• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My 88 GT Hatch Project

mustanggarage

well, any progress lately? I did some racing with my 89 and burnt the clutches out of first gear already. so I am going to have to look into a mega monster AOD from monster transmissions. I thought about making it a manual, but I decided to keep it auto so my daughter can drive it occasionally. anyway hope you are having some better luck with your build

broncojunkie

I've been busy with work. Haven't done much, but I did nix the 5 lug swap. To use my wheels I would have had to swap more than just rotors. So I just ordered a set of draglite knock-offs (Vision brand) and cooper cobras. I left the 3.73 rear but put the 4 lug axles back in.

I picked up a 79 cobra and plan on giving it some attention soon. We're fostering a boxer through a local rescue and he bit me last night. So my right hand is currently out of service.

I'll be posting some more here soon. I started work on a 351c motor for my 86 coupe. Going to be another fun project. Of course, everything's on hold for a while with the injury lol

broncojunkie

I got the tires on and rear is working fine. I was able to drive it a few times and it feels great. I picked up a cobra intake and plan to swap it over, if I ever get time.
20171123_125223-2941x1491.jpg

broncojunkie

The GT looks really good!

Thanks, Red. But I also should mention that I had a mishap while rolling my engine hoist near this car a couple weeks ago. Put a nice gouge and dent in passenger door. Looks like she'll be going back for some more paint, this spring/summer. Things are tough all over lol!

Redtwilight

Shinigami
Thanks, Red. But I also should mention that I had a mishap while rolling my engine hoist near this car a couple weeks ago. Put a nice gouge and dent in passenger door. Looks like she'll be going back for some more paint, this spring/summer. Things are tough all over lol!

LOL Mustang World Problems!
Doesn't sound too bad. I have an entire new front clip on mine from an accident right before Christmas 2016. I've still yet to paint it. I'd like to get that done sometime this year.

broncojunkie

This car has been neglected since last year. The power steering pump went out again and I just didn't have it in me to swap it again. Changing the pulley was a nightmare the last time. Nothing's ever easy, right? I had the pulley removal/installation tool, but it was on there good. So good that it promptly broke the puller, leaving a broken bit stuck inside the pulley. And that was just the beginning of my power steering pump related problems.

I let it sit all through fall and winter because that debacle about did me in. I finally got tired of looking at it and tackled it again. I ordered a new pulley this time, although it still took WAY too long to install. A few other minor setbacks, but I got her put back together. Charged the battery and she fired right up. Power steering working once again (although who knows for how long).

I did notice some valvetrain noise, so I decided to pull a valve cover and found a loose rocker. I ended up pulling the intake and checking/ adjusting preload on all cylinders. Finally got it all buttoned up and I evidently got one too tight. Stripped it back down and did it again. Put back together and now she's happy again.

I still think I may have a small vacuum leak somewhere. Not sure when I'll have time to deal with it. I also need to clean it up, fix the door ding and paint, fix a small exhaust leak, and get the tags renewed and inspection done. Never enough days in the week!

broncojunkie

I got a few days off and finally had a little time to work on this one. Today, I started investigating the rough idle issue. I did some testing on the iac, tps, and evac purge solenoid. Everything seemed fine. Just to rule it out, I cleaned the maf sensor. I guess I hadn't tried that before, because it's now running and idling better than ever.

Im going to try and get the state inspection done and get some real drive time in.

broncojunkie

Finally made it out to one of our local mustang club meet-ups. Just a small one, but still felt good to get out and drive it.
We were one of only 2 foxes. Most of the folks have newer cars. I don't think most of them really wrench on them, but there are definitely some nice Mustangs.

Redtwilight

Shinigami
I know the feeling of finally getting a car back on the road and driving it.

Most of the Mustangs at cruise in's seem to fall in 2 groups. '05 - up new and owners never hardly turned a wrench on them or '04 - older and the owners fully restored and or modified the Stangs themselves. But most Foxes and SN-95's still seem to be in the "In Progress" state.

mustanggarage

looking good bronkojunkie. I haven't done anything but drive my 89 for a while but I did start a new project. from your user name I thought you might be interested. 71 bronco restomod. it is a ground up long term project. keep on wrenching. your foxes are looking great

broncojunkie

looking good bronkojunkie. I haven't done anything but drive my 89 for a while but I did start a new project. from your user name I thought you might be interested. 71 bronco restomod. it is a ground up long term project. keep on wrenching. your foxes are looking great
Absolutely! I've always wanted one of the early broncos. I sold some cleveland stuff to a guy yesterday who has, I believe, 3 of them. I checked them out on his FB page and they're all nice. I've seen one of them around town a few times over the years, but never knew who they belonged to. His are all cleveland powered with 4 speed.

broncojunkie

Quick update on this car. I gave it to a good friend last year and he's driven it way more than I ever did. He managed to bend a pushrod or two a while back, but it was repaired. While he had it apart, he upgraded the heads, cam, and intake. He went with Skip White aluminum heads (190cc intake runners, iirc, with 60cc chambers? ). He added a TF intake and x303 cam (same 1.7 rockers). It really moves, now!

We're going to try and get it to the track this summer, along with my pace car.