• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1979 Pace Car build

broncojunkie

Well-Known Member
I managed to hook up the reverse lights. And do some more tuning on the carb. For the most part, it's running pretty well but there was a rough spot when barely into the throttle. There is a transition fuel feed between the idle and primary circuits. That's where my problem was. I increased the idle feed restrictors 3 sizes and that cleared it up 90%. I can live with it for now. I'll go ahead and order another size or two bigger and install them the next time I have it apart.

While I was in there, I rejetted again... primary and secondaries. I'll really need to get in it to see how it does, but I don't have a good "test hit" area near me lol!

One thing is painfully obvious. I need more gear! I'm working on the new 31 spline 8.8 now. I believe I have it set up like I want it. Just need to find time to do the final assembly.
 
Last edited:

broncojunkie

Well-Known Member
I had a chance to make it to the local cruise spot the last two Saturdays. Last Saturday, my buddy showed up with my old 88gt (yes, I got rid of the blue 88gt.) It was nice seeing them side by side in the sunlight! They even got to play a little on the way home!

Screenshot_20200728-014338_Gallery.jpg
 

broncojunkie

Well-Known Member
Did the final setup and assembly of the 8.8 today. I also started working on cleaning up the housing. That will probably take me a day or two. Lots of wire-wheeling, rust converter, then paint. I took a minute to weld a few spots on the axle tubes, just for good measure.
 

broncojunkie

Well-Known Member
I managed to get the entire rear end housing cleaned up, coated in rust converter, painted, and installed new wheel cylinders and upper control arm bushings (the bushings that go in the housing itself). I also got the rear end dropped out of the pace car...at least, everything but the parking brake cables. Tomorrow, I'll start pulling the drum brakes apart and see if I can't get the new rear end installed and ready for cruise-in this Saturday.
 

broncojunkie

Well-Known Member
Got the rear end installed today. Everything buttoned up, except for topping off with fluid. Rtv should be set up tomorrow and I can fill it.

I went ahead and tore down the old 8.8. Nothing wrong with it. I'm just going from a 3.27 to a 4.10 gear. I bet it doesn't have 200 miles on it. Seals, bearings, e.t.c still like new.
 

broncojunkie

Well-Known Member
I got everything installed, but with a few hiccups. I was only able to go for a short test drive, but it already feels much better. It'll be 4 weeks before I can drive it again, since I'm headed back to work this morning.

Next on the list is to lower it a little, install subframe connectors, and see if I can get it aligned.
 
Top