• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My new 91 LX hatch!

Blown347

Staff member
Latest project for the LX:

Installed a kicker 10" sub and amp. Replaced the dash speakers with some pioneer 2-ways.

That completes the sound system, I've replaced the deck, every speaker in the car (still had all factory stuff with a CD player from 1995) and now the sub. Sounds awesome!

ja7uhy7a.jpg

John2002

I can't hear my radio at speeds higher then 40 mph.... I lost the AM side of the stock radio last year, traffic reports are about the only thing I need out of my radio...

Blown347

Staff member
I can't hear my radio at speeds higher then 40 mph.... I lost the AM side of the stock radio last year, traffic reports are about the only thing I need out of my radio...
Ha not me. Even the race car has a nice stereo. I'm not one for huge systems and all that nonsense, but gotta have music :)

John2002

Yeah, if I could get my 79 Olds Cutlass Salon back, that I did add a 40 watt power booster and 2 three way 6X9's speakers in the back. My stock 07 Ranger radio can really hold its own. I guess its because of the small cab...

Blown347

Staff member
More progress with the LX:

Replaced those hideous aftermarket lights with some nice OE's. I also bought some bumper insert decals from late model resto:

5ubegany.jpg

And grabbed me a nice set of 3 Bar GT-40 heads off an explorer in the junk yard. Going to take my dremel to them, hot tank them replace valve seals and paint them. Hope to have them in the car around Christmas time or soon after:

saqepy5u.jpg

Blown347

Staff member
Dropped the heads off at the machine shop. I'll pick them up on monday and start some mild porting. then take them back to have them hot tanked and valve seals replaced and in they go :)

Blown347

Staff member
This motor won't pull enough air to warrant gasket matching the ports, all it will do is loose low end torque.

87_notchfox

just another notch among the rest lol...
Ohh I thought about getting my 3 bar heads ported n have a good valve job done to them

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Blown347

Staff member
thats what i bought, 3 bars. if they're on a 302 the valve job will give you some power, but porting them extensively will just make you lose low end torque, especially with a lower lift cam. not really worth the money. doing it yourself will get you some power, but paying someone just isn't worth it IMO

87_notchfox

Oh right on...because I would run a E cam or I think it's comp cams E cam replacement. But I also want my cobra intake cleaned up...

Blown347

Staff member
yea opening up the runners will net you a little more top end power, but you will loose way more low end then its worth due to lack of velocity so to speak. the only time i'd say its really worth it to port them to hell is if you're strapping gt40s to a high compression 306-310 CI race motor for like factory stock racing. otherwise (especially for the street) its not worth it. but the valve job will see some gains, around 5 hp over untouched heads.

87_notchfox

Ohh good to know. I thought about going 306 with it but need to find a good n reasonable shop. Before I step up to 331 or 347

Blown347

Staff member
Ohh good to know. I thought about going 306 with it but need to find a good n reasonable shop. Before I step up to 331 or 347

I'd say just do a 331 from the start. A 331 puts less stress on cylinder walls compared to a 347 because of the shorter stroke, so with a stock block its a lot safer and will last longer. Plus if you do a 306, then bump up, it will cost way more money in the long run paying a machine shop twice and pulling it twice instead of once.

87_notchfox

I thought going 306 at first. The just getting longer rods n another crank for the 331

Blown347

Staff member
Yes but then new bearings, and the stroker clearancing, idk i understand sometimes budget dictates but i think it'd be better when you're talking about short block work to save and only deal with it once

Blown347

Staff member
Some updates on the LX: relocated the battery to the hatch.

a6y7ypad.jpg

Installed KYB struts, new heater core, new brake booster, new door check springs.

And I got new wheels!! Staggered 10th anniv cobras with NT555 radials. 17x9/255s in the front, 17x10/275s in the back.

epemuha3.jpg

evu6a4y2.jpg

Dropped off the GT40 heads to be shot peened then they will be ready for assembly. Have new head gaskets and ARP head bolts waiting.

87_notchfox

Where you getting ur head work done at...I got a set of used gt40x heads with minor damage to the deck that need some machining and I want to do a port match on them