• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Embarking on a lot of clean up . . . not really a resto . . . quite

Erkenbrand

Another big lift this weekend. I've been fighting an idling problem with the Sniper, and finally figured it out. My idle would not drop below 1250 for anything. It acted like there was a vacuum leak, but I couldn't find one. After speaking to a Holley tech, they sent me a replacement IAC. I put it in and . . . same issue. It turns out one of the primary throttle blades isn't closing completely. If I hold the throttle lever back to force it more closed, I can get the idle down and the IAC to kick in. So I need to figure that out.

I did finally add a fuel pressure gauge so I could confirm the pressure being provided by the pump.

20230812_124708.jpg

It runs great with the exception of idle. On the road it's fantastic. Much better performance than the Holley carb that was on there, or the Edelbrock AVS2 I installed. Of course part of that is running the Hyperspark system.

While I was mucking about in the engine bay I decided to clean up more wiring and get rid of the starter relay on the fender. I've already replaced the starter with a newer model that's smaller, high torque, and has a relay built in. That just meant I had to swap around wires, move some to the positive battery terminal. The MSD relay in the photo currently supports my two cooling fans. It leaves me with room for more, like the fog lights.

20230813_130030.jpg

Now that I'm pretty happy with the Sniper, I can finally install the right air cleaner. I had to add a 1/2" spacer beneath the cleaner so it would clear the distributor, but I'm pretty happy with it overall.

20230813_130037.jpg

Next up . . . cruise control! I've already completed installing the mechanical bits. Tonight, I'm going to wire it in. I'm using the Dakota Digital cruise module. Since I'm also using their VHX gauge set, GPS speedo, and Bluetooth fan controller, I'm well and truly part of the Dakota ecosystem.

Erkenbrand

For those who are considering running a Sniper, be happy the Sniper 2 is now available. :) From what I've heard they've addressed most of the issues that plague the original.

After a LOT of trial and error, I finally have my Sniper dialed in. Although it's been running great, I couldn't get it to idle below 1200. It was maddening. I called Holley tech support multiple times, hit up various forums, etc. Last night, I figured it out.

It turns out the primary throttle blades were not seating correctly so air was getting by no matter what I tried. I pulled the Sniper off, and then loosened the screws holding the blades. After a bunch of playing around, I was able to get them better aligned in the bores so they have an improved seal. It still isn't perfect, but I now have the idle down to 800. I really want it closer to 750, but I'm satisfied with this.

Next, I'm going to call Holley again and talk through this. Things still aren't right since I'm at 800 with the idle screw backed all the way out, and the IAC still isn't doing anything. The blades could be better seated, but I think I'm in the territory of problems with the blades themselves rather than anything I can do.

In this photo you can see how much light is getting by them, and this is after my first attempt at aligning them. Which is 25% better than when I started.

20230821_175519.jpg

On the other hand the secondaries are sealed up pretty well.

But I've finally achieved an idle I can live with. That means it's time for a road trip!

This weekend I'm going to visit my family back in Ohio and put about 1000 miles on. All it has to do is make it there and back.

Erkenbrand

By the way - does anybody out there have the vent pull knob? I asked in a couple of FB groups, and had people offering it for $100. For a plastic knob. That's just crazy talk for me.

20230819_170000_v1.jpg

broncojunkie

Glad to see you're making progress! FWIW, my 82 is missing that knob as well! I bet Ford used a knob already in-stock from another application. You might try looking through some interior pics, parts books, etc for some earlier models.

Erkenbrand

Glad to see you're making progress! FWIW, my 82 is missing that knob as well! I bet Ford used a knob already in-stock from another application. You might try looking through some interior pics, parts books, etc for some earlier models.
For the vent knob I ended up finding a NOS one from a 79 Granada. It was all of $14 on ebay, and looks great. I don't know what the original one looked like, but I'm pretty happy with this one.

20230829_085159.jpg

Last edited:

Erkenbrand

I'm continuing to build this Mustang as something of an 80s tribute (just ignore the Holley Sniper system) ;-)

Since every hot rod I knew back then added at least 50HP by adding stickers, I've started piling them on the car. The rule is - I have to actually use whatever is being advertised. I've filled up the first 1/4 window, and just started the second.

20230828_193205.jpg

Erkenbrand

Well, the Mustang is put away for the year. I'm in upstate / western New York, and it's too cold to work on or drive it. Of course that's in part due to me not running lines to the heater core. :)

So it now sits on a battery tender, and I'm starting it once a month to keep it happy. Here's a photo of Holley Sniper readout at its last idle after its last road trip of the year.

20230915_182248.jpg

81Notch

I'm a Brockport NY native, but don't tell any of my neighbors here in VA that I'm a Yankee, they may run me out of here...

I understand the cold weather problem, we crept up to low 50's today so I stayed home and painted some interior pieces while I had the chance. Not ideal painting temps, but you take what you can get when you live in the mountains.

broncojunkie

I follow a few auto painters on YouTube and I see them painting in 40 degree temps, often. I like the warmer days in the winter (45-60 degrees) because it's not too cold to paint, but there aren't any bugs out. I plan to do some painting here soon. I'm way behind on projects.

One Owner 1982

I think if we are honest we are all behind on our projects. I have my 1982 and 1966 both in progress right now. The 66 is in worse shape than the 82. I’m doing mostly interior work on the 82 to get it ready for cruises in 2024. I’m building the drive train for the 66 and about to start the fabrication work soon. Good luck to all who tackle the resurrection of old Mustangs no matter what year they are!

Attachments

• IMG_6479.jpeg
    IMG_6479.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6260.jpeg
    IMG_6260.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 0
  • 71651495845__BCAE2D54-651C-4C0B-9422-3B99D4381985.jpeg
    71651495845__BCAE2D54-651C-4C0B-9422-3B99D4381985.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6465.jpeg
    IMG_6465.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6478.jpeg
    IMG_6478.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 0

Erkenbrand

I think if we are honest we are all behind on our projects. I have my 1982 and 1966 both in progress right now. The 66 is in worse shape than the 82. I’m doing mostly interior work on the 82 to get it ready for cruises in 2024. I’m building the drive train for the 66 and about to start the fabrication work soon. Good luck to all who tackle the resurrection of old Mustangs no matter what year they are!
Looks like those are coming along. I did a '66 Sprint Mustang many years ago. Looks like it was about in the same condition. :)

Erkenbrand

I'd really like to get air conditioning installed before next season. I have a goal of taking this on Power Tour next year, and I'm going to need it. Too bad this car didn't come with it originally. Finding AC parts is a pain in the rear.

One Owner 1982

I was able to buy a compressor, dryer, orifice and condenser from Rock Auto. Then I had new lines made at a local shop in Birmingham by using my old hose ends. I flushed out my evaporator. Had a local shop do a vacuum and service. I had replaced all my seals but my pressure switch was leaking. Changed it out with a purchase from Amazon and the system has been working great.

Attachments

• 70992438048__C13662A0-6385-4C98-B9F8-A37B739B088B.jpeg
    70992438048__C13662A0-6385-4C98-B9F8-A37B739B088B.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5976.jpeg
    IMG_5976.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5973.jpeg
    IMG_5973.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5972.jpeg
    IMG_5972.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 1

Erkenbrand

I was able to buy a compressor, dryer, orifice and condenser from Rock Auto. Then I had new lines made at a local shop in Birmingham by using my old hose ends. I flushed out my evaporator. Had a local shop do a vacuum and service. I had replaced all my seals but my pressure switch was leaking. Changed it out with a purchase from Amazon and the system has been working great.
I'm planning on going all new for the compressor, etc, as well. Since my car wasn't AC from the factory, it's the interior that I'm trying to find. Although I'll probably end up going with a universal blower if I can figure out where to mount it. It's not like passengers really need leg room, right? ;-)

Erkenbrand

You need a plenum box out of a salvaged car. One with the evaporator and heater core/ fan.
Yeah, if I can find a salvage car to strip that's what I'll do. I also need the AC and PS brackets. I have a universal AC blower assembly I've had on the parts shelf for years. It mounts under the dash where I don't have much room. I'd rather go with the correct setup. We'll see what I can find over the next couple of months.

Erkenbrand

I'm beginning my planning for the Hot Rod Power Tour this year. I'll be taking the Mustang. Last year, I installed a replacement gas tank, but stuck with the 1980 version which is all of 12 gallons. I've noticed that doesn't last terribly long. ;-)

I'm considering swapping that out for the later 15 gallon tank. I know I'll need the matching sending unit. I'm running the Holley in tank fuel pump, so that's all set, and I'll get the matching tank straps and tank protector from LMR. My question is - how much massaging does it take to squeeze that larger tank into the chassis? Anybody tackled this?

Erkenbrand

I found a person who has the AC parts I need. He was going to convert his 81 Cobra, but decided to not. He has a donor car with all of the ductwork, controls, etc, and the section of firewall that's different in the AC cars. This will be a huge help. Of course that means I'm going to have a pretty big job, but while I have everything apart I'll probably go ahead and replace my carpet while I'm at it. :)

Erkenbrand

I'm about to order the new fuel tank and related parts. I'm getting the 83-97 tank from LMR. The extra capacity will be pretty handy. Anybody have experience with this? I'm guessing it's going to be a bit of a squeeze, but I'm not sure how much massaging it will take to fit where the small tank is now.

One Owner 1982

I found a person who has the AC parts I need. He was going to convert his 81 Cobra, but decided to not. He has a donor car with all of the ductwork, controls, etc, and the section of firewall that's different in the AC cars. This will be a huge help. Of course that means I'm going to have a pretty big job, but while I have everything apart I'll probably go ahead and replace my carpet while I'm at it. :)
Is the donor car a hatchback? I need a 79 through 82 hatchback latch assembly.