• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

351w build help!!!

Blown347

Staff member
Good deal! I think you will be very satisfied. Just make sure you have communicated to him all that you want out of the car, like it's purpose (street,drag etc) what kind of idle, rpm range, any of these types of things that you have a preference for. That way he can make you the most power while making sure you get the characteristics that you want.

Hoonigan

I think i was goona go custom grind on the cam, to make sure i get everything about of my combo, and i was looking for advice on what all to do to get the 360-400 rwhp, like intake, and what do do down low, i was goona buy a stock rebuild short block but idk if the valves will clear the pistons, or i was goona go with the 357w shortblock from tre performance, 1400 for a full shortblock, new crank, rods, and probe hyp pistons, then id know the valves would clear, but idk what other parts id need to get 360-400 rwhp from the combo, and i will make one as soon as i can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly it's a 351 w any h/c/i combo you throw on it is going to make that run at that hp. But how deep is your pocket? I can throw what parts you should get but you have to tell me your budget. There's cheap, fast and reliable. Pick two.

spady

Shit i forgot about this thread! Made alot of progress on it, and im still on a budget, so for ive got eddy performer rpms, wiend stealth intake(no clue how to spell the name) holly 750 double pumper, im storting to port the heads and intake with the gasket i got, and i also got the oilpan/pickup/oil punp, and oil pump driveshaft. And im looking for reliable, but also on a budget, and by that i mean i wont be buying cheap ass parts that will break, if it needs to be expensive to be reliable i have no problem waiting and buying it.

Hoonigan

Shit i forgot about this thread! Made alot of progress on it, and im still on a budget, so for ive got eddy performer rpms, wiend stealth intake(no clue how to spell the name) holly 750 double pumper, im storting to port the heads and intake with the gasket i got, and i also got the oilpan/pickup/oil punp, and oil pump driveshaft. And im looking for reliable, but also on a budget, and by that i mean i wont be buying cheap ass parts that will break, if it needs to be expensive to be reliable i have no problem waiting and buying it.

It's good to hear how far you've gotten! What block did you end up going with? Also for daily driving you should go with fuel injection. Your ecu and harness will mount right up to the 351w since both the 351w and the 302 have the same firing order. Why did you go carb if you don't mind me asking?

spady

Its fully rolling now, suspention done, rear drums rebuild, ebreaks working, front breaks are on and justvwaiting fir some plumbing parts, steerings also done. And i wont nessisairy be a daily driver, probaly just goona drive it alot XD and i chose it for it being cheaper, i dont have any hatnees ir anyther, the car didnt even have an engine! It was a 4cyl car originaly

Hoonigan

Its fully rolling now, suspention done, rear drums rebuild, ebreaks working, front breaks are on and justvwaiting fir some plumbing parts, steerings also done. And i wont nessisairy be a daily driver, probaly just goona drive it alot XD and i chose it for it being cheaper, i dont have any hatnees ir anyther, the car didnt even have an engine! It was a 4cyl car originaly

Well that explains why you didn't go fuel injection lol! Manual steering rack or are you keeping your power steering? What did you do for suspension? I need to upgrade my 88 gt but I don't know too much about suspension for I am doing the same swap. But I'm saying all of my money first so I can just contribute a whole month to build it lol

spady

Yes! Plus i like the simplicity of it! No wiering or nuthen! And and its a full flaming river rack, tie rod ends, and steering shaft. With the suspention i have comp dragr struts and shocks, and bbk lowering springs, and full rear tubular controll arms, stock front arms. Its pretty easy! Only thing thats a bitch is getting the front springs in.... They suck! But just a tip if u drop the front contrill arms then out the srping inbetween its save lots of time... I leared the hard way lol! And thats smart, i was goona do that but kept needing more and more parts :p

Hoonigan

Yes! Plus i like the simplicity of it! No wiering or nuthen! And and its a full flaming river rack, tie rod ends, and steering shaft. With the suspention i have comp dragr struts and shocks, and bbk lowering springs, and full rear tubular controll arms, stock front arms. Its pretty easy! Only thing thats a bitch is getting the front springs in.... They suck! But just a tip if u drop the front contrill arms then out the srping inbetween its save lots of time... I leared the hard way lol! And thats smart, i was goona do that but kept needing more and more parts :p

Gotcha haha! How's that steering rack? Expensive or?

spady

I havent drove it yet, but its all super high quality, and has a really smooth nice feel to it, its actully really easy to turn it, but thats also becouse theirs no engine or anything! But i would recoment it forsure

Hoonigan

I havent drove it yet, but its all super high quality, and has a really smooth nice feel to it, its actully really easy to turn it, but thats also becouse theirs no engine or anything! But i would recoment it forsure

Nice! I'll have to look into it. Good luck with your build!

Blown347

Staff member

Pics!? Sounds awesome!

spady

Hey sorry for the late reply hd a busy day with sll this christmas shopping. Hese some pictures!
87ee158da72408cec0eb3ddc962ce671.jpg
4df091791b984451e76742d37f35ac9f.jpg
1f385fbaad1a7f0e11e2d337c9c520be.jpg
971eb9e965195804ce6882b9d5edbb18.jpg
29d4d2da48f2ddcbe40768085d97b801.jpg
19a92cffd7345d12dd2072640b22bce7.jpg
989fec7eaf529003d9893697a81d056e.jpg
4524f3483f5e703c66fa0e0ce8f19444.jpg
da6f178a4e3d20c9106185dc61bcc219.jpg
59155da4ea097c1294ba56d6645be6df.jpg

spady

And hey what do you guys think of putting the oil pump/pan/and all that stuff on then droping in the motor? So that i can start wiering and running break likesand all that jazz, Then finishing it in the car, or just waiting? Also does anyone have/know were i can get the oil punp bolts localy? One thing i forgot to order[emoji58] but anyways i got the ford racing oil pan kit, felpro oulpan gasket, melling heavy duty driveshaft and melling OEM oilpump, got all the gaskets with those, i got a weirth? Still dont know how to spell it lol stealth intake, which is currentely bring portmatched to my heads and the head gasket. Ed curtis recomended the gasket and intake, as well and a bunch of other stuff, so i ordered the intake and gasket so i can port them and get them all nice and shiney then im goona order the rest of the valetrain from him! Also anyone in here know/wana help weld in a rollcage? Im goona order a 6 point kit i think, and i have problem fitting it together and stuff. I can weld... But i dont think i would trust myself welding something that may have to save my life oneday! And i wouldnt even dream of doing it with my princess auto mig[emoji23](dont hate i got it for 40 bucks)

spady

Sorry for the lack of updating, between my diplomas and cold ass weather i havent been working on it much, but hoping tp have it done and driving by grad so starting to build again! I havent stopped buying parts tho... [emoji51] i got a tko600 on the way, centerforce clutch, balanced drivashaft, quicktime scattershield all on its way. Got aome engine parts like oil pan, oilpump, intake, ime port matching the heads with the intake. But ive decided to scrap the solid flat tappet. Im goona go with retro fit roller lifters instead. Still goona go with ED for the custom hyd roller cam, little more then i was wanting to spend, but he went out of his was and gave me some awsome advice and part recomendations and i feel i owe it to him!(not to mention i want all the power i can squeez out of it) so more pictures and updates will start coming!

Blown347

Staff member
Awesome! I've got a hydraulic roller from Ed as well, we'll see how it works, should be badass! I recommend the lunati link bar lifters, nice pieces for the money