• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1993 4-cyl. To v8 302 swap! Eye candy ;)

Mnstr50

Saweet!!! Love me some conversions! Werent all Mustang's supposed to come V8. Just saying! Keep up the good work man it looks like your doing a great job on this.

Thanks a lot! I agree, the 4 cylinder would have been far more appealing if it was more fuel efficient. Not to mention the monster support for the v8!

The engine is being built by Mustang Mike (his website listed in my other posts).

The driveline swap is being done by a friend of mine, because I don't have the room for it. I did the suspension install.

Mnstr50

Ok-
4-cyl. Gauges removed and replaced with the v8 gauge panel (out of my 90' donor car)

Shift indicator, and cables removed from the A4LD, and replaced with the AOD components;

Freshly wrapped engine harness goes in, along with the computer for the V8, as well as fresh steering rack;

Headlight harness;

Sn95, 1994 v6 brake booster, brake master, maximum motorsports adaptor go in;

Everything will be pressure washed after install!

Mnstr50

Did the booster bolt right in?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Yes, the 94-95' brake boosters will bolt right in. I believe the 94'-95' cobra might have a larger external diameter, but with some clearancing, you should be fine. The v6 booster (which is what I am using), is also larger than the fox GT booster.

Mnstr50

Sorry for the delay in updates, here we go,
4-lug to 5-lug swap, 4-lug hardware removed;

Lower control arms removed to install poly bushings;

94' front hubs, rotors, calipers, new pads, new hardware, new lines;

Mnstr50

I have more updates, but photobucket doesn't want to play nice right now. I'll get them up as soon as photobucket cooperates. the differential is in the car at this point, along with the 3.73:1 gears, and 5-lug disk brakes. The motor is in the car as well, but we're having some issues lining up the solid motor mounts.

Mnstr50

Ok- so here are some photos of the modifications and updates.

the GT40 iron heads offered on the early Explorer's didn't have provisions in the heads for the thermactor tube. I did want to retain it to make it appear as though we had a functioning emissions system in place;

photo of the stock tube

installed on block

painted for final install

differential, exhaust, e-brake cables, driveshaft are in

The ACTS provisions (after thought)

Engine going in

Driver side motor mount was way off! We had to resort to rubber mounts

Motor finally in

Motor in

Emissions components

87_notchfox

just another notch among the rest lol...
Looking good...can't wait to do the wife's swap

Mnstr50

Cant wait to see the video of it running! I also love the "appearance of a working smog system" lol!

Pretty cool right? I really enjoy spending time on the details, and attempted to cover something up as "stock". I think for my next build, i want to do a Boss 302 block- stroker, with alloy heads then paint the heads cast iron grey! lol.... Do some extensive intake manifold porting (or possibly go aftermarket lower intake manifold, with a stock upper fabricated to it) so I can play it off as being a "stock" 302 with a cam in it! lol... sleeper!

We got it fired up today, but I'll have to get the TPS set, the fuel pressure set, and the timing dialed in. It should sound pretty mild with the stock cat's, stock air box and a 114 LSA on the cam (F303).

Mnstr50

cleaned up the vacuum lines, used electric wire insulation to protect the lines;

new 3-core alloy radiator is in

new fan clutch, fan, belt tensioner, belt, hoses, clamps, r134a conversion done

new battery cables, air box, 76mm MAF, and other details ironed out, it's coming together

87_notchfox

Which gt40 heads did u use. I had some off a early explorer and they had the thermal plugs on the heads. I hope to get mine in and running in the next week or so...then try to swap the wife's car over

Mnstr50

Which gt40 heads did u use. I had some off a early explorer and they had the thermal plugs on the heads. I hope to get mine in and running in the next week or so...then try to swap the wife's car over

I'm using an early explorer GT40 (3-bar) head. Not the GT40P heads. I am also using an early Ford Explorer intake manifold (which does have EGR provisions). All my research indicated that the none "Cobra" specific GT40 heads did not have provisions for a thermactor tube.

I wasn't aware of this until AFTER my engine builder brought it to my attention. Which resulted in doing further research.

Mnstr50

I had the early 3 bar also

Is it possible you had the true Cobra heads? We had to modify the thermactor tube (cut and drill another hole for the bolt to run through it) just to attach it.

Take a look at your heads, looking into the threaded holes. Mine did not have passages. I hear some involved modification is required to have truly functional emissions provisions in the heads.

87_notchfox

The cobra heads were a F3z something number...the ones I had were a f6 number

87_notchfox

gaburure.jpg

Mnstr50

Here are some pictures of the hood back on, and buttoned up. The 5-lug wheels are also on. I'll get some better "scenic" pictures as soon as I can. I have to get some details ironed out still.

The engine bay before a nice cleaning, and ironing out the details