• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My 88 GT Hatch Project

Blown347

Staff member
I had a shop put an astro performance a-5 gearset in mine and retained a factory overdrive ratio. Should've never sold it that trans was badass!

Blown347

Staff member
If you wanted one you can find them floating around for 12-1500 though. I sold mine for 1600 but it only had like 500 miles on it

lyonmt

2nd gear used to go out on my first fox all the time. It was a PITA, because it is linked to reverse. That poor car had a very hard life...

broncojunkie

This is a pretty cool project! I just reviewed the entire thread and I'm looking forward to seeing the continued progress!
Thanks, but if you're like me, you just like looking at the pictures, lol! :)

So after the new clutch cable kit, it still grinds going into 3rd, unless you're REAL easy on it...and there's no fun in that! Also, it started running pretty rough...still idled fine, but didn't want to take fuel. I did some tinkering with it (tps, egr, etc) with no luck. I decided to replace the fuel tank. I should have replaced it in the first place. I dropped the tank and pulled the new fuel pump out. The sock was gunked up something terrible. I cleaned everything up and put it back together with a new tank. Runs like a top again!

But back to the tranny problem, the scrape wasn't going away. I decided I'd see if I could find someone on Facebook who had one (or knew where I could find one). I could put a good used one in this car and rebuild the old one to put in my 82 some day. I got a couple replies and a guy down the road from me had one for sell. But, my cousin messaged me and said he had one lying around. I should have asked him to begin with! I picked it up along with some other parts. Should be able to get it in by this weekend.

20140714_182035.jpg

Last edited:

broncojunkie

looks good, you going to two-tone the rest?
Thanks. And yes, that's one of the reasons I went ahead and did some painting. I wanted to see what I thought of the two-tone. I did the silver (titanium) you see on the lower bumpers as well as the "bright blue regatta" on the top section of the bumper covers. It's kind of hard to see in the pic, but it's a lighter color than the rest of the car. The darker blue has more of a purple tint to it. I think I like the stock paint scheme.

broncojunkie

I put some fog lamps in today. Couldn't bring myself to pay so much for the factory ones, but I saw these at AutoZone and figured they would work. Turns out, they couldn't have fit better.

broncojunkie

Forgot to update this, but I put the other t5 in. Turns out, it has a couple minor issues, but much better than the other transmission. I got a book for rebuilding them. I go back out on the boat for 4 weeks starting tomorrow, so I'll study up some while I'm gone. When I get back, I'll try to rebuild the original tranny. Eventually, the other unit will probably get rebuilt for my '82.

broncojunkie

Funny, I think mine is regatta blue, but it is a lighter shade.

My car is painted corvette blue, or something like that. I did paint the top half of the bumpers and the underside of the hood regatta blue. Looks to be about the same color as yours.

lyonmt

I've thought about changing the color of mine. I prefer anthracite or a similiar dark metallic grey. I just dont want to deal with the expense and I like the idea that the inside and outside will match when I take the white seats out and replace them with grey (or grey and blue).

broncojunkie

Well, I've got one week left on the boat. I haven't done much collecting/ordering parts, other than a couple quarter windows (molding faded, but much better than mine) and new carpet, which should show up today some time. I'm going to try to focus on getting her ready for paint when I get home.

broncojunkie

Spoke a little too soon. Just found a good deal on an Explorer/GT40 intake (upper and lower) and GT40P heads. Will have to travel a couple hours to pick them up when I get off. I still plan on focusing on paint when I get home, so no motor upgrades any time soon. I'm not exactly sure what my performance plans will be, honestly. I know she'll get heads, intake, tb, fuel pump, regulator, 24lb injectors, and headers. Not sure yet about a cam and maf swap.

I would be happy with 300rwhp. Anyone care to weigh in on whether or not it's possible with the stock cam?

Blown347

Staff member
Spoke a little too soon. Just found a good deal on an Explorer/GT40 intake (upper and lower) and GT40P heads. Will have to travel a couple hours to pick them up when I get off. I still plan on focusing on paint when I get home, so no motor upgrades any time soon. I'm not exactly sure what my performance plans will be, honestly. I know she'll get heads, intake, tb, fuel pump, regulator, 24lb injectors, and headers. Not sure yet about a cam and maf swap.

I would be happy with 300rwhp. Anyone care to weigh in on whether or not it's possible with the stock cam?

Wheel horsepower that's a bit of a stretch. 300fwhp is possible with a stock cam but gt40ps won't cut it for that. Personally I wouldn't get too caught up in the numbers. If its fun and fast then a dyno is irrelevant.

My street car LX is pretty much what you're trying to build. Stock cam, 3bar GT40s, performer manifold, full exhaust, gears, etc etc. it's a blast on the street. Not the fastest thing in the world but it idles and drives like a dream, and has proven to be quite the little bracket car too.