• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My 88 GT Hatch Project

broncojunkie

Awesome and congratulations!

IG: leesweitzerracing
FB: familyaffairmustangs

Thanks! Now that we're all settled in (despite my terrible work schedule here lately), I've had a little time to work on the 82gt. I've decided to put this one on hold for a while. It's just too hard to have 2 non-running cars in the garage at the same time, so I'm going to concentrate on the 82 until I get it up and running. Then, I can come back to this one. So stay tuned to my other build thread, if you like!

Oh, and Blown347...
I forgot to mention I've watched some of the videos you posted from the track a while back. That car is a beast!

broncojunkie

Didn't take any pics, but since I've been driving this car around some during the nice weather, I decided to finally replace the old, worn-out t5. It ended up being a bigger job than expected. I cleaned up and painted the new(er) t5, along with an extra bellhousing I had lying around. If you happened to see my other thread about using a t5 from a later model v6 mustang, you already know how it worked out. I used the newer tranny with electronic speedo. Swapped out the tailshaft housing for the older t5, which was set up for mechanical speedo gear. After some issues drilling a small hole in the mainshaft to accept the speedo drive gear retaining clip, it went right together with no issues. I also swapped over a new (used) input shaft and a new steel input shaft retainer, to match the fox-length bellhousing. While it was apart (and due to some issues I ran into) I ended up replacing the clutch (Zoom), flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch fork, crossmember bushings, and transmission mount.

Everything is back together and shifting great. No more grinding, popping out of 2nd gear, vibration is gone. I had been fighting a vibration in the driveshaft and I believe the culprit was a worn out crossmember bushing.

If I think about it, I'll try and take some pics of old blue out and about. It feels good to finally get some time behind the wheel.

broncojunkie

20160807_015719.jpg

Well, I pulled the car in the garage a few weeks ago to fix a vacuum leak and this ended up happening. One thing led to another so I decided to pull the motor. The plan is to repair the shock tower rust on the passenger side and clean and paint the engine bay to get it looking as good as the rest of the car.

While the motor is out, she'll get freshened up as well. I've got everything to do the maf swap, except for the maf itself. Harness, cold air intake, ecm, etc are all sitting around collecting dust. I also had a few other items I planned on using. Gt40p heads, Explorer intake, b303 cam... So it should run a little better when I'm done.

While I'd love to go all-out with aluminum heads, custom cam, bigger injectors...this car will continue being more of a cruiser. The pace car and 82gt are getting most of the good stuff.

Last edited:

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Believe me I know that feeling of just going to fix one thing or another and the next thing you know you've got more things to do that you ever thought of.

broncojunkie

Haven't done too much to the car, really. A little rust repair in the engine bay and dismantling of the motor. I got the heads off last night. Cylinders and pistons both look great, so the plan is to replace the timing set when I do the cam. Throw some gt40p heads on it, explorer intake, clean up the block, replace the oil pump for good measure. I may also put a new water pump on it.

The other day, I addressed a few issues I was having with the transmission/clutch. For one, the new throwout bearing I used was noisy, so I replaced it with another new one I had lying around. After the new clutch install a few months ago, there was way too much slack in the clutch cable. I shimmed up the pivot ball stud with 3 washers and it looks like that did the trick. Should have plenty of room for adjustment now. Another issue I was having was with the transmission. Although it feels great and is quiet, it was very hard to get into 1st and 2nd gear. Basically, the shifter acted like it didn't want to go all the way over toward the left. I was hoping it wasn't an issue within the shift fork linkage and I lucked out. For whatever reason, the detent plate needed a little work. I just had to grind about 1/8" off one edge of the plate on one side. I put the shifter back on and tried it out. Works great, now.

I'll be heading back out on the river in a couple days, so I plan on finishing up here in a couple months....just in time to put it back up for the winter lol. While I really didn't get to enjoy it much this year, things are looking up for next Spring. If I'm lucky, I'll have this 88 all wrapped up and ready to go AND the pace car, as well. It sure would be nice to be able to attend some cruise-ins with the wife, each having a nice fox body to drive.

broncojunkie

Things have gone slow lately. I'm at the end of my 28 days off, and I go back tomorrow. Money has been a little tight with the wife in school, I had to spend 8 days down in Louisiana for some training for work, I was down with some serious back pain that involved a trip to the er, and I was doing some repairs on a 98gt I picked up. But I did finally finish welding on the strut towers. They were a little worse than I thought. I'm not much of a welder/fabricator, so I've basically just been taking my time and teaching myself as I go. With everything ready to go, my plan is to try and find a few good days of weather toward the end of November to do some sanding/priming on the engine bay. This winter, while stuck inside, I'll get the motor put back together. That way, by next Spring, I can paint it and put the motor and transmission back in. But the rust repair was my biggest hurdle, and I think it will go a little quicker now that it's done.

broncojunkie

Finally got some paint on the engine bay.
20170117_1338251.jpg

20170121_1258561.jpg

Also started freshening up the motor. It was a good running, healthy motor to begin with, but I went ahead and replaced pretty much everything except the rotating assembly. New timing set, oil pump and pick-up, freeze plugs, harmonic balancer, gaskets, and some other odds and ends.

20170125_2323541.jpg

20170126_2038431.jpg

I'm still weighing my options on heads. I dropped one set off at the machine shop, have another set of gt40p's, but really want some nice aluminum heads. I already need to buy a set of good heads for the pace car, so I don't want to spend the extra cash on two sets. But we'll see what happens. I'd like to get the motor finished up in the next few days.

broncojunkie

Got a few more parts put on tonight.
20170128_0058411.jpg

I also made up my mind on some heads. I dropped off an old set of heads at the machine shop the other day. Found out yesterday that they need all new valve guides and valve angle job. Total cost of around $600. The way I see it, for a couple hundred more, I can find a decent set of used aluminum heads or maybe some new Pro Comp (or similar). So I was planning on dumping the old iron heads in favor of some cheaper aluminums. But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to use the old iron heads. They were given to me by my cousin, who used them on one of his old pace cars. I can remember riding in that car and it was a blast. They've had some port work done...closed-chamber heads from (iirc) a 68 Mustang. So I'm going to stick with them. At some point down the road, they may end up on my old 70 model coupe. But for old time sake, it will be nice to hear these babies come back to life!

broncojunkie

Built some cribbing stands to get the rear up off the floor so everything will clear once I drop the motor and tranny in together...also, so that it will be easier to get to the driveshaft bolts. I was planning to build a couple more for the front wheels, but for now, I think this will work fine for putting the motor back in. I should be able to set everything in place and hook up the driveshaft the way it sits. Then, I can jack up the front so I can get to the motor mounts and install the headers.
20170201_182928.jpg

Today, I picked up the heads. I still need to pick up a couple head alignment dowels, which I seem to have lost somewhere along the way. No one near me stocks them, so I had to order them.
20170202_172947.jpg

20170202_173000.jpg

20170202_173020.jpg

broncojunkie

Dropped the motor back in tonight. I decided to take the t5 off and put the motor in with the rear end up and the front tires on the ground. I had it bolted in by myself in about 10 minutes. My brother-in-law (who I bought the car from) came over and we put the tranny back in. It was really easy, with all the room to work underneath. We had it in in about 20 minutes.
20170204_1338321.jpg

I'm dropping the intake off at my cousin's tomorrow so he can take it to work and clean it up in the blast cabinet. I'm going to try to get the alternator and power steering pump back on, as well as install the driveshaft. I removed the H-pipe, but I think I'm going to plan on replacing the entire system. I have some nice BBK headers to put on it, but everything from there back is just in bad shape. I'm tired of chasing exhaust leaks constantly, so I'm going to bite the bullet and replace everything.

broncojunkie

Forgot to mention a couple things:
First, me and the wife sanded down and prepped the stock valve covers tonight (for a second time lol...don't ask!). Should be able to get a coat of paint on them tomorrow.
Second, I finally convinced the wife to join up here on the forum! Say hi to Octaviah73! She has put in a ton of work on this car, as well!

20170205_0121491.jpg

broncojunkie

Got quite a bit done to the car today. Clutch cable and speedo cable buttoned up, driveshaft installed, brakes bled (now has working brakes again!), headers on, starter hooked up, and car is back on the ground! I doubt I will be able to get much further on it, since I go back out on the river in a couple days. I can't get the intake on until it's all cleaned up. I'll have to order a few parts too, I'm sure.
20170205_234622.jpg

20170205_234631.jpg

20170206_005933.jpg

broncojunkie

Back to work for 28 days. I've got about 3 weeks left. Although I'd rather be working on the car, I'm using my spare time to get some parts lined up. I was looking at my fiberglass 3" cowl hood and I'm just not happy with it. I can tell it's going to need more work than I thought and I just don't care for how flimsy they are. So I ordered a 2" cowl steel hood, which should be here in a couple weeks. I've also decided to upgrade the injectors. I'm currently looking for a good deal on a used set of 24 or 30lb and then a matching maf.

mustanggarage

looking really good. that car is looking awesome. I am glad to hear how much your wife is helping out too. My wife really does not like coming out to the garage so I end up doing most of the work either by myself or if I can get my daughters boyfriend to come over and help. My Dad moved into the nursing home last year so he really is not able to help me much anymore. I am going to be doing some more work on my fox this summer. I have lately been working on other things. my 90 jeep and my Dads 94 convertible mustang I bought from him when he went to the nursing home, so I have not been doing anything to the fox. Looking at the progress you have made makes me want to jump in and start tearing stuff apart again lol.
on another note, what the heck were those factory guys thinking. these fenderwells on these foxes look like someone shot them with a double OO shot gun. so many holes in them. I considered getting some of those smooth fenderwell liners when I did my engine build. I ended up not doing it but still looking at your engine bay when you painted it reminded me of that. I am sure there is a really good reason for it, but I certainly think it is aggravating.

broncojunkie

Sorry to hear about your dad. My wife's mother had to be put in a nursing home as well. Physically, she's pretty healthy but althzheimers was really taking its toll. My dad is still around, but has been disabled for years and isn't able to do anything. He was never really into hanging out with his kids anyway, so that was nothing new. I pretty much taught myself everything I know about cars....and carpentry, and plumbing, and electrical, etc. Dad was more of a salesman.

I've been working on our sn95 car, as well. That did set me back a while, but that car has really grown on me. The wife drives it quite a bit. I'm looking forward to seeing her drive the 88gt though. It should be a fun little ride!

mustanggarage

thanks. actually moving to the nursing home has been great for my Dad. he is doing much better. he enjoys having people to talk to etc. overall he is much happier there. He does not come over to the shop any more. since he doesn't drive now, but I bring him over once in awhile. He will definitely want to be involved with the supercharger install however. what sn 95 car do you have. I actually bought both my Dads 94's one was a convertible gt with an auto. It is the one I have been working on. it is looking really good now. the other is a teal coupe with a 5 speed. Dad hit a deer with it not long before I bought it so it is a mess right now I need to get to work on it one of these days

broncojunkie

I picked up a 98gt. It's really my first experience with a mod motor. So far, it's been interesting. I like the motor, but would like to do a pi swap with aftermarket cams for some more power. I'm resisting that urge, though. It's supposed to be a daily. I may still do a gear swap one day.

I'd post a pic but I have to do this stuff from my phone, since I'm currently on the boat. Recent photobucket updates seem to have rendered it basically useless.