• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Suspension Question

Gutm

I think the problem is the 2” drop. If you move the spindle up, the rotor gets closer to the control arm
Hmmm, another good point. I wonder if, on a stock spindle, the end of the control arm would ride in the recessed area near the center of the hub. I’ll have to go out today and take some measurements.

Gutm

I can go online to Late Model Restoration and buy a set of LCA’s for a ‘79-‘93 Fox Body. It’s the same part for all years. That tells me that the LCA’s are all the same, the difference in the ‘79-‘86 and the ‘87-‘93 is the spindle. Is that correct or logical? I hate dwelling but I’m trying to get a better understanding of what’s going on.

347HO

I would think your parts won't work with a OE 5 lug spindle.
Unless you intend to buy the spindle, then remove the best part, and replace with wilwood part that doent fit, in which case you will have accomplished nothing?

347HO

In the end, the wilwood tech you speak to must understand you need less offset from your hub face.

For example
If you now have 1.250" of total offset
You will need 1.00" of total offset to get clearance between the rotor and the ball joint housing.

I don't know how much interference you really have, I'm just using these numbers for example.

Pocket Rocket

Moving the rotor will also require moving the caliper, which will also likely require a wheel with a larger “x” dimension (distance from the back of the spoke to the hub face

Gutm

I had a long talk with James at AJE today about my issue. It seems there’s original and updated versions of both the AJE drop spindles and the Wilwood brake kit. I have the original version of the drop spindles and the updated version of the brake kit. As I found out the two don’t play well together. AJE is going to see what they can do about letting me trade/upgrade to the updated drop spindle. James was very knowledgeable, seemed like a real nice guy. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Gutm

Oh, by the way…the Summit website lists all the parts I have as being compatible with each other. I emailed their tech support - they said there might be some fitment issues and the best thing to do is to call both AJE and Wilwood to confirm compatibility.