• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

89 mustang won't run help plz

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Sounds like you've found your problem.

When you get ready to put things back together here are the Torque Specs.

Head Bolt Tightening Sequence.JPG Torque Spec 1.jpg Torque Spec 2 .JPG

John2002

Not what you wanna do when you were told a machine shop did it!!! I guess we all have those "I took it in" stories and this began to happen. My last one was the oil pan gasket and the motor mounts....first day back I had a 5-6 inch long oil stain under the car on the driver side under the lower control arm ...I brought it back and they said oil went everywhere when they dropped the pan, it should stop dripping in a few day...well it wasn't the dripping oil from removing the pan it was the oil level senior they broke...Not going back there anymore...Can't trust any place these days....

Good luck with your reassembly...and radiator flush and your oil drain and refill........Go thru the list of what the shop also was supposed to have done before you get it running....

89lx5.0

Oh yea also I've heard its a good idea to use a thin layer of rtv rite around the water ports on the intake gaskets. Is this a good idea or just leave it be?

Blown347

Staff member
Oh yea also I've heard its a good idea to use a thin layer of rtv rite around the water ports on the intake gaskets. Is this a good idea or just leave it be?
Yes I always add rtv to the water ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blown347

Staff member
One other life saver, get you some Indian head head gasket sealant. Don't use it on the head gaskets, but brush it onto the intake side of the head and stick your intake gaskets on and let it dry. Holds the intake gaskets in place so that you don't accidentally push one down when you install the lower manifold

89lx5.0

Yea good idea. I also had a idea of taking old intake bolts and cutting the heads of to slide the intake in the studs

Blown347

Staff member
Yea good idea. I also had a idea of taking old intake bolts and cutting the heads of to slide the intake in the studs
Oh I forgot about that. I have some threaded Rod that I use, just put two of them in. Wooden dowel rod works good too

89lx5.0

Do I have to buy gt40 lower intake gaskets or just 5.0 gaskets? Also the hooks on the intake gasket that hook to the head gasket do they sometimes need to be trimmed to fit? Cause the unused regular 5.0 intake gaskets don't hook they are too wide

Blown347

Staff member
Do I have to buy gt40 lower intake gaskets or just 5.0 gaskets? Also the hooks on the intake gasket that hook to the head gasket do they sometimes need to be trimmed to fit? Cause the unused regular 5.0 intake gaskets don't hook they are too wide
Stock gaskets are fine. Yes sometimes the hooks need to be cut off. They only ever really fit oem head gaskets. That's what the Indian head glue stuff is for.

89lx5.0

Ok cool. I had a new set of stock 5.0 gaskets and I test fitted them and the hooks would need to be trimmed back half inch. Is there a difference in ho and gt40 intake gaskets?

Blown347

Staff member
Ok cool. I had a new set of stock 5.0 gaskets and I test fitted them and the hooks would need to be trimmed back half inch. Is there a difference in ho and gt40 intake gaskets?
Only the upper to lower intake gasket is different for a gt40 intake. The cylinder head side is the same