• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My fox is dead :'(

Glad your okay. That is a lot of damage with structual post bend, etc. and realistically more damage than it looks even though a medium hit.

I can only imagine you wanted to flog the driver that ran the stop. I know I would have felt that way if my finished car was trashed by a moron.

The following are my thoughts, experience and 2 cents for whatever it's worth, to possibly help out a fellow fox member in what to look for after a collision to a perfect car.

In my experience it is rare that repairs are ever going to be completed satisfactory to your liking via your insurance company criteria (Comp shop) body shop repair experience.

You will most likely always find issues from a stuctural unibody repair no matter how slight or how good the shop is. However if it does turn out to be a (direct repair) specified Insurance comp shop repair, here are some thoughts.

I.M.H.O.
I would definately find another clean CA. shell and transfer all your super parts that are still salvage worthy over to it and save yourself the grief. period!

Yeah, a lot of work, and I'm sure others will have different opinions, But my experience dictates there is always something never right once repaired, and your gorgeous car will never be the same, leading to you possibly selling it off shortly after. Also, good luck with your insurance company experience. Your car will always have record of the damage once a claim is made. or even released to you from your insurance company as a (buy back) if you desire to take a smaller amount and buy the car back. (Only the the owner of the car has that option of purchasing the damaged car back from your Insurance company (not a friend) depending on your specific state laws). But if done so, the car will have a salvage title for life and will always reflect the accident when the vin comes up either for sale or any other time, as it will be public record once the insurance company pays out any dollar amount on it. Also something to consider, once the Insurance claim is made your vehicle it will always be worth less than half of actual value, no matter how much money is placed into the car. Unless you paid for (specified value) collector car insurance through a company like Hagerty or other collectable car insurance company out there. Then you could just take the money to build another car and let them keep it. Besides, to really repair your car back to pre accident condition with a QUALITY repair. The cost will always exceed what your profit driven Insurance company will pay out to get the correct repair done through their (Comp shop insurance company body shop that fixes the cars the dictated insurance way, to get their work, not the customers way). Even though you will most lkely still have issues somewhere, the cost balance will definately come out of your pocket on top of your deductible. Although a medium hit, your car is now marked vin wise.

My thought is with some labor and a clean California body (plenty to choose from) or complete car to restart from is where I would take it.

No crazy talk, just trying to help a fellow member with, 35 years of collision repair/insurance experience, building heavy hitters, rebuilds, totals and performing full professional rotisserie restorations.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, I hope it all goes well which ever you decide.

Blown347

Staff member
Thanks for all the advice. I'm fully prepared to just get a shell and start over. None of my engine or driveline are damaged, so I can swap it all over if need be. Car still runs and drives the way it is surprisingly.

I know it won't be worth what it was once its repaired, but this car is really sentimental to me. I have no intention f selling it so the value isn't really an issue to me. If it can be repaired I will do it. But if its not going to be feasible then it's time for a new project.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm fully prepared to just get a shell and start over. None of my engine or driveline are damaged, so I can swap it all over if need be. Car still runs and drives the way it is surprisingly.

I know it won't be worth what it was once its repaired, but this car is really sentimental to me. I have no intention f selling it so the value isn't really an issue to me. If it can be repaired I will do it. But if its not going to be feasible then it's time for a new project.
I understand. I did want to shed a little light though on how the insurance companies have pretty much taken over most body shops beginning in 1980 for direct repair procedures just to give them work and stay busy. I didn't know how many members have had to deal with insurance/ direct repair, (comp shop) bodyshop issues in the past. It isn't for the faint of heart or for anyone who really cares about their cars. Only to keep profits high for the Ins. co. and not anyone involved in caring much for the quality of the repair. Kind of like M.A.S.H. type temporary medical repairs with inferior body parts. I hope it works out for you and your super nice car. Good luck. I would just keep a close watch on the amount of hours (Most likely lack of) the insurance company writes on the estimate (if they don't total it) for the body shop you choose. Most likely it won't cover the correct labor cost for the tech to do a quality repair job on it, I'm sure they will be writing it for inferior Chinese/Korean parts when available that they will too force onto the tech and shop working on it. Just a thought.

Blown347

Staff member
I'm kind of nervous about that too. Like I said, I really want it fixed but I will freak out if Rey finish it and its not right, with panels misaligned and whatnot. I just have to play it by ear for the moment

I'm kind of nervous about that too. Like I said, I really want it fixed but I will freak out if Rey finish it and its not right, with panels misaligned and whatnot. I just have to play it by ear for the moment
One last thing...... Thats great, As long as you have already scoped out the body shop who will do the work and let the shop estimater/manager know your position on the quality repair you expect, as well as the tech who will eventually end up doing the work on it. They will then hit the insurance company up for the correct amount of supplement to repair correctly with no short cuts. It really is a crucial time for the owner to get involved before the additional supplement (if) is asked for by the shop because in most cases that will be the only and final one the car will recieve. And what ever is found underneath the skin of the 1/4, floor, possible door hinge piller roll or whatever else is found that isn't estimated accurately intially, the tech will eat the labor time and rush it so he or she will be able to flag it for the week to eat. Trust me, thats how it works in production shops. Worst case, if the shop is working off of the original short sheet insurance estimate, and insurance won't go the extra on the required supplement and decide to total it out and just give you a few bucks. You have the right to tell your insurance not to total it out but you will pay the difference to save your car. I can already tell by the photo, your left door jamb piller is slighty in and possibly back, It may be able to be straighted and saved without a used one cut from another car and welded in. The possibility of the door hinge post being slightly rolled back as well is possible as well as slight floor damage even though the rocker dose not appear bent. Looks like your rollbar helped a little.

The bottom line, even though the hit dosen't look bad to most, the car will need unibody (or frame labor rack time) however the estimate descibes it, to check for square and pull the door post before 1/4 is replaced even if slight and to make sure the car is still square. You definately do not want a slightly bent unibody going down the track with pretty paint on it. I didn't want to sound anal, just trying to help your car out before the process begins. As long as you stay adament on your reqests before and during repairs with the shop, tech and insurance company, you should be fine. If you don't stay active in the monitoring process sometimes repairs can get off track quickly and the car is deemed finished, correct or not, it is what it is with new panels and paint as they say, and ready to pick up. Timing is everything.

Always remember, You and your car are the customer and in full control of your investment. That is why you pay insurance premiums. Don't allow your insurance company to skate. My 2 cents... Good luck.

80 Cobra.....

Blown347

Staff member
Well after more headache then I care to discuss, I got the insurance company to quit trying to total my car and repair it. so there are some details to get worked out over the next few days but the work should start soon.

Right now its going to need: a new door and rear quarter panel (obviously)
New interior door panel
rack and pinion
P/S A-Arm
1 Rim
The front D/S fender is dented, but not crunched so that can be repaired.
same with the PS rear lower panel behind the tire, it got pushed in by the bush, but it can be straightened fairly easily.
New paint, I think the whole car may get repainted, but I will have to work it out, if not it will be damn close to the whole thing anyway.
There is some other minor work that will get done, but thats the just of it. They haven't taken apart the rear end to see if there is axle damage or something. (But, Engine and tranny are great! So thats good. Still fires right up and runs like a beast)

That so sux and glad to hear your ok:) FYI my Dark Horse was hit just as bad but on the passenger side it was in the body shop for months. So all hope isn't lost.

88lx elmo

CARNAGE 88 LX
NO!!!!!!!! ....hate to see stuff tike this happen just glad you are ok and hope the insurance people are not going to try and give to much crap....I am sure i will see you on the streets again soon.

Just look at the bright side the world did not end.... ;)

AT6svo

Damn. Its bad enough seeing a mustang in an accident, it really sucks when its a car that is in as good as condition as yours. I am really glad you were able to have your car repaired. Dealing with insurance companies is a huge PITA. My 84 SVO went through this same painful process when it was hit. They wanted to total it, etc etc. My 84 was a beater at that time and was not really worthy of a repair like yours. Crazy as it seems that accident was the best thing that could of happened for my 84 as it went from beater to show winner. I hope the body shop does the work up to your expectations.