• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Suspension Question

Gutm

I have a 1986 LX that came stock with a 2.3L. I’m want to upgrade the wheels to 5 lug. I have a Wilwood brake kit along with a set of AJE drop spindles. The brake kit fits on the drop spindles just fine but the end of the stock lower control arms contact the rotors. I have a set of AJE lower control arms that contact the rotors also. Will 1987 lower control arms work? Is there a difference is spacing from ball joint to the end of the control arm between 1986 LCA and the 1987-1993 LCA?

347HO

Off the cuff... Sounds like you have the incorrect disc spacing.
Suggest you contact Wildwood and confirm you have the correct parts.

I don't have your issue with my Wildwood setup, but I have 13" brakes... You didn't specify what you have.

Good luck

Gutm

I‘m using the Wilwood Forged Dynalite Pro kit 140-11018, 11” rotors with the AJE drop spindles. I called Wilwood, told them what I was using, they said it should work. I called AJE, they said it will work. Any idea if the ball joint to end of the LCA distance is different (shorter) on the 1987-1993 models?

347HO

Lemme look at some of my old pictures to help me remember what is going on down there at the ball joint.

In the meantime, can you post your pictures with this interference?

Gutm

I hope these are clear enough to see. I cycled the suspension through its travel - it didn’t seem to make a difference other than where on the LCA the contact occurred.

Attachments

• IMG_3507.jpeg
    IMG_3507.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3506.jpeg
    IMG_3506.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14

347HO

Yah... Definitely the wrong disc.
Did you get the disc with an offset or does yoyr disc need a hat?

347HO

I'm using 1996 struts with my fabricated control arms, but the dimensions are factory "centers"... I didn't change anything there.
I cjose the 96' struts to give me more negative camber.

Attachments

• IMGP2516.JPG
    IMGP2516.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 4

Gutm

Yah... Definitely the wrong disc.
Did you get the disc with an offset or does yoyr disc need a hat?
You got me by the short and curlies on that one…. I’m fairly new at this!
Does this help? If so what should I have been looking for? Would getting rid of the drop spindles and getting a set of ‘87-‘93 V8 spindles work? I believe the brake kit said it will work with ‘87 -93’ V8 foxbody spindles AND aftermarket spindles. That’s why I went with the AJE 2” Drop spindles.

Attachments

• IMG_4763.png
    IMG_4763.png
    420.5 KB · Views: 6

Gutm

I’ve been trying to research geometry wise what’s going on but I can’t find much information.

347HO

That diagram is horrible.
I want to believe your disc is mounted to the outside of your spindle, and not as depicted in that diagram?

Gutm

Yes it is. The diagram is drawn as if you’re laying on your back looking up at the spindle/rotor combination. The front of the car would be on the bottom of the diagram. Does that make sense? It is kinda confusing. The tie rod attaches to the round thing on the bottom left just above where it says “rotor thickness”.

347HO

Okay, I did some research and think I found your setup.
I assume you bought the Wildwood 5 lug conversion.
So, I assume you don't have factory mustang spindle hubs.

Knowing this, I still believe you have the wrong offset disc or hub adapter. You need about .250" more offset in order to clear the control arm ball joint flange.

In the future, I suggest you swap your struts with foxbody struts to convert to 5 lug. This makes evereverything less expensive to upgrade.

347HO

I think this is what you have

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231028-205030.png
    Screenshot_20231028-205030.png
    759.1 KB · Views: 1

347HO

This is what I thought you had

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231028-205528.png
    Screenshot_20231028-205528.png
    659.3 KB · Views: 0

347HO

Pretty confident if you send your picture to Wildwood, they will send you a different adapter or disc to clear your ball joint.

Gutm

One last question - would an ‘87-‘93 spindle work? Any idea, other than inner bearing and strut mounting bracket, if there’s any other differences between the ‘86 and ‘87-‘93 spindles?