• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Embarking on a lot of clean up . . . not really a resto . . . quite

Erkenbrand

While doing that, I'm also prepping the 8.8 that's replacing my 7.5. Knocking the bushings out was a pain, but not terrible. I did buy the special tool through LMR, and it worked great on one side. The other side was so rusted in I had to get very persuasive with a cold chisel and 4lb sledge.

20230325_123048.jpg

Erkenbrand

With the back of the motor nice and exposed, I can get up in there and pull out the old crossover tube remnants between the heads. The previous owner kindly crush the tube on each end, but I'm going to replace it witch actual plugs. I want it to be a neat job if anybody ever looks back there.

20230325_194712.jpg

Erkenbrand

Earlier, I replaced my steering shaft. I finally took a picture of it installed. You'll also note the old fuel lines, including a return line, from when this car still had its turbo 4. Currently, I'm just using the feed line for the carb, but I'm going to do a better job of sealing off the return line. I might go back to fuel injected some day and it would be nice to already have lines in place.

20230325_194646.jpg

Erkenbrand

And I can't forget the star of the show - the T5 that's about ready to go in. I have a new bearing retainer with steel shaft for the throwing bearing on its way. Also, a new output shaft seal so I will have it nicely buttoned up. You'll also see most of my RockAuto magent collection, a B17 O2 tank, and misc other stuff. I really need to improve some of my organization.

20230324_191312.jpg

Erkenbrand

The question I have for everybody here - Anybody ever done this swap for a 1980 4spd to T5? I ask because the backup light switch is not equivalent. Here's a photo of the plug on the 4spd trans, and there's a corresponding plug on the car. I could take a wild guess that the white and black wires are the two I need, but that red jumper wire is throwing me off. I'm ordering a new 2 prong plug to replace the vehicle side. I just need to make sure I'm using the correct wires.

20230327_115224.jpg

broncojunkie

The question I have for everybody here - Anybody ever done this swap for a 1980 4spd to T5? I ask because the backup light switch is not equivalent. Here's a photo of the plug on the 4spd trans, and there's a corresponding plug on the car. I could take a wild guess that the white and black wires are the two I need, but that red jumper wire is throwing me off. I'm ordering a new 2 prong plug to replace the vehicle side. I just need to make sure I'm using the correct wires.

View attachment 4025
Making some nice progress! I have done the early 4spd to t5 swap several times. In fact, I have a 79 pace car apart right now with the wires hanging. I also picked up another t5 today! The reverse switch setup is really simple, but I'm not staring at it at the moment. Does your t5 have a plug/harness coming out of the top toward the front? If so, that's not the reverse light switch. The reverse light switch is located on the left side of the case. I believe it's just a small switch with two small studs. All you need to do is find your plug (which should be right there in your trans tunnel) and connect them to the studs.... in no specific order.

If you're not sure which wires go to the reverse lights, I can look at one of my cars tomorrow and let you know.

Erkenbrand

Making some nice progress! I have done the early 4spd to t5 swap several times. In fact, I have a 79 pace car apart right now with the wires hanging. I also picked up another t5 today! The reverse switch setup is really simple, but I'm not staring at it at the moment. Does your t5 have a plug/harness coming out of the top toward the front? If so, that's not the reverse light switch. The reverse light switch is located on the left side of the case. I believe it's just a small switch with two small studs. All you need to do is find your plug (which should be right there in your trans tunnel) and connect them to the studs.... in no specific order.

If you're not sure which wires go to the reverse lights, I can look at one of my cars tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks - I'd appreciate it. My T5 does have the wires on the top front, and the backup switch on the left side. The harness coming out of my car has a 4 prong plug, not the 2 post. I ordered a 2 post so I could splice it in, I'm just not sure which of the wires should be plugged in. I'm pretty sure I have it figured out, but I'd appreciate it if you could take a picture or give me a description.

I have a second T5 as well. I got the pair as a package deal - one is supposed to be good, and the other was sitting in the corner of a storage unit missing the input bearing retainer. Nobody knew anything about it, so the guy just tossed it into the deal to get it out of there. At least it has a good bellhousing, so it was worth taking away just for that. I might even try my hand at rebuilding it for the heck of it. I've rebuilt a couple of AODs, so this shouldn't be terrible.

broncojunkie

Ok sorry it took a while. I didn't make it out to the garage till late, and then I had to track down my old Haynes manual and a magnifying glass because the wiring diagrams are tiny! So my cars have a 4-wire plug also. I looked at my 79 cobra, which was a factory auto car and the pace car, which was 4 spd manual. The manual cars use a 2-wire pigtail into the 4-wire plug. Close as I can tell, the 4 wire colors are blk-pink (x2), white, and solid black. The 2-wire plug is just an extension of the blk-pink wires, which are the 12v feed/return for the reverse lights. The blk and white wires, although my Haynes manual doesn't list them or show them, I believe are for the ignition switch relay wire. The red jumper wire is in place because the early manual cars didn't get a clutch start safety switch/park switch. I guess they figured if you're experienced enough to drive a manual, you should know better lol! Anyway, you should be able to cut the plug off. Connect the blk & wht wires. Run each blk-pk leg to the reverse switch studs and you're gtg. Or if you have the plug end that connects to the reverse switch, just splice those blk-pink wires into that. On my other pace car, I think I ended up cutting it off and connecting it with nuts and small ring terminals. Something like that. Seems like the plug wasn't in great shape or didn't fit. It's been a few years and I can't remember exactly.

Last edited:

Erkenbrand

Ok sorry it took a while. I didn't make it out to the garage till late, and then I had to track down my old Haynes manual and a magnifying glass because the wiring diagrams are tiny! So my cars have a 4-wire plug also. I looked at my 79 cobra, which was a factory auto car and the pace car, which was 4 spd manual. The manual cars use a 2-wire pigtail into the 4-wire plug. Close as I can tell, the 4 wire colors are blk-pink (x2), white, and solid black. The 2-wire plug is just an extension of the blk-pink wires, which are the 12v feed/return for the reverse lights. The blk and white wires, although my Haynes manual doesn't list them or show them, I believe are for the ignition switch relay wire. The red jumper wire is in place because the early manual cars didn't get a clutch start safety switch/park switch. I guess they figured if you're experienced enough to drive a manual, you should know better lol! Anyway, you should be able to cut the plug off. Connect the blk & wht wires. Run each blk-pk leg to the reverse switch studs and you're gtg. Or if you have the plug end that connects to the reverse switch, just splice those blk-pink wires into that. On my other pace car, I think I ended up cutting it off and connecting it with nuts and small ring terminals. Something like that. Seems like the plug wasn't in great shape or didn't fit. It's been a few years and I can't remember exactly.
Thanks for the help! I have a plug on order from LMR. I'll splice it in and see how it works.

Erkenbrand

I took some pics if you need them. I don't think you would be able to make out much if post them here, but I'd be happy to text or email them to you.
I tackled it this weekend, I spliced in the new plug. Thanks for taking a look at it. Here are a couple of photos for folks who may run into this in the future.

Here's the old plug and wiring on the 4 speed:

20230401_115537.jpg

And the spliced in plug. I ordered the plug from LMR.

20230401_133438.jpg

And all set with the trans. I'll get some tape wrapped around the loom later. Of course I forgot the heat shrink before I spliced everything.

20230401_153654.jpg

Erkenbrand

It was a big weekend for finally making tangible progress. New pilot bearing, rear main seal, flywheel, clutch, and trans installed.

On the trans I replaced the input bearing retainer. Check out the old one . . . it was just a tad worn:

20230401_114509.jpg

Here's the trans ready to go in. New steel bearing retainer installed, and plug for the speedometer cable port. I'm not using a speedo cable, so that frees up some space.

20230401_115501.jpg

Clutch, etc:

20230401_101901.jpg

20230401_105046.jpg

20230401_153702.jpg

Erkenbrand

I was about to install my new clutch cable, only to find out my '80 has a different cable design. I don't have a quadrant, etc, just a cable that fits over a post on the clutch pedal assemble. Rather than changing out the assembly, I sourced the correct cable from RockAuto, and I'm putting the rest on a shelf for a future project.

Clutch Cable end.jpg

Erkenbrand

The old trans was the 4spd, and missing 2nd gear. You couldn't tell it was a high mileage trans. I mean, this wear is how it was meant to be. Right? ;-) (Yes, there is a hairline crack in that aluminum.)

20230401_120140.jpg

Erkenbrand

Progress continues! Now, all of the exhaust is back in, along with new parking brake cables, and new rear control arms. I'm finally on the verge of installing the rear axle. If the new sway bars get here by the end of the week, I might even have it back to sitting on the ground this weekend while I switch my attention to the engine upgrades.

I also need to install the new tape deck so I can brake out the old collection. :)

20230404_191655.jpg

Erkenbrand

I was able to install the new rear end over the weekend. As a one man show, it was a pain, but my tractor helped with the heavy lifting.

Those red drums are not permanent. They're on there to keep everything protected while messing around. I didn't get any photos of the final installation. I was all done with the day by that point. :)

20230408_120140.jpg