• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My 88 GT Hatch Project

broncojunkie

I've never mounted tires by hand before. It really wasn't too bad. I think removing the old ones was the hardest part.

lyonmt

Looking good! You're a brave man mounting your tires that way. As far as the dismount, I just break the bead with a tool I have and then use bolt cutters and a box cutter. Fortunately, I only have to remove them, never mount them.

image_12595.jpg

broncojunkie

I may invest in a bead breaker. I took a screw- type jack and placed it under the hitch on my truck. Set the jack on the sidewall of the tire and started cranking. It worked fine, but I got tired of cranking!

Anyway, I now have 4 matching wheels on the 88 and I can put the 10-holes back on the 82, so I'll have matching rims on both. That was bugging me to death. Guess I'm a little ocd.

Last edited:

broncojunkie

Oh, and the tires were cheap on eBay. Not sure if they're any good, but they're Ohtsu (made by falken). I paid $280 shipped and mounted them myself. I figure I saved at least $150.

20140521_151732.jpg

Last edited:

broncojunkie

I piddled around on the car some today. I fixed the hatch so it will close and latch properly. It was out of alignment and needed a new striker. I also had one of those headlight restore kits lying around, so I cleaned up the headlight assemblies. They really need replaced, which I will do fairly soon, but I just about have the car ready for state inspection. If I can get everything ready and get to the dmv Saturday morning, I can drive it some this weekend. I need to get it on the road before I go back out on the river Tuesday. It would be a long 28 days, if I don't!

broncojunkie

Replaced the wiper motor and wiper blades, getting ready to get her on the road. Even added to my insurance policy today so I can go to the DMV in the morning, since I didn't get a chance yesterday. Then, I came to the realization that tomorrow is a holiday and the DMV is closed. Looks like I'll have to wait 4 weeks to drive it.

I've also been trying to chase down a short somewhere that's draining the battery. I've been leaving it unhooked till I can find it, but I'm pretty stumped right now. I thought I had it licked for a minute. I didn't realize that the vanity lights were staying on. But today, I unhooked them and I've still got almost 13v draw with everything shut off. I pulled every fuse and nothing changed. I had a similar problem on my 92 F150...twice. The first time, I eventually realized the voltage regulator in the alternator was drawing a current, even with the key out of the ignition. I ended up replacing the alternator and everything worked. No such luck on this mustang. Later, I had another battery drain issue on the truck. It turned out to be the power mirror switch. I guess I'll just have to poke around and see what I can find.

broncojunkie

Took it down my road today, anyway. Ran great, but I took it pretty easy. Might need a new master cylinder. Brakes were a little stiff and I could hear the master cyl working.

TomA

Wheels look good, btw, you did not need to cut a hole to install the fuel pump, and the small shoe for the brakes goes tward the front, just some info there, good luck with the project....

broncojunkie

Wheels look good, btw, you did not need to cut a hole to install the fuel pump, and the small shoe for the brakes goes tward the front, just some info there, good luck with the project....
I wasn't really sure about the brakes, but I put them on just the way the old ones came off. But seems to me like the other side was opposite, once I got over there, so I guess I need to change them. Thanks for the info.

As for the fuel pump, here's the reason why I cut it instead of dropping the tank. I live on a steep hill. It wasn't running when I got it, so I had it hauled to my house. The only level spot I have to work on them is at the top of my driveway, which is situated in a way that there's no possibility of getting it up there unless I drive it up. Kind of hard to do when the car doesn't run. I couldn't jack the car up to drop the tank where she was sitting, nor would I want to work under it with it not being stable. I also like the idea of the fuel pump being so easily accessible, for the next time I need to swap the pump. I haven't had much luck with aftermarket pumps.

broncojunkie

Well, finally got home and rested up a little. Today, I fixed the brake shoes I had on backwards (thanks TomA) and started working on the master cylinder replacement. The bottom brake line connection had a rounded-off nut and I can't get it off. I'm going to pick up a small pipe wrench and see if I can break it loose. If so, I think I can cut it off, re-flare it, and add a new nut. If not, I guess I'll have to replace the line.

Anyway, I also put the new head unit in. The only speakers in the car are the small dash speakers, so I'll need to buy a couple decent sets. May go ahead and throw a 4- channel amp in, since most of the interior is already stripped. I picked up or had delivered almost all of the interior plastic I need for the rear, along with a nice (but not matching) back seat. I started putting that in too, until I realized the previous owner cut the center bracket between the two split rear seat backs. I just ordered one off eBay.

Going to try to finish the master cylinder tomorrow. May go ahead and balance the tires, since I'll have to take them off for bleeding brakes.

broncojunkie

Finished master cylinder up last night and also dropped the tank for replacement of the fuel level sending unit. Finished up and got the tank back in this morning. I spent the afternoon getting the battery moved back up front where it's supposed to be. The battery cable was routed through the interior, which wouldn't allow me to install a back seat (which I picked up used the other day. ) I got the battery hooked up in the engine bay with new cables. Installed the interior plastic quarter panels I ordered online, along with the back seat I picked up from a fellow mustang guy here in town.

I'm posting pics in the next post, since it won't let me paste the links properly with my phone.

Last edited:

broncojunkie

As you can see in the pic, I've got the battery unhooked. That's because I still can't track down a battery drain issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

broncojunkie

The other day, I replaced the beat up hood with a nice used one. I painted the underside and cleaned up the latch mechanism.
20140706_164425.jpg

20140706_164258.jpg

It was hard to get a good pic of the underside in the bright sunlight, but I painted it "Bright Regatta Blue Metallic", which was the original color. This is what she will be painted eventually.

broncojunkie

The last few evenings, I've been trying my best to get the bumper covers straightened out. Multiple coats of spot putty, adhesion promoter, primer, plastic paint, and a ton of sanding. It definitely looks a lot better, but not done yet. To be honest, I don't think it will hold up. The plastic bumper covers will eventually need replaced, I think, but I was hoping to save some $ for other needed repairs...such as the clutch cable.
20140709_181843.jpg

And I had some help...
20140709_181756.jpg

I attempted to adjust the clutch cable the other day, but it was kinda rigged to begin with. I ended up stripping the factory plastic quadrant. So I ordered a BBK adjustable cable with aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster. The UPS truck showed up with it this afternoon while I was sanding my knuckles off.
20140709_165754.jpg

I'm going to try and get this thing installed tomorrow.

broncojunkie

Got the clutch cable kit in today. Wasn't too terrible. Still priming, filling, and sanding on bumpers. Going to try my best to have them painted by this time tomorrow evening. If so, I plan on installing the new headlights. The tail lights aren't too bad (I've seen better, but I can live with it for now.) I'll try and get those back in, as well.

My goal is to get the bumpers finished so I can get the lights in. Get the lights in so I can drive down the road to my buddy's glass shop and get my new windshield installed. Get the windshield installed so I can get an inspection sticker. Hopefully, try out the new clutch cable to see if it fixed my 2nd-3rd gear scrape. This process is pretty complicated. Seems like everything that needs done depends on something else getting completed. I also have to keep reminding myself that this isn't supposed to be a show car, but every time I put a brand new part on, it makes something else look like crap!

Blown347

Staff member
It's grinding 2-3 shift? Hopefully it's just the cable. T-5s are notorious for blowing out 3rd gear. Ask my how I know lol

broncojunkie

It's grinding 2-3 shift? Hopefully it's just the cable. T-5s are notorious for blowing out 3rd gear. Ask my how I know lol

Yep. And I figure that's what it is, but I figure I'd try adjusting the cable first, just in case.No way of adjusting the old cable that was in this car.

Did you end up having yours rebuilt? Replaced? I've been keeping my eye open for a good used T-5. I'm going to need one, regardless, because I have an '82 GT I plan on putting it in. I figure I could find a good used one for my '88 and then get this one rebuilt. Just curious to find out what the cost is for a good rebuild and if its possible to have the factory one beefed up.