• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My fox is dead :'(

Blown347

Staff member
I would think even Jose's body shop would at least pick up a phone.... haha....
I think I would be less angry if they didn't answer the phone. It's more like they answer, then say let me call you back in 10-15 minutes and never do. This has happened at least 10 times since my car has been there.

Sad to hear, Something is definately wrong. If they never get back to you, to me it either means the person on the phone dosen't have an answer for you, (who ever it is. shop manager)? or they spent the insurance money check already, and are waiting for a customer to pay for a finished vehicle before buying parts for your car. Unless the shop was big enough so you don't sign over the insurance check until you have inspected your finished car and happy with the repairs on the completed vehicle. (which should be done at all times). In either case it's unfortunate that they are handling your vehicle the way they are. It definately sounds like they are stalling to give you an answer. Unfortunately you can't just take your car out and go somewhere else now that the parts have been cut off and nothing has been straightened yet underneath.

My Dos Centavos...
I would be dealing directly with the owner on this from here on in. no straw boss, estimaters or shop forman (even though the shop forman is usually the only one that knows the whole picture and would be the one to know exactly what is going on) Pin the owner down on dates and times of each phase. parts, straighting, refinishing to delivery. keep in his or her face about it frequently (politely at first then adjust as needed) always specifiying the quality job you expect each time the matter is discussed.

It is most likely a problem with either bodyshop management or the insurance co., Unless there isn't enough time for the bodyman or painter to do a quality job on the final estimate I doubt its the repair crew. But someone obviously has dropped the ball. (My moneys on your insurance company)

The only other (most commom problem) is that to save the car for you, the insurance company short sheeted your original estimate. It also could be once the damaged area was cut from the car and the insurance estimater came back a second time on a supplement request by the shop for the hidden damage after teardown. They could have just given a little bit more to the metalman or painter and shop for repair and nothing more. In that case, with the bodyman and possibly painter and shop stuck in the middle of doing a quality repair and not getting the correct cost to do so, they maybe in limbo with it and are not giving answers and working on everyone elses cars until they fiqure out what to do. However if there was an extra supplement request and it was denied by Ins. your insurance would be definately giving you a call saying they had found more damage under the damaged sheetmetal and the car is now deemed as non repairairable. (Then giving you chicken scratch for your beautiful car).

You might ask these questions to the owner specifically... I hope something here may help and good luck....

Blown347

Staff member
Ha it's funny because I've done all of these things, but it's been with the shop foreman. No I have the check from the insurance company, they're not getting a dime until its right lol.

I caused quite a scene in their shop yesterday too. I may not be too good with body repair, but I'm a Corporal of Marines. I'm pretty good at yelling ;) lol

Thanks to the administrator for giving us more options for smileys today. I wanted to be the first to use them.
I thought this post would be appropriate to use them on.........

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefined undefined
I want my Damn car finished Now!! and I want it finished right! Dammit!!!!!!!! Move it!! Move it!! Move it!!.........

Yeah, for some reason they are not showing up on the text. they just come up undefined. I'll have to keep working on it to see what's up. Maybe I put too many of them on at once..

Blown347

Staff member
So I got the call from the shop that they got the door and front fender, and he said they couldn't find a good rear quarter.

20 minutes of Craigslist and 3 phone calls later I found a perfect unwrecked car with the original paint. Amazing, it's so hard. Lol so they're supposed to be cutting it off for me tomorrow so the shop can pick it up

So I got the call from the shop that they got the door and front fender, and he said they couldn't find a good rear quarter.

20 minutes of Craigslist and 3 phone calls later I found a perfect unwrecked car with the original paint. Amazing, it's so hard. Lol so they're supposed to be cutting it off for me tomorrow so the shop can pick it up

Good news. Hopefully they will moving forward now.

AT6svo

When they pulled the "I can't find the 1/4 panel" sob story with me, with me the next day I took a half day of work, went down to Ecology with my sawzall and gave them the 1/4 by the close of business that day. Same story with the roof skin. I replaced the fender & door before ever even taking into the shop.

Should one have to do this? No? Is it bullshit? Yes. Does the average normal non-car enthusiast have to deal with this? Not so much because more often than not they total the car or the car involved is much newer and easier to get parts for. They way I see it, it is a small price to pay on my part to ensure my car will be the best it can be for the least cost involved.

I care about my cars a lot, the avergage joe consumer does not. Soon as you make clear to all parties that you are not the average consumer and you're not going to tolerate the norm people will take notice but be prepared to work for it. I did it for the love of my car.

88lx elmo

CARNAGE 88 LX
Having your car in the shop can be so frustrating. Specially when they don't put in 100% and give you the runaround......I feel your pain I was suppose to get my car today but now its until Monday afternoon hopefully.

Blown347

Staff member
I was there last night. The door and fender are there, They look nice. Still waiting on word for the quarter though. :(

rkuhn

Most of these professional shops are more interested in getting out the quick fix insurance claims. This is where they make the bulk of their money. Change a bumper, or a fender, or pull a dent or two out. With big jobs although they charge you an arm and a leg they take their sweet little time thinking they already have your car and their not in a hurry. I've seen some take up to a year. They put yours to the side to do the quick and easy jobs.
I'm not saying this to frighten you. I'm saying it as a warning that your need to stay on them. I would let them know that you are going to start coming by and checking on your car on a regular basis. You also don't want to rush them to the point of them doing a shabby job or ticking them of either so you have to walk a fine line. I know it is a frustrating process but the end result will be worth it!!!

Most of these professional shops are more interested in getting out the quick fix insurance claims. This is where they make the bulk of their money. Change a bumper, or a fender, or pull a dent or two out. With big jobs although they charge you an arm and a leg they take their sweet little time thinking they already have your car and their not in a hurry. I've seen some take up to a year. They put yours to the side to do the quick and easy jobs.
I'm not saying this to frighten you. I'm saying it as a warning that your need to stay on them. I would let them know that you are going to start coming by and checking on your car on a regular basis. You also don't want to rush them to the point of them doing a shabby job or ticking them of either so you have to walk a fine line. I know it is a frustrating process but the end result will be worth it!!!

I agree. I went through this same process with one of my cars back in 94-95 in Oakland.

Having your car in the shop can be so frustrating. Specially when they don't put in 100% and give you the runaround......I feel your pain I was suppose to get my car today but now its until Monday afternoon hopefully.

Hopefully....Monday. hopefully true.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D.

Blown347

Staff member
Well car still isn't done. Lies after lies after lies.

I went to te body shop and installed some parts yesterday though. GT new energy suspension rear control arm bushings, granatelli double adj uppers, some stock v8 springs and a rear sway bar. Hopefully I will get it back in time to do the rest of the work I need to do before my first race this season.

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
Well car still isn't done. Lies after lies after lies.

I went to te body shop and installed some parts yesterday though. GT new energy suspension rear control arm bushings, granatelli double adj uppers, some stock v8 springs and a rear sway bar. Hopefully I will get it back in time to do the rest of the work I need to do before my first race this season.
Is it going to be ready for knotts?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2