• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My 1990 GT Restoration Project

90REDGT

I joined the forum yesterday and per a suggestion, I'm starting a thread regarding my restoration. Eventually I'll post the story how 20 years passed between the first time I bought the car and the second time, pretty cool how I tracked the car down.

Anyways, the previous 18 or so owners (based on Auto Check) did a number on the car and now it's time for a full-blown restoration. As I've always said, if you don't know how to work on a car the right way then don't do it, just causes more headaches for those that need to "undo" your "fixes".

The original motor, trans, turbine wheels, drivers seat, and steering wheel are gone and the car has been painted teal...with red interior! I'll be restoring the car back to red exterior and red interior, starting with interior disassembly today. I expect this to be a lengthy process, especially considering I'm already committed to restoring another car (my fathers old car).

Here are a few pics today:
Engine.jpg

Driver Int View.jpg
Pass Int View.jpg
Front Seats.jpg
Hatch.jpg
Exterior.jpg

And from 20 years ago:
1st Front.jpg
1st Side.jpg
1st Interior.jpg

mustanggarage

wow someone sure did do a number on that car. glad to see you are going to fix it. I actually kind of like the teal paint, but certainly not with the red interior. I look forward to following your progress.

90REDGT

I spent a good part of the day removing the interior. The carpet and padding were damp and looks like I'll need new floor pans. I can't believe how many hack jobs were done to the car. Multiple wires have been cut, melted connectors, burnt carpet from burning wires, etc. Here are a few pictures.

Burnt carpet:
IMG_20150119_104943.jpg

Blue RTV/gasket maker used for steering wheel mount, wrong size bolt used:
IMG_20150119_135155.jpg

Drywall screw used to fasten the driver side kick panel:
IMG_20150119_123154.jpg

Floor pan driver side, too many holes and rust:
IMG_20150119_135245.jpg

They decided to cutoff the wiring to the seats, trim panels using duct tape:
IMG_20150119_122301.jpg

Interior finally gone:
IMG_20150119_155717.jpg

90REDGT

Looks like I currently have a 1988 5.0 engine, 1989 manual trans, and a 1990 car. Because of the differences in harnesses between 1990 and 1988-1989, it's no surprise my harnesses have been hacked together and the engine was made carbureted. Looks like I'll be replacing all of the harnesses while the car is stripped, no sense chancing it with harnesses butchered, melted connectors, and brittle insulation.

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Looks like I currently have a 1988 5.0 engine, 1989 manual trans, and a 1990 car. Because of the differences in harnesses between 1990 and 1988-1989, it's no surprise my harnesses have been hacked together and the engine was made carbureted. Looks like I'll be replacing all of the harnesses while the car is stripped, no sense chancing it with harnesses butchered, melted connectors, and brittle insulation.

My theory has always been do it once and do it right and now that you have everything out of the way it's a perfect time to do it right.

Last edited:

mustanggarage

I hate wiring. so I do the same thing. when in doubt replace it so you don't have to worry about hacked up wiring when you are trying to sort things out. I just went through and completely rewired my 65 with an american autowire harness last year. fortunately all the wiring on my 89 seems to be in good shape. btw does anyone sell replacement wiring harnesses for these cars or are you going to be looking at ebay and junkyards?

90REDGT

Because 90 was a "transition" year (had features of 89 and 91 but yet were different then both), I have not found a new true 90 harness. Most harnesses (complete) are for 89 and earlier. I have looked at places like Ron Francis Wiring who can custom make harnesses, I requested a quote but have not heard back. My plans are to strip the car, have it chemically stripped and E coated, repair damaged sheet metal and reinforce torque boxes and structural members, replace the interior, and throw a Coyote and TKO trans in. If the original engine and trans were in the car I would stay stock and rebuild but since it's all cobbled together, might as well start fresh and integrate modern technology! I'm not looking to build a race car, just breathe new life into the car. I want to keep a stock appearance for the entire car, even the old turbine wheels, just with new powertrain.

mustanggarage

wow that is going to be one heck of an awesome project. at first I looked at that and thought man that is a huge expense. then I started looking at how much I spent on my 331 stroker engine and the difference was not that huge. and since you have to replace the wiring harness anyway getting the stand alone engine management system might even be easier and not much more expensive so anyway I look forward to seeing how it all shakes out. I have a question about actually mounting that engine in a fox. is there a conversion kit out there or are you going to have to fabricate motor mounts?

90REDGT

To mount the Coyote to a Fox Body you need to add an aftermarket K-member (includes the correct motor mount locations) and different oil pan which provides the right clearance. Then there are headers designed specifically for the Coyote for a fox body (BBK, not sure if there are others or not). The control pack from Ford racing is also needed.

Some companies (Ford Cobra Engines for example) sell kits to make it easier to install the Coyote, you buy the engine and installation kit and it's about everything you need for the install. I thought about putting the period correct 5.0 back in but then I have to locate the engine, rebuild it, rebuild the tranny, and still replace all the wiring. If I have a rolling chassis which is completely restored, might as well do it right and modernize the powertrain.

I'm jealous of your vehicle lift, I have nothing but old barns with 8-9 foot ceilings to work in.

mustanggarage

I have to tell you that lift is one of the best investments my Dad ever made lol. he is retired now and he moved out here to a small apartment so he could be closer to my sister and me. when he decided he couldn't really ride his yamaha vstar motorcycle he said he would give it to me. My wife pitched such a fit though that we decided to save that battle for something we wanted more so he told me if I could sell the bike we could use the money to buy the lift. when I built this shop I had always thought someday I might get a lift so I had the concrete poured for it at the time. we bought the lift for 1900 dollars plus 200 for shipping. we installed it ourselves and just had to pay the electrician because the warranty said it had to be wired by a certified electrician. and since my Dad cannot get under cars anymore it has allowed him to continue enjoying the hobby long after he would have had to quit. so it has been great for both of us. we use it all the time. so for less than what I paid for my daughters total control rack and pinion we have an awesome tool that we use all the time it has saved us so much time, pain etc. and with my job I can't really get dirty much so with this I can still enjoy my hobby. so yeah I love it lol. and like I said Dad bought it so all it cost me was hiring the electrician. Bonus.

90REDGT

That is cool how you got one, and I can see how useful it would be, especially for your dad! I have been holding off buying a house (currently rent) as I may end up changing positions at work and if so, it's possible I may end up having to move. Once the dust settles, I plan on putting in a pole building with a nice shop area. I work on cars and trucks all the time and I have been wanting a lift for years! As I finish stripping my Mustang, all of it is while on the ground ;-(

John2002

Double Yep on that one...ROOM.... is the first thing you should have when it come to tearing down a car, I've pulled out my interior and had to take everything and place it in the basement while life goes on in my 2.5 car garage...You got quite a chore lined up for yourself....it looks like that car has gone through a few hoops in its days...my 89 was on great shape when we got it 5 years ago...I can't even imagine the room I'd need to do what your starting....

Good luck... and may the Mustang Gods be with you....

90REDGT

Double Yep on that one...ROOM.... is the first thing you should have when it come to tearing down a car, I've pulled out my interior and had to take everything and place it in the basement while life goes on in my 2.5 car garage...You got quite a chore lined up for yourself....it looks like that car has gone through a few hoops in its days...my 89 was on great shape when we got it 5 years ago...I can't even imagine the room I'd need to do what your starting....

Good luck... and may the Mustang Gods be with you....

I have the car in one of the barns which is good size, but not insulated so it's pretty cold laying out there on the concrete. My 20' utility trailer is piled with interior parts and all of the old carpet and padding is piled up on the floor. I need to take a picture of the chaos!

You are absolutely right, the car has been used and abused. The previous owners didn't have a clue on how to do anything, many hack jobs throughout.

Today I removed the exhaust, drive shaft, manual trans, cooling system, and have the engine ready to pull. I'm pulling the engine out this week and next Saturday I have a guy coming out to pick up the engine. I'm going to slow down once the engine is out and wait for warmer weather before I continue! This is the last car I lay on my back on concrete working on, I need a lift! Unfortunately the barn isn't tall enough for a lift, looks like it's time to move!

John2002

We're getting hit with about 14 inches of snow before its all over, supposed to end at 4 am Monday morning....the way it looks on radar the heaviest snow is coming after 5 pm today. Maybe I'll buzz they sidewalks and driveway and try again late Monday morning for the rest...2011 was our last two day 22 inch snow fall. I got some pictures of that one...

Attachments

• J1024x768-02865.jpg
    J1024x768-02865.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 407
  • J1024x768-02866.jpg
    J1024x768-02866.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 414
  • J1024x768-02867.jpg
    J1024x768-02867.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 409
  • J1024x768-02868.jpg
    J1024x768-02868.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:

John2002

More pictures, they say it won't be as bad as that one.....I HOPE SOOOOO!!!!

Attachments

• J1024x768-02874.jpg
    J1024x768-02874.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 413
  • J1024x768-02879.jpg
    J1024x768-02879.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 418
  • J1024x768-02881.jpg
    J1024x768-02881.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 391
  • J1024x768-02883.jpg
    J1024x768-02883.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 401
  • J1024x768-02889.jpg
    J1024x768-02889.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 409
  • J1024x768-02895.jpg
    J1024x768-02895.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 368

John2002

S5000074.jpg
S5000070.jpg
S5000069.jpg
S5000066.jpg
S5000064.jpg
S5000062.jpg
Well they were right!!!! 19,3 inches at O'hare airport, I'm about 8 miles form there....It came down for about 30 hours. Started late Saturday night about 9 pm and all the way to early Monday about 4 am with the blowing and drifting. I was out early Sunday morning to get a jump on the 5 pm storm they said was going to be worse...after that it was snug as a bug in the rug....Finished on Monday with another 4 hours of snow blowing and shoveling....Batteries went on the camera when I went out Monday to get the finished look...My second most important purchase.....TORO snow blower...my first is that little 4 wheeled stool she got me from Sears...but her azz is in it as soon as I get off it...

Last edited: