• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

So....what did you do to your foxbody today?

broncojunkie

I'm still working on the boat for another 12 days. But I did manage to order a new fuel level sending unit, which showed up at the house today. I also got one of those bubble tire balance deals. I hope to be road- worthy within a couple days of getting home.

Master cylinder, attach parking brake cable, new windshield, balance tires, change tranny and rear-end fluid, adjust clutch, fuel level sending unit... and I think that's about it! I may start on the body while I'm off.

John2002

Our first car show was a HIT!!!! I wasn't able to take any photos but my buddy said they made 140 gift bags for cars that showed up and he ran out of them before the show started....WOW!!! I got there about 5:30 but had to go back home to fire up the grill and cook for my guests.We went back at 6:30 and both sides of our downtown Cirlce Avenue were almost full.

broncojunkie

Yep. Got me a good used hood, interior quarter panels, door sills, back seat (non matching, but will work till I find the right one or have it reupholstered), power mirror switch, smog pump delete pulley, rear hatch area carpet, rear interior hatch area plastic parts, battery tray, and a few other odds and ends. I also received shipment on a new fuel level sending unit, receiever head unit and pigtail, clear 6 piece headlight set. Will pick up tomorrow at the parts store...some new matching lug nuts, a couple wheel studs, and a new master cylinder.

I think that will keep me busy for a while, lol! Oh, and the guy I bought the rear seat from also threw in a couple LX front seats in grey. I don't technically need them, but it may be nice to have them whenever I take my 82 GT seats in for new upholstery (which will be a long time from now).

I'm still trying to rest up from work and trying to re-adjust from my jacked up work/sleep schedule, but I hope to start digging in a little today. So much stuff here, I'm not really sure where to start. I believe I may fix one side of my brake shoes that I put on backward and then replace the fuel level sending unit. Moving the battery back up front might be next, but I may need to order new battery cables. Not really sure yet.

broncojunkie

I got the brake shoes straightened out yesterday and started working on the master cylinder, until I twisted one of the brake lines. Spent today getting that fixed, which turned out to be a huge ordeal. I just got it in. Storm came through, so I'll bleed the lines tomorrow, along with balancing the tires (since I'll have them off anyway). Ialso installed the head unit, so I have something to listen to while turning wrenches.

I put the drivers side plastic interior quarter panel in. Other side will have to wait till I move the battery back up front... which I may do tomorrow. Still haven't had a chance to work on the fuel level sending unit. Probably next on the list, after relocating the battery.

Edit: Forgot to add that I picked up some new battery cables. Started putting the new rear seat in, but looks like someone cut the bracketthat anchors the two split rear seat backs. Ordered one off ebay yesterday.

lyonmt

Sweet. I spent 8 hours yesterday changing the axle bearings and seals on the Ranger. It should have taken an hour or two, but due to a lot of misinformation, I spent the day driving all over God's green earth!

broncojunkie

Sweet. I spent 8 hours yesterday changing the axle bearings and seals on the Ranger. It should have taken an hour or two, but due to a lot of misinformation, I spent the day driving all over God's green earth!

Sounds like me with these brake lines! Bubble flare vs double flare; metric vs standard. No one seemed to have the stuff that fit together. I finally just used a compression fitting, which I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do. Oh well... it's just brakes lol!

broncojunkie

Went to the DMV. Contracted disentary. Got tags. And got the ol gal on the road!

Didn't get to drive far. Just took it to the shop down the road to get a few things buttoned up. I was impressed with how good it felt, though.

broncojunkie

[QOUTE="lyonmt, post: 5527, member: 6647"]Is this your first fox?[/QUOTE]
No, but I'm 40 and havent had one since my mid 20s.

John2002

: ( not fun at a convertible night car show and it rained...should of kept her in the garage but I said I'd be there...10% chance of rain but it rained from the time we got there at 6:00 till the time they picked up the traffic cones off the sidewalk a half hour later. Wents over to the VFW and shot some pool and drank a few buckets dry....and it was still raining on our way home at 9:00....

Last edited:

John2002

Got the cover back on the over the top and washed the car one more time and put the blankets back on her..Happy 4th of July everyone....Graet day for a convertible ...75 and sunny.....

broncojunkie

Tried adjusting my clutch, but it appears someone already tried adjusting the pos factory stuff. I'm guessing the cable stretched out from 27 years of use. I was able to shim the cable by using a washer, but it looks like someone already did that in the past. Got her tightened up, but pumped the clutch a few times and the plastic quadrant stripped.

Got tired of fooling with it, so I got online and ordered a BBK adjustable clutch cable, aluminum quadrant, and firewall adjuster. Should be an easy install, except for the quadrant. Not much elbow room... even with the drivers seat removed.

Any experience with this particular cable kit? Pointers on dealing with the quadrant? It does NOT look easy to get to!

Blown347

Staff member
Tried adjusting my clutch, but it appears someone already tried adjusting the pos factory stuff. I'm guessing the cable stretched out from 27 years of use. I was able to shim the cable by using a washer, but it looks like someone already did that in the past. Got her tightened up, but pumped the clutch a few times and the plastic quadrant stripped.

Got tired of fooling with it, so I got online and ordered a BBK adjustable clutch cable, aluminum quadrant, and firewall adjuster. Should be an easy install, except for the quadrant. Not much elbow room... even with the drivers seat removed.

Any experience with this particular cable kit? Pointers on dealing with the quadrant? It does NOT look easy to get to!

I like this kit, BUT be prepared your clutch pedal is going to get pretty heavy. I always tell people to buy a factory replacement cable and just run an aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster. Every aftermarket cable stiffens the pedal up quite a bit.

broncojunkie

The factory cable is cheap and readily available at the local parts store. I could still make it happen. I didn't realize the firewall adjuster would be compatible. I'm not really sure how it works. Seems to me that the cable would need to be 2 pieces, but I can tell from the pic that's not the case.

Anyway, the factory cable doesn't have an adjustment at the clutch fork. That's a pretty nice feature, I think. The car already has an aftermarket clutch (centerforce) and is pretty stiff. I wonder if this will make it noticeably worse. I think I'll just try this one. If it doesn't feel good, I'll swap it. The cable is the easy part, imo. The quadrant is what I'm dreading!

Blown347

Staff member
The factory cable is cheap and readily available at the local parts store. I could still make it happen. I didn't realize the firewall adjuster would be compatible. I'm not really sure how it works. Seems to me that the cable would need to be 2 pieces, but I can tell from the pic that's not the case.

Anyway, the factory cable doesn't have an adjustment at the clutch fork. That's a pretty nice feature, I think. The car already has an aftermarket clutch (centerforce) and is pretty stiff. I wonder if this will make it noticeably worse. I think I'll just try this one. If it doesn't feel good, I'll swap it. The cable is the easy part, imo. The quadrant is what I'm dreading!

Oh yea, no tips, no easy way to do it without pulling the dash, just gotta get your extensions, knuckles and hands up in there lol.

The cable slides into the firewall adjuster, so any cable will work with it.

I had the same setup in my racecar when it had a 5 speed, Centerforce dual friction and the bbk kit. It was atrocious if you hit traffic lol.