• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1988 Steering Column

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Pull on the shaft it will move in or out to any length you need. If it doesn't then remove the column and spray some WD-40 down around the bearing at the end of the column.

FatblockFord

The situation I have is I bought an 88 that has a Grant wheel an 90-93 column shroud (sort of hanging in place), which leaves a big gap between the shroud and wheel. So I bought the 88 non tilt shroud, but when lining it up to the ignition switch and turn signal it will not clear the dash. It’s like the column is inset to far.

FatblockFord

Ok. Thanks for the help. I need to get under the dash and see if there is an obvious reason why things aren’t lining up.
These are both non tilt steering wheels and I have an idea this could be the problem.View attachment 2965
View attachment 2967
OK, I’ll take a look at the knee bolster as well.
The gauge cover has a rectangular cutout just above the column shroud. Like maybe it was a column shift automatic originally??? Makes me feel like the column has been swapped and I’ve got a bunch of mismatched parts.
Thanks for the help!

FatblockFord

I will get some. I actually pulled it apart last night to try and determine what I am working with.
I think I have a 90-93 column, knee bolster, column shroud and gauge cluster shroud.

FatblockFord

I saved the pics as small so hopefully you can see them clear enough. It looks like they installed a 90-93 column, instrument cluster, cluster shroud, knee bolster and column shroud. That all actually works together ok. A little repair and paint and I think it will look good. However, how do you fill the void from the big square backed factory wheel when running a Grant, or other aftermarket wheel?

Attachments

• E20EBB0C-723E-47B8-BB69-53B20A600BE2.jpeg
    E20EBB0C-723E-47B8-BB69-53B20A600BE2.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 3ADD6C7B-4CAB-45B5-8000-F196B3EE800F.jpeg
    3ADD6C7B-4CAB-45B5-8000-F196B3EE800F.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 5
  • B99F7CE4-8B93-420A-B3E4-7E8588A9DE6B.jpeg
    B99F7CE4-8B93-420A-B3E4-7E8588A9DE6B.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 6

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
I'm thinking the only solution to fill that gap is the trim ring for a tilt steering wheel. I went out and measured mine to see if any of thes measurement would work for you.

Depth 2 inches.jpg Small and Large.jpg

FatblockFord

I'm thinking the only solution to fill that gap is the trim ring for a tilt steering wheel. I went out and measured mine to see if any of thes measurement would work for you.

View attachment 2977 View attachment 2978
That is awesome. Thank you for the help. I’ll check the measurements on my setup and see. That could be an easy solution as I was thinking about how to make a piece to fill that gap.
Thanks again.