• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1987 T-Top LX Coupe

87_notchfox has a UPR k member used in his 4V modular swap if I remember right. Not sure how long its been in and how much street time but maybe PM him and see. Only bad things from UPR products is the rear control arms. Higher torque and power cars have broken the rear arms. Haven't heard bad on the k members but who knows??? I can say the QA1 on my Calypso notch has been daily driven on for 2 years without issue, and the Kenny Brown unit was on another car of mine before for almost 6 years of street duty. My best friend has an old ass D&D on his car thats been there for over a decade. He has gone to the UPR coilover sleeves with the locking set screw due to his D&D sleeves wanting to loosen up all the time.

87_notchfox

just another notch among the rest lol...
i have mine in for a year now and no issues...it rides smooth...plus its way cheaper then the MM one lol

So I have had a little suspension part under wraps. It is a rear watts link setup. Basically does the same as a panhard bar. Looks pretty insense under the car. Also got a set of Hotchkis CC plates so now I can mount up the coilovers and k member. Lastly, GT front swaybar.

newsuspensionpartsfoxcars004.jpg

newsuspensionpartsfoxcars005.jpg

evowattslink.jpg

So finally have a weekend off and not doing repairs to the daily driver. Got some time to work on Tina today. Got the entire underside of her cleaned and degreased. Bought some undercoating and now coating everything getting rid of all the blue paint on the bottom side. Enjoy the pics:

ttopundercoating002.jpg

ttopundercoating001.jpg

ttopundercoating003.jpg

ttopundercoating004.jpg

Come to find out with a 12 inch spring and KYB struts, they won't connect to any after market caster camber plate :mad: FML I just need this thing to roll, good thing I kept the stock strut mounts/plates. Rigged for now till I can get my Tokicos for her.

Looking good. Why is that? Is it because the springs are too short with the 12" coils, or do they just not bolt up to any of the A/M Plates?

KYB struts are short like stock struts I need a 10 inch spring or I know for a fact the Tokico blue struts will work. With the shorter strut, there isn't enough of the shank sticking out to be able to slide throught the C/C plate and attatch the nut

Interesting that there taller. I didn't know the 12" coil was too tall for the stock or KYB struts to go through the A/M plates. I was actually looking at the 12s for mine. It helps to know that. Thanks.

Me either until today hahaha. I have Strange 10 ways on Calypso. Same legnth as stock and those coilovers are 10 inch. But 100% sure the 12 inch springs work with Tokico blues since I used to own the 12 inch springs before. They used to be on my old GT hatch and were setup with Tokico blues.

Yeah I wouldn't have thought there would be a difference either, I have learned the hard way many times on swapping aftermaket parts in the (what works or not ) arena. as I'm sure most have. I was leaning on getting Bilsteins for mine with M/M susp. Thanks again for the tip.

Great thanks, I'll do some double checking before going ahead with the set up. Good to know you saved your stock plates and mounts so you can get your car rolling again.
Another thing. We had put the Strange adjustables on all four corners of the 86 g.t. a little while back. We really like them. I really don't see them much anymore at least in the catalogs.
I also did the 87-up spindle swap to the larger brakes at the time to be able to get a better choice of front struts that would fit the 86 when I was shopping for them. I wouldn't mind gettting another set.

Great thanks, I'll do some double checking before going ahead with the set up. Good to know you saved your stock plates and mounts so you can get your car rolling again.
Another thing. We had put the Strange adjustables on all four corners of the 86 g.t. a little while back. We really like them. I really don't see them much anymore at least in the catalogs.
I also did the 87-up spindle swap to the larger brakes at the time to be able to get a better choice of front struts that would fit the 86 when I was shopping for them. I wouldn't mind gettting another set.

Here's the links for Summit Racing they have the Strange 10 ways

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/str-s6001em/overview/year/1991/make/ford/model/mustang

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/str-s6000em/overview/year/1991/make/ford/model/mustang

And on my '86 I have the '87-'up brakes. Drilled rotors, Hawk HPS pads, and Russell stainless braided lines, Koni orange struts

Front coilovers are temporarily in, rear shocks in, and lastly a pic showing my issue with the 12 inch coilover springs. With the coilovers in the lowest position I still cannot bolt the strut up to the Hotchkis plates. This will fit with some Tokico blue struts so once I can pickup a pair Ill be golden

ttopsuspension1001.jpg

ttopsuspension1002.jpg

ttopsuspension1003.jpg