• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

So....what did you do to your foxbody today?

broncojunkie

This is a little late. Should have posted this last week, but I'm just getting around to it.

For once, I'm glad to report that I actually just DROVE IT! I post a lot of wrenching updates, working on all these cars. A lot of parts collecting lol! But I pulled her outside to wash the dust off and then decided to take her for a spin. I had done some tweaking of the timing and replaced the lug nuts, since I wasn't feeling much confidence in the set that came with my vision wheels. The last time I drove the car (my wife's 88gt), it was right after upgrading wheels, tires, rear end (3.73 gears), tubular upper and lower control arms, axel seals, and bearings. After driving it down the road, the rear seemed to float around some. I wasn't sure what it was, but I figured I was going to have to go back in and redo something. The lug nuts came with a special socket in a star pattern, which I broke before completely torquing the last two on the left rear wheel. I had ordered a new set of standard lug nuts after researching the correct thread and seat for these wheels. Anyway, I came across them while doing some straightening in the garage. I replaced all the lug nuts (I had ordered a special replacement socket for the fancy set) and took the car out.

To my surprise, the ride was completely normal! No floating around the road! Car was also running great! So I took it out running some errands. A few spirited "test hits" lol and one thing became apparent. The Cooper Cobras, although a nice quality tire, wasn't cutting it in the traction department. So the other night, I ordered a couple Nitto drag radials (nt555r) from Discount Tire Direct. They had the best price I could find and free shipping. They arrived at my doorstep in about 46 hrs! It will be a while before I can put them on, since I'm back to work and won't be home till around Christmas (if I'm lucky).

Hope everyone is having a good thanksgiving!

broncojunkie

Thanks! It's getting there. Still need to paint the hood and address a couple minor issues, but we'll be hitting some cruise-ins and Mustang club meets this spring. Might even have the pace car close enough to get it out some!

And your username reminded me. I did some major brake work to my 79 cobra the other day, too. Also had a c4 transmission rebuilt for it. I just need to find time to start doing body work.

John2002

Bravo... and its almost like you knew it would happen that way...LOL.... I had a bad year with mine....about 2,500 dollars in repairs alone...I'm still trying to piece the receipts together.....

Great to hear your getting the cobra into service. Rear disc brake upgrade or stock? I too will be doing a built up c4 soon and will be adding a gear vendor under/overdrive unit to it.

broncojunkie

Great to hear your getting the cobra into service. Rear disc brake upgrade or stock? I too will be doing a built up c4 soon and will be adding a gear vendor under/overdrive unit to it.
Stock drums for now. The c4, I had done by a local guy who has been building them for racing since before I was born. From what I'm told, it should last forever! Looking forward to getting it in there and bolted up to some version of a worked-over 351w!

broncojunkie

Bravo... and its almost like you knew it would happen that way...LOL.... I had a bad year with mine....about 2,500 dollars in repairs alone...I'm still trying to piece the receipts together.....
Your first mistake was looking at receipts lol! I try my best to look away!

chad mcccance

This is a little late. Should have posted this last week, but I'm just getting around to it.

For once, I'm glad to report that I actually just DROVE IT! I post a lot of wrenching updates, working on all these cars. A lot of parts collecting lol! But I pulled her outside to wash the dust off and then decided to take her for a spin. I had done some tweaking of the timing and replaced the lug nuts, since I wasn't feeling much confidence in the set that came with my vision wheels. The last time I drove the car (my wife's 88gt), it was right after upgrading wheels, tires, rear end (3.73 gears), tubular upper and lower control arms, axel seals, and bearings. After driving it down the road, the rear seemed to float around some. I wasn't sure what it was, but I figured I was going to have to go back in and redo something. The lug nuts came with a special socket in a star pattern, which I broke before completely torquing the last two on the left rear wheel. I had ordered a new set of standard lug nuts after researching the correct thread and seat for these wheels. Anyway, I came across them while doing some straightening in the garage. I replaced all the lug nuts (I had ordered a special replacement socket for the fancy set) and took the car out.

To my surprise, the ride was completely normal! No floating around the road! Car was also running great! So I took it out running some errands. A few spirited "test hits" lol and one thing became apparent. The Cooper Cobras, although a nice quality tire, wasn't cutting it in the traction department. So the other night, I ordered a couple Nitto drag radials (nt555r) from Discount Tire Direct. They had the best price I could find and free shipping. They arrived at my doorstep in about 46 hrs! It will be a while before I can put them on, since I'm back to work and won't be home till around Christmas (if I'm lucky).

Hope everyone is having a good thanksgiving!
the car is looking great. glad to hear you are driving it now.

John2002

Might be driving mine on Monday, I got 11 weeks of dust on it to wash off first...LOL...the weatherman said it might reach 60 on Monday by us....
I guess we aren't getting any closer to solving global warming....I hope I can get it out to at least put some miles on the repairs...I know if I sit on it now till March...all those "what if's" will be hounding me...I want to run the tank down to about 3/4 and maybe see if its back to normal mpg's ...
I removed the strut tower brace and cowl cover and wiper arms and taped up around the fenders and firewall before I dropped it off... thats should be the only things I need to do before we take it out on Monday... It fires right up and the idle begins to level off after about 30 seconds , just like it did before I began my saga in February...I changed the oil last Sunday and added about 5 ounces of Lucas Fuel Injector and upper cylinder lube to the tank but I did it after I already filled it up when it got out of the shop....I can only hope that when we get it out that the roads won't be full of mall rats heading out again to cause traffic jams at 2 in the afternoon...I'd like to jump on a toll road and just get it out and remember what it was like with the top down and sun in the sky.... Oh yeah....thats what it was like........I'll head out to the garage and try to figure out just how much it ended costing....I swept everything into a box and just kept pushing it around the floor hoping not to notice it at all.....Oh well, you live, you learn and you learn to leave it alone......LOL......$$$$

broncojunkie

Just to show you how bad I'm getting, I'm replacing the brand new rear tires on the pace car. They've literally never touched the ground. I have problems.

mustanggarage

Just to show you how bad I'm getting, I'm replacing the brand new rear tires on the pace car. They've literally never touched the ground. I have problems.
you definitely have problems lol. right now I am going through withdrawals. I need to find a new project to start on soon. lately I just walk around and look at my cars and feel depressed. I don't have any projects brewing. so I sit at my computer and play games and waste time.

John2002

Just finished washing both cars, my wife had the idea of "as long as the hose is out" can you do mine...I did... I pulled all my receipts in and the grand total was $2345.00 with a total of 32 weeks and 3 days in 4 different shops...two shops didn't charge my anything because they didn't find a problem with what I did....got it on the battery tender now waiting for Monday....hopefully we can put on a 100 miles road trip without any issues....

John2002

Had it out for about a 47 mile drive....2 in the afternoon and way to many gravel trucks on the toll road....felt like old times.....except we had to keep the top up for some reason....I just had to turn the idle adjustment screw back about 3/4 of a turn when we got home.... it was idling at about 25 mph in second gear with my foot off the gas....I like it when the car idles at about 750 with the car in drive and my foot on the brake...I had the tank full when we left but with a few times running in the garage when I got it home and after I did the oil change last Sunday...it only ticked down one dash below full...At full its straight up past the full mark so I guess it only use about 2 gallons...I'll try and get it out again this weekend to run the gauge down to half before I top it off again for storage....for the life of me we never got better then 75 miles at about half a tank...whether in the city or on the high way always the same mpg...13 to 15....

broncojunkie

Ordered a new lock actuator for the 88gt and all new lock cylinders for the 86 coupe. The keys for this one were lost many years ago. Time to start putting some life back into this gal. As for the 88, the passenger door lock hasn't worked since I got it.

John2002

Yeah, thats sounds like a lot of trouble....lol.... I have no plans on the car...that way I can't mess anything up this winter....well, at least I can still hook up the trickle charger and cover the car without any catastrophe.... the garage got a new tool cabinet.....that should keep my hands busy for a few weeks....had too many hide and go seeks with tool box after tool box on the floor....might get it all off the floor and in to the new cabinet so when I do need something all I'll have to worry about is where its new spot is....LOL