• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Loud Squeak During Startup

erikcpod

Hey I'm 18 and my 1993 5.0 is my first "project car." It started to make a very loud squeak during startup and it's now having idling issues.

ddrewes11

Did the idling issues happen only after the squeaking started? Squeaking could be the drive belt getting old, might be slipping which could cause the idling issue. But they could be unrelated as well.

broncojunkie

Check for leaks too. A drop of power steering fluid or coolant here and there can make them sing. If everything looks nice and dry and the belt tension looks good, remove the belt and turn the pulleys by hand. They should all feel smooth when you turn them. If bearings, for instance, in your alternator go bad, they can lock up and cause a squeal.

broncojunkie

And don't forget the tensioner. It should be keeping the belt pretty tight and spring back with authority when you crank on it. They do tend to weaken over time.

erikcpod

Did the idling issues happen only after the squeaking started? Squeaking could be the drive belt getting old, might be slipping which could cause the idling issue. But they could be unrelated as well.
Yeah the bad idling started happening once it started squeaking and I already put a new belt on. I also have brand new power steering and alternator because they went out a few months ago. Thanks for the help so far I'll try that stuff tomorrow morning.