• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My 1990 GT Restoration Project

90REDGT

View attachment 1123 View attachment 1122 View attachment 1121 View attachment 1120 View attachment 1119 View attachment 1118 Well they were right!!!! 19,3 inches at O'hare airport, I'm about 8 miles form there....It came down for about 30 hours. Started late Saturday night about 9 pm and all the way to early Monday about 4 am with the blowing and drifting. I was out early Sunday morning to get a jump on the 5 pm storm they said was going to be worse...after that it was snug as a bug in the rug....Finished on Monday with another 4 hours of snow blowing and shoveling....Batteries went on the camera when I went out Monday to get the finished look...My second most important purchase.....TORO snow blower...my first is that little 4 wheeled stool she got me from Sears...but her azz is in it as soon as I get off it...
That's crazy! We got about 10 inches here in Iowa and with the blowing and drifting, that's enough for me!

I'm supposed to be pulling the engine by Saturday morning since I have a guy coming out to pick it up but it's too cold to work on it! Good news is all I have to do is hook up the chains, disconnect the engine mounts, and pull.

John2002

We were in Iowa a few times....Tell Diamond Joe I said "HI"
4 degrees today and 30 tomorrow....sounds like a big Mississippi flood again come summer time...

90REDGT

We were in Iowa a few times....Tell Diamond Joe I said "HI"
4 degrees today and 30 tomorrow....sounds like a big Mississippi flood again come summer time...
I've never been to Diamond Jo's. I know of one near the Minnesota border and I think one on Dubuque. I hope it isn't going to flood too bad!

mustanggarage

I am taking off for a conference. I will be leaving saturday and won't be back until the 19th. hope it is warmer when I get back lol. 5 days conference the rest fun and travel time. can't wait

John2002

S5000059.jpg
S5000058.jpg
S5000061.jpg
Got bunch of things put away in the garage today, I even got the new distributor in within 5 minutes...fit that patch on the left side driver seat bolt with 8 steel rivets and a piece of sheet metal I got from work... 7 x 3 inch patch over that bolt should keep it from pulling away from that frame work. I should be able to start putting the interior back in this week...the weather won't be a problem. My driveway is almost dried up....I got rid of those black slush mounds that fall off from behind the wheels...

Last edited:

90REDGT

Looking good! I wish I were ready to put interior in this week!

I pulled the motor Friday night and the buyer came down from MN to pick it up Saturday morning. I have the trans listed, hopefully it sells soon too. Today I started putting a list together of every part and took a bunch of pictures as well. I still have a number of parts to review, but when done I hope to have a list of each part identifying if the part will be reused, replaced, or restored.

When it warms up (probably April) I'll finish stripping the car down to get it ready for bodywork and paint. At this point I just keep an eye out for parts I know I need.

John2002

Freezing rain this morning...what else is next??? I haven't gone down that road...pulling the motor is not in my near future. I'd like to pull the plenum and clean the inside of it. I had a leaking gasket on the part that warms the throttle body. When I had it off it looked all caked over with lots of greenish crude. I'm going to keep the engine stock, I'm sure I won't be doing any hot rodding in it...ever... Just about all the things I've gone through when I got the car were because it was mostly all original. When I did the shocks and struts the first winter the rears were leaking oil!!!! I had a few trip to the bone yard go uneventful, most of the cars in the bone yards I've been to by me had been so stripped down to the bare bones. I don't know why they were still on their lot. I went to a Fox only parts recycler in a suburb south of me and it was like tripping over one unless part after another...Good luck on selling what you can...

90REDGT

Ok so I been looking at a 1991 GT in San Antonio, TX which is for sale and has the same color interior (red/black) as my 90 GT and from the pictures it appears to be in pretty good condition. Everything on the car is original except for a recent addition of a cold air induction system and MSD ignition. Car has 154,000 miles and has been down south (Houston/San Antonio) its whole life.

Now, the reason I have been looking at this car is solely for a parts car for my 90 GT as most of my interior is shot (and much of the exterior too).

I'm having second thoughts taking a seemingly good survivor and stripping it down for my needs. Any thoughts?

As it stands now, at a minimum, I need a drivers seat, center console, and misc. interior parts. Some of this I can buy new but not all so I have to get parts somewhere. I was planning on replacing virtually everything on my car from headlights to tail lights.

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Personally I just can't see buying and stripping a car that is in perfectly good shape just for parts; but that's just me I know it.

90REDGT

Personally I just can't see buying and stripping a car that is in perfectly good shape just for parts; but that's just me I know it.

I guess I sort of feel the same way. I want really good/excellent condition original interior although as old as these cars are getting, that means you need to get it from a decent shape donor. What's worse is my car is actually in much worse shape, although due to the history with it I want to restore it. The only advantage to stripping from one good car is you basically have every screw and part right there instead of getting one from one place then something from another.

My dash isn't too bad but the center console is shot. Most if the interior parts I have seen available as new replacements but not all parts.

John2002

There is a big Fox body parts place in New Lenox Ill. Encore Mustang parts, its right off of I-80 and Rt 30. Its been a few years since I have been there but he does have hundreds if not thousands of parts. Maybe you can get in touch with him and set something up...He has over 3 barns full of parts. Scrapping one car to make a better one seems to be a good idea if thats your only option.

SiberianStang

I Know Exactly What You Mean,Nobody Takes Care Of Things Like Yourself So Its Not Only Frustrating But Irritating When You Feel Like You Have To Start Completely Over To Get Back To The Beginning Where You Left Off Last As A Starting Point Going Forward!

John2002

woo hoo...its gonna be near 30 degrees this weekend....as I just dumped 25 lbs of rock salt on the side walk and driveway today...near 40 by next Monday...anyone living along the Mississippi River south of St. Louis should start getting the sand bags ready...our 17 inches of snow and just about everything that fell along that corridor is on its way to you....I still have about 80 percent of that snow fall from the first week in February...

90REDGT

I'm looking forward to the warmer weather, about time! I have a lot to do and haven't worked on the car because of the cold. It's been about a month since I worked on it.

I have a guy picking up the trans this weekend and sold the old engine about a month ago. Hopefully within the next few weeks I'll be able to get back on the Mustang.

John2002

Yeah, me too... the plumber was here today with the final walk through...they start on April 6. I have the month of March to get mine back together and get it back on all fours. I still need to get the hood in to get the dent fixed..I should at least be able to get the the carpet back in on Saturday. I hope I remember what screw went where.....I have to fine new ones for the rear side panels, I think its been apart before and not one screw looks the same....

90REDGT

Yeah, me too... the plumber was here today with the final walk through...they start on April 6. I have the month of March to get mine back together and get it back on all fours. I still need to get the hood in to get the dent fixed..I should at least be able to get the the carpet back in on Saturday. I hope I remember what screw went where.....I have to fine new ones for the rear side panels, I think its been apart before and not one screw looks the same....

My car is missing half the screws and the screws in there are not the right ones either. I saw they sell a replacement screw kit which labels the screws so you know where they go and has every interior screw.