• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

351w build help!!!

spady

Im wana build a 351w. I wand around 360-400 rwhp, and i have a budget of 2500. I already have a block, itd a 89 flat tappet, bored 30 over, and in clean shape, new cam bearings, freeze plugs, looks like their was work done to the mains, maby the lifter gallerys, ill have to measure and see. I have a set of performer rpm heads, 2.02 intake, 1.60 exhaust, and a holley 750 double pumper. Its in a stick car with a 8.8 locking rear, 3.73 gears or something like that. Thanks!
55917f379b165e40c2d1526b0f3beb0c.jpg
79b6f608e6cb07ec9ff7f263f88bc3f4.jpg
8ea9d2b7da09317ffb7ffd1a10101b17.jpg
d8fc61c4d2b6119c7877432081e3574c.jpg
8d994473c6abbc1c8d245cefd04aac9e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

broncojunkie

Sounds like you're on the right track. Are you just wanting advice on cam, exhaust, etc? I'm not the expert by any means, but am thinking about doing a 351w swap on my 82 whenever I start the build. You should start a build thread here so we can follow along. Welcome to the forum!

spady

I think i was goona go custom grind on the cam, to make sure i get everything about of my combo, and i was looking for advice on what all to do to get the 360-400 rwhp, like intake, and what do do down low, i was goona buy a stock rebuild short block but idk if the valves will clear the pistons, or i was goona go with the 357w shortblock from tre performance, 1400 for a full shortblock, new crank, rods, and probe hyp pistons, then id know the valves would clear, but idk what other parts id need to get 360-400 rwhp from the combo, and i will make one as soon as i can!

Blown347

Staff member
Without some serious deals on used parts you're going to be hard pressed just to finish the motor for 2500. It is going to cost close to that minus the short block. I would recommend some used victor jr heads, definitely best bang for the buck. A custom cam will be the best route for sure. A carb setup will be cheaper and make more power, so I'd recommend a victor jr intake if its a street car, super Vic if its a track car. There are a lot of good carbs on the market, but an off the shelf model (to save money) will take more time to dial in.

And welcome to our forum!

Blown347

Staff member
Whoops guess I should've read the whole post lol. With the parts you have you can get to your goal, closer to the bottom side around 360 though. Performers are a good head just a bit small for a Windsor. With budget in mind I'd just get the rebuilt stock short block. You can have the pistons fly cut if the PTV clearance isn't there, and it's pretty cheap. I'd still go with a victor jr intake (150 or so used) and a custom cam to maximize the parts you have.

spady

Id be fine with the 360, im looking for a decent street setup, and with those heads i should be a good amount of down low torque which is what im looking for! And what do you think about this short block, decent price and id get differnt pistons with the vale relifes and bump up the compression a bit becouse the stock compresions like 8.1 or something like that right?

Short block: http://treperformance.com/i-8328024-ford-357w-street-short-block.html

spady

And i was planning on doing a home port job the helo the heads out a bit

Blown347

Staff member
You'd have to look at the deck height of the motor. If the piston stays way down in the cylinder and you can have the block decked that's the best way to bump compression (provided there's still good PTV clearance, which will depend a lot on the cam you use) I don't know the stock compression or deck height off hand on a 351. Plus having the block decked will be cheaper then a new set of pistons. I'll do a little research and try and get some good info for ya.

spady

Okk sounds good! I was more woried about the differnt pistons so they would have bigger valve relives. And will a stock rebuild hold 360-400rwhp? And also do you know any good shops in edmonton area that do 351's? I called the block shop and asked how much it would be to build a 351 short block to hold 400hp... He said id be a custom build and cost around 4500... so idk if me missunder stood me or something? Not hating on the shop or being disrespectful by any means, but 4500 for a short block to only hold 400hp is a bit steep...

Blown347

Staff member
A junkyard stock 351w will hold that power just fine. So don't worry about getting crazy with it. I think your engine builder just may not have much experience with windsors (a huge majority of them don't have much ford experience period)

spady

Okk awsom that makes me feel a little better about it! And that would make sence becouse idk how it would cost that much. Is their any good places to buy rebuild short blocks in canada ir prefereble edmonton ir alberta?

Blown347

Staff member
That is a crazy number. You can buy complete 408 stroker shortblocks from some of the best in the business for less then that. Woody at ford strokers sells a complete forged 408 shortblock for 3500. (3000 for a cast crank)

Blown347

Staff member
Stock compression on a 351 with 60cc heads is 8.7:1. Something to consider, they come with cast pistons, (most 302s have forged, some have hypereutectic) so if I were you I would go with a forged piston. The rest of the rotating assembly is solid, and the pistons will be fine at the power level you want, but for longevity and peace of mind it's something to consider. To have a shortblock rebuilt with just a set if pistons shouldn't cost any more then about 1200. Labor on a stock rebuild should be in the $800 range.

spady

I found a compleately rebuild/machines 351w long block from a engine remanufacture plave close to me for 1000. I was thinking about buying that and selling the heads off it (their fully rebuild) and butinf the forged pistons with that

Blown347

Staff member
That would be a good idea provided its in good shape and was put together properly. Definitely worth checking into I'd say

spady

I trust that its properly done becouse it looks like the shop does alot of work and knows what their doing! I wouldnt trust one put together by someone in their gurage... But this is a full machine/remanufactioring shop. And i think ill go take a look at it after work and let you guys know

spady

Heyi found a short block, 351w, fully machines and assembled, it has keith black pistons, with valve reliefs, stock rods with arp rod bolts, and machines and fittwd crank, fully balanced,hes asking 1600, should i do it?

Blown347

Staff member
Heyi found a short block, 351w, fully machines and assembled, it has keith black pistons, with valve reliefs, stock rods with arp rod bolts, and machines and fittwd crank, fully balanced,hes asking 1600, should i do it?

That's not a terrible deal, there are definitely better deals out there I'm sure. If its brand new I'd say jump on it and try to talk him down a couple hundred. If its used, then i wouldn't pay more then half that.

spady

Its brand new from the machine/engine shop, new pistons, rods, bearings, everything. It has a balancer and a flexplate(is it okk to just swap a flywheel with the same weight?).

Blown347

Staff member
Its brand new from the machine/engine shop, new pistons, rods, bearings, everything. It has a balancer and a flexplate(is it okk to just swap a flywheel with the same weight?).

Yes it is but if the entire assembly was balanced together (balancer, crank and flexplate) then that flexplate should be the one you use. We're talking about milligrams difference but that is better. Most small machine shops don't do complete balance jobs though so something to look into. If you see small weld spots on the crank weights that's a sign that it was balanced.