• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1979 Pace Car build

broncojunkie

I managed to hook up the reverse lights. And do some more tuning on the carb. For the most part, it's running pretty well but there was a rough spot when barely into the throttle. There is a transition fuel feed between the idle and primary circuits. That's where my problem was. I increased the idle feed restrictors 3 sizes and that cleared it up 90%. I can live with it for now. I'll go ahead and order another size or two bigger and install them the next time I have it apart.

While I was in there, I rejetted again... primary and secondaries. I'll really need to get in it to see how it does, but I don't have a good "test hit" area near me lol!

One thing is painfully obvious. I need more gear! I'm working on the new 31 spline 8.8 now. I believe I have it set up like I want it. Just need to find time to do the final assembly.

Last edited:

broncojunkie

I had a chance to make it to the local cruise spot the last two Saturdays. Last Saturday, my buddy showed up with my old 88gt (yes, I got rid of the blue 88gt.) It was nice seeing them side by side in the sunlight! They even got to play a little on the way home!

Screenshot_20200728-014338_Gallery.jpg

broncojunkie

Did the final setup and assembly of the 8.8 today. I also started working on cleaning up the housing. That will probably take me a day or two. Lots of wire-wheeling, rust converter, then paint. I took a minute to weld a few spots on the axle tubes, just for good measure.

broncojunkie

I managed to get the entire rear end housing cleaned up, coated in rust converter, painted, and installed new wheel cylinders and upper control arm bushings (the bushings that go in the housing itself). I also got the rear end dropped out of the pace car...at least, everything but the parking brake cables. Tomorrow, I'll start pulling the drum brakes apart and see if I can't get the new rear end installed and ready for cruise-in this Saturday.

broncojunkie

Got the rear end installed today. Everything buttoned up, except for topping off with fluid. Rtv should be set up tomorrow and I can fill it.

I went ahead and tore down the old 8.8. Nothing wrong with it. I'm just going from a 3.27 to a 4.10 gear. I bet it doesn't have 200 miles on it. Seals, bearings, e.t.c still like new.

broncojunkie

I got everything installed, but with a few hiccups. I was only able to go for a short test drive, but it already feels much better. It'll be 4 weeks before I can drive it again, since I'm headed back to work this morning.

Next on the list is to lower it a little, install subframe connectors, and see if I can get it aligned.

broncojunkie

I haven't updated this in a while, but I have done a few things to the car. I went to a dual plane intake (performer rpm air gap) and a 750 carb. I just got everything back together today, so I'm still tuning on it. I also welded in full-length subframe connectors, installed the afr gauge (permanent install this time), and replaced the carpet.
Screenshot_20210426-234444_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

broncojunkie

I've been busy working on the cobra and didn't get a chance to tune the new carb, so I slapped the old 650 Brawler back on to get the car back and forth to a couple cruise-ins.

Here she is last weekend, along side my old 88gt and my brother-in-law's wrx. We're going again tonight.

Screenshot_20210626-215858_Signal.jpg

broncojunkie

The fruits of labor...
Congrats getting it done.

You're older than I assumed
Lolz
I'm always younger at heart (That is, I act like a kid lol)!

I'm the guy in the pic that you can't see very well. The guy with his hand on his hip is my buddy (I gave him the blue car). He's a few yrs old than me. The other grey headed fella is my brother-in-law. He drives the WRX. I'm 47 yrs old...the other two have me by a few yrs. You can also barely make out my wife in the pic, standing behind the subaru. We need to start a "what do you look like" thread!

I still didn't get to dial in the pace car and take her to the track. I may still try to make that happen when I get back in town in August. I spent a lot of time tending to my parents (dad has been in and out of the hospital with brain tumor and other problems. They live a few hrs away, so it's hard to find time when I'm in town). I also spent some time getting the 79 cobra engine bay painted, windshield installed, and working on a couple friends' cars. I did manage to buy a new truck. I traded the '17 tacoma for a '21 Tundra. It has a better towing capacity, so I don't have to worry about pulling the car up these WV hills. The tacoma struggled a little with the bigger hills. The pace car just needed a little tuning to be ready, or so I thought. I will need to replace the steering shaft. The Flaming River shaft only has a couple hundred miles on it, but it has developed excessive play in both u-joints.