• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1987 T-Top LX Coupe

No real updates as far as labor, I did score some control arms for the rear but have decided to use on the '86. Putting the car on hold for a moment since I just purchased a TKO 600 trans for Calypso and am swapping the 3550 into the 4 eye. Have to sell a few goodies and hold off on others so I can fund the trans. However I did score a mint set of LX lenses, rear LX bumper and reinforcement off my last parts car. No pics yet :(

Been toying with the new DD, but have been messing with this one too. Got final mount and fit of rear bumper setup and front clip(still off alignment tho). Decided to install my tubular k member to only find frame rails off by amost an inch further back. Looks like I have a bit more straightening to do other than the lower core. Remeber from early pics the core is all bent to shit. Sometime in life the car caught some good airtime. Slammed down damaging core, rariator, trans pan and exhaust. Thinking back to the original k member it was damaged a bit too. So plans for now are to just bolt it up enough to roll and it goes on the back burner for a bit. Frame work and core work estimated a bit over 1k so gonna take some time to get that coin.

On a better note, scored some decent black front seats for the car eventually. Also an old school set of Global West C/C plates. At the end of the month the 86 is coming apart and the roller is being sold to Bluez87. In partial trade, I will be getting full Koni shocks and struts all around, 4 lig Baer brake kit, and X3Z Cobra ecm and maf for the t top.

1badfox

If you wouldn't mind, could you snap a pic of the t top structure under the roof? I'm getting ready to do a t top conversion on my 91 coupe but I'm collecting a few reference photos from hatches and coupes. A factory t top coupe is a very rare find! I'm definitely jealous! Looking forward to progress.

If you wouldn't mind, could you snap a pic of the t top structure under the roof? I'm getting ready to do a t top conversion on my 91 coupe but I'm collecting a few reference photos from hatches and coupes. A factory t top coupe is a very rare find! I'm definitely jealous! Looking forward to progress.

That will be a sweet conversion. I will try and shoot pics later today. I can tell you my structure is a bit different than the hatch one on my buddies '87 GT but its similar. I also have reinforcements in the pillars by door hinges on both sides, which my buddies hatch does not have either. Ill get pics of both for ya.

1badfox

That will be a sweet conversion. I will try and shoot pics later today. I can tell you my structure is a bit different than the hatch one on my buddies '87 GT but its similar. I also have reinforcements in the pillars by door hinges on both sides, which my buddies hatch does not have either. Ill get pics of both for ya.
Awesome man I really appreciate it. I currently collecting the parts for the conversion. Ill be using the t top structure out of a hatch to do my coupe conversion. From what I understand the structure in a hatch is shorter then the coupe so ill have to do a little fabrication. Your pics will confirm this theory for me. Thanks alot man

Awesome man I really appreciate it. I currently collecting the parts for the conversion. Ill be using the t top structure out of a hatch to do my coupe conversion. From what I understand the structure in a hatch is shorter then the coupe so ill have to do a little fabrication. Your pics will confirm this theory for me. Thanks alot man

Heres some pics, sorry the car is piled with parts inside and out right now hope these help somewhat.

Pillar on both sides has this extra plate riveted to body where the outer moulding screws down to.

Looks like it even goes behind the door inge as well

roof structure

Left side roof structure

Passenger side roof structure

Also recently attempted k member install on the car. Sometime in its life, the car caught major airtime and has prvious impact damage from said 'flight' Well the frame rails seem to be bent, not allowing the k member to bolt in properly and or sit flush. So I temporarily mounted the k member to be able to roll the car around, however it sits in the far coner of the garage for awhile till I can get the funds to send it out for frame straightening and core support repair.

Front bolt goes in, rear only halfway cuz the k member hits the downslope of framerail

Rear lower bolts are nowhere near being close to bolt up

Sitting off to the side for awhile, acting as storage bin/shelf

1badfox

Strap the front frame rails to the ground and jack up under the rear k member mount areas.(without the k member in place) it's no different then what they would do in a chassis alignment shop. Measure, measure, measure.

OR

sell the roller to me. :)

I have a great frame shop in the area thats gonna tackle the job, no way is this car ever going anywhere lol. Chased this car even before I had my Calypso Coupe. Took me 4 years to finally get it :)