• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1993 4-cyl. To v8 302 swap! Eye candy ;)

Mnstr50

I've been driving the beast around, the AC and cruise are functional, which is a plus! the alignment is off, so I need to find the time to get that taken care of. The TV cable needs to be set, as it's prematurely up-shifting under light load. Once those two are taken care of, I'll get the car on the rollers so we can see what kind of power this thing is making.

Mnstr50

Ok- So I've been driving my 93' around for about a week now, and I don't think I've got 3.73's? I'm seeing about 1,600-1,700rpm (on the factory tach) at 70mph (GPS). I'm thinking I've either got the stock 2.73's, or 3.08's? Needless to say, it's not short enough for me. I was hoping I could get away with the 3.73's the previous owner (of the donor car) told me it was equipped with. Now that I know I definitely don't have 3.73's, I'm thinkin' I might as well step up to 4.10's.

87_notchfox

just another notch among the rest lol...
Right now I am looking at that option for my wife's...not sure if. 3.73 or 4.10 gears like fiveohinfo recommends

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Mnstr50

Right now I am looking at that option for my wife's...not sure if. 3.73 or 4.10 gears like fiveohinfo recommends

I was debating on 3.73's or 4.10's my self, but I think I'm going to go "big", and go 4.10's. It's a 250rpm difference between the two at OD. I'd rather go 4.10's than purchase 3.73's and be dissapointed.

87_notchfox

I was debating on 3.73's or 4.10's my self, but I think I'm going to go "big", and go 4.10's. It's a 250rpm difference between the two at OD. I'd rather go 4.10's than purchase 3.73's and be dissapointed.
Well it's going to be for the wife and she might use it as a daily but I'll see if u get ur 4.10's in before I do my wife's diff

Mnstr50

You won't notice the front isolators removed in terms of handling (unless you're a hardcore autocross'er or similar. In which case you'd probably want a more sophisticated suspension setup anyway). The point of removing the isolators is to lower it another 1/4-1/2 of an inch. No ill-effects when removed. However, with the rear isolators removed, the rear end gets a bit noisy (due to the height of the spring, which is kind of short. Also, the way the rear spring is seated.).

Mnstr50

Well it's going to be for the wife and she might use it as a daily but I'll see if u get ur 4.10's in before I do my wife's diff

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on gears and vehicle use. 4.10's might be too short for a "realistic" daily driver. I'd go 2.73-3.31 or 3.55's on a true daily. Now if you want a fun ride that "can be" daily driven (maybe not extended highway use) than 3.73 and 4.10's will get it done.

87_notchfox

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on gears and vehicle use. 4.10's might be too short for a "realistic" daily driver. I'd go 2.73-3.31 or 3.55's on a true daily. Now if you want a fun ride that "can be" daily driven (maybe not extended highway use) than 3.73 and 4.10's will get it done.
I got 3.73 on my daily but it's a 5 speed. I had another AOD trans coupe with 3.73 and it moved good n had good gas mileage. The on 4.10 experience I had was with my old modular coupe with a t-45 trans and my 70 mph RPM was about 2600

Mnstr50

I got 3.73 on my daily but it's a 5 speed. I had another AOD trans coupe with 3.73 and it moved good n had good gas mileage. The on 4.10 experience I had was with my old modular coupe with a t-45 trans and my 70 mph RPM was about 2600

My blue 88' notch, also had 3.73's and a t-5 (5th gear ratio .675) , but with the short first gear (3.35) I wasn't crazy about it (stock long block).

The AOD has a .667 4th gear (marginal difference from a t-5), so the highway cruising engine speed should be similar. What I also have to consider is the stall converter that I intend to go with down the road. I wanted to go with a none lock-up, so my highway engine speed will be slightly higher after the trans/stall build.

87_notchfox

My blue 88' notch, also had 3.73's and a t-5 (5th gear ratio .675) , but with the short first gear (3.35) I wasn't crazy about it (stock long block).

The AOD has a .667 4th gear (marginal difference from a t-5), so the highway cruising engine speed should be similar. What I also have to consider is the stall converter that I intend to go with down the road. I wanted to go with a none lock-up, so my highway engine speed will be slightly higher after the trans/stall build.
I thought about that also. Baumann engineering recommends a 2400 stall converter for AOD's...but I need to email them n ask them about the gears