• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1993 lx coupe aka stang44

87_notchfox

just another notch among the rest lol...
i have the 89 gt ecu which is a reman one so the only number is just the one that gets imprinted on the connection port. but finding a mid 92-93 harnesses is hard to find...

87_notchfox

a few pics of the engine and trans...not sure wat to do to the engine before i put it in and the trans asides from cleaning and paint...
DSC03103.jpg
DSC03094.jpg
DSC03093.jpg
DSC03097.jpg
DSC03102.jpg

Blown347

Staff member
I would say freshen it all up since its out of the car. This is the perfect opportunity to give it all new gaskets, even rings and bearings if it needs them (you said it was rebuilt so thats up to you)

But yea i would definitely get a whole gasket set and just do all of them, head gaskets included. it may save you some serious time and effort later on.

don't know if you want more power out of it but if so i'd do the trick flow track heat top end kit. heads cam and intake will bring it to about 350 crank hp. :D

87_notchfox

i hope it was rebuilt i hope...if not i will freshen it up...minimal gaskets and bearings...but i would like to stroke it out if possible if i can find a good shop to do the block work i can assemble the rest because i well my wife wants a bit more power which will be coming from a procharger v-1 s trim

Blown347

Staff member
a bit more? haha thats insane. a supercharged stroker is a 10 second car (trust me, i know, lol)
i mean just the top end set up naturally aspirated makes more power then an sn-95 cobra or a new edge mach 1. and if you're going to stroke it and strap a blower to it you have to girdle the block, spend more money on forged internals, a way bigger fuel system, and replace the whole top end setup anyway. (the e-7 heads will just crack)

Blown347

Staff member
and if its her only vehicle, know this: mine gets 9 miles to the gallon. and thats only running 9 lbs of boost. so to be daily driven its doable but extremely unreliable and impractical.

I used to drive mine everyday, but then i realized that when you build something like that, things break. just the nature of the beast. daily driving it will only make that more frequent. the first year and a half i had mine it was probably down more then it was running. now that its just a toy i never have problems with it.

Blown347

Staff member
Even if you want to stroke it, you can build a 347 with a trickflow top end and make over 400 at the wheels.

all of these things will break the stock transmission, it may hold for a while but it will eventually take a dump. so you need to look into a stronger trans, a t-56, tko-600, or an astro-performance A-5 would all be good stick shift options.

87_notchfox

yeah a bit more lol...my friends 95 cobra makes like 420 to the wheels with about 9-10 psi...but hes running a 331 stroker with ported cobra inatke i think edelbrock heads and well it was all smog legal...hes going to sell me most of his set up as he swaps over to a turbo...but yeah i thought of maybe gt-40 heads and intake but just have to find the ones with the egr hooks ups...or if i can afford it the new AFR 195 heads...since i think it will be cheaper then doing a SN-95 engine swap to it...

Blown347

Staff member
The 185s would work fine an a little easier on the wallet. The afrs come with holes drilled for the emissions stuff too

87_notchfox

yeah T-5 are notorious for weak 1-2 gears and well they dont hold much power or torque...but its going to be for the wife so she wont really drag it unless i show her how to drive it and she gets enough confidence to handle it like that...but i am not sure if it will be her daily since she might drive our expedition around with the kids...but yeah i thought of the TKO for it because i want a T-56 for my car...but yeah i thought about the hole gas mileage and durability of building something like that...but i thought of maybe a 331 and a girlddle....

87_notchfox

yeah i saw the article on the smog legal 347e stroker they used the 195 renegade heads that were smog legal...most of the are but i will see how deep my pockets will be when it comes to those things

Blown347

Staff member
yeah T-5 are notorious for weak 1-2 gears and well they dont hold much power or torque...but its going to be for the wife so she wont really drag it unless i show her how to drive it and she gets enough confidence to handle it like that...but i am not sure if it will be her daily since she might drive our expedition around with the kids...but yeah i thought of the TKO for it because i want a T-56 for my car...but yeah i thought about the hole gas mileage and durability of building something like that...but i thought of maybe a 331 and a girlddle....

I have the astro performance A-5 in mine, and its awesome! the tko's are good too but they wine quite a bit. My T-5 held for a while behind my beast, with heavy track time. so if anything you can leave the T-5 in it for a while and just wait until it breaks. From my experience it's 3rd gear that goes first in the t-5. mine did, but the rest of the gears were intact and untouched with about 600lbft running through it. so just for street use and no launching, it will probably hold for a while.

87_notchfox

ohhh good info to know...but yeah i thought of leaving it in until it goes to pieces...but i guess when the time come to drop it in we will decide...plus the power adder i wont get it until like may when my friend comes back from over seas...

I have a TKO 500 in my stang with no wine. It takes more power to run a TKO but well worth it. But 600tq to a t-5 is like Magic Johnson you may not die today but someday:)

Blown347

Staff member
I have a TKO 500 in my stang with no wine. It takes more power to run a TKO but well worth it. But 600tq to a t-5 is like Magic Johnson you may not die today but someday:)
yea i knew it was on borrowed time just budget dictates ya know? I was suprised at how long it lasted. and when it broke how good of shape most of it was still in.

Yeah I prefer my trans to blow from over torque compared to speed shifting. Luckily it's worked out for me so far I ran a world class for over 8yrs with close to 400lbs to it ended up replacing it with a TKO 500. There is no comparison it feels so much tighter you don't realize until you swap.

87_notchfox

nice...i dont think will make over 500 lbs on a regular 5.0 block with out possibly splitting it...so maybe the TKO 500 will work good

Just remember when you get the TKO with 26 spline input you'll have to get a new clutch too. Also get the Maximum Motorsports clutch cable it's the best I've seen so far.