• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

So....what did you do to your foxbody today?

broncojunkie

Had my 2 hauled to the house today, finally!. Ordered a turbine-style rim for the 88, since one of them were chipped pretty bad on the edge. I'm planning on getting her running Monday (fingers crossed) and maybe a new set of tires next week, since they are dry rotted pretty bad. I'm going to focus on getting it road-worhy. The 82 model is supposed to be on the back burner, but I have a mechanic I know who wants some side work. Thinking I might let him get it running. Not sure what all it needs, but none of the ignition is hooked up and the driveshaft is laying in the back of the car. Can't pull it up into the driveway to have room to work on it, so it may work out good for me to let him do it. I've got 18 days before I go back out on the river, so wish me luck!

broncojunkie

Figured out why the 88 wouldn't start. Classic busted ignition switch. I figured that's what it was, so I already had one in-hand. Unfortunately, I can't find my torx security bit set, so I'll have to get one in the morning.

broncojunkie

Got the switch installed and it now cranks over. It will fire up with starting fluid, but no fuel pressure whatsoever.

I spent this evening checking relays and the inertia switch. Turns out, I can't hear the pump running when flipping the ignition to the "on" position. The relay is clicking when I jump power to it, and I can hear it click when I turn the ignition switch to "on". I then checked the power going to the pump. I had someone turn the ignition switch while holding my volt meter on the wiring going through the floor to the pump. It was getting power.

I am going to assume the connection at the fuel pump is bad, or the pump itself is toast. Now I need to figure out how I can drop the tank with the car parked on my hill. It's either that or tow it to a shop.

John2002

We had the car out Saturday night....very loud now without the cats., the "check engine" liight flash a few times. The last time I filled it up was in September so I'm hoping to run it down near empty and try
CRC's 1 Tank....Getting hit here with another week of rain again. The cai came in on Thursday but still not ready to do any wrenching till my back heals...

Genaro

Sent another payment for my 92, which I left in Missouri, when I moved there for a short period of time. Several more hundred to go and then get a new starter/battery. And finally figure out how to get her to Florida!! :confused:

broncojunkie

Surprisingly enough, the tank itself looks to be in excellent shape. The pump, though, didn't fare as well after sitting in an empty tank for a few years. After the new fuel pump, the car fired right up and idled like a brand new car. No miss or sputtering whatsoever. I just ran it for a few minutes. I'm planning on getting it pulled up into the driveway this week so I can work on it. The front tires won't hold air, so I'm going to see if I can get a couple used ones just for temporary use. It won't be driven on the road for a couple months, at least. I plan on completely redoing the brakes, wheel bearings, shocks, snd probably a few other things I come across in the process.

John2002

I was gonna hoof my cookies for a second there...wow... that looks like it was in an acid bath...you can make out the different levels of the fuel and the fumes....last fill up might have been racing gas???

Last edited:

broncojunkie

Hard to say. I don't think he beat on this thing too bad. He had (still has) a notchback set up for drag. This one was more of a daily driver. It doesn't have much in the line of performance upgrades. The battery is relocated to the rear, the engine bay had some detail work (which now looks pretty rough.)

I'm afraid to look at my 82 GT. I bet it's worse. I've already decided that I'm replacing the tank and pump before I even get it running. That one has the remnants of a nos system in it. Not sure when it was last running. I'm going to guess mid 90's, judging by some of the aftermarket junk on it.

broncojunkie

Poured rain all day today, so haven't been able to work on her. I did go to the parts store and picked up coolant, thermostat, and flush n fill kit. If the weather clears up tomorrow, I'll do that and maybe rear brake shoes. Oh...I also came home to a package on the front porch. My replacement turbine rim. Ordered new lift supports and exterior door handle for the passenger side. Those 2 things have irritated me since day one. I decided even though they seem insignificant in the whole scheme of things, I've had enough.

broncojunkie

Well, I got some rat killin done today. Even went to my parents' house to put brakes on mom's car, since I noticed the other day they were sounding rough and she's going on a 5 hour trip tomorrow. Got home a couple hours ago and the rain had stopped. Went ahead and flushed the coolant this evening. Replaced the thermostat while I was at it. I was pleasantly surprised to find the old coolant didn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would. I'm hoping tomorrow will be nice. I'm planning on doing the rear brakes. Every day, it's one step closer to getting her back on the road.

John2002

Nothing again today with the car, I start work at 3 am and it was raining then..... it stopped about 8 am but by that time I left work at 11:30 was 41 degrees....soon they say we might get into the 70's.

broncojunkie

Nothing again today with the car, I start work at 3 am and it was raining then..... it stopped about 8 am but by that time I left work at 11:30 was 41 degrees....soon they say we might get into the 70's.
Same here. It rained all day, even though the weather geniuses said it was supposed to be clear, with slight chance of isolated showers. It cleared up for about an hour. I went out and started working on the mustang, but it literally started hailing out of nowhere. No wind, thunder, etc. It just started hailing. Rain after that. I did get a chance to hose all of the tree pollen off of her. It was everywhere. We have a very large deck on the front of the house and it was covered. I spent a good 45 minutes hosing off the deck and the cars.

Tomorrow, I plan on going down the road and setting up on the side of the road. There is a flea market type deal. Nothing official, but they've been doing it for years. Just a place on the side of the road where you can sell junk. We have to get rid of some junk and I would love to make some room in the shed to store some parts and work on stuff for the cars. The goal is to sell enough to pay for a new set of tires for the 88. :D

John2002

I was shocked when I went to look for new tires, 15 inches are hard to find...not many brands carrry a high performance tire that small. I got Fusion HRI from a local tire shop. Good quiet ride, taller side wall and an all season thread design . But Im not taking it out in the other 3 seasons.

broncojunkie

I was shocked when I went to look for new tires, 15 inches are hard to find...not many brands carrry a high performance tire that small. I got Fusion HRI from a local tire shop. Good quiet ride, taller side wall and an all season thread design . But Im not taking it out in the other 3 seasons.
I've been wondering about the tire choices. The Fusion was one that the tire shops were quoting and also the Cooper CS4. I agree, though, the 15" tire is getting hard to find these days.