• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My first fox!

junkyard fox

Hey everyone! I'm new to fox mustangs. I have owned a 2003 Mach 1 and 2008 GT. I picked up a 92 LX that I
am trying to build and thought I might find some good advice on this site.

83stang

Junkyard fox- welcome , we seam to have a few mechanics in here so ask away if I can't answer I'm sure another person can.

junkyard fox

That's good to know! I'm trying to turn this into a 9 sec. drag car. I know that's a tall order but that's the goal. I'll need all the help I can get. Thanks!

junkyard fox

It'll drive on the street but not as a daily driver or anything. The goal for the engine so far is to take a 351 and stroke it to 393 but keep compression around 9:1 and add turbos! Still trying to figure the trans out though!

83stang

It'll drive on the street but not as a daily driver or anything. The goal for the engine so far is to take a 351 and stroke it to 393 but keep compression around 9:1 and add turbos! Still trying to figure
the trans out though!
You would be fine @ 10:1 I'm running 11:1 but anything more and it's just not road friendly . Super only. But next summer it's getting a upgrade on the computor and a Turbo. And I'm done iv done a lot of work and will be Lucky to see 380-400 to the rear..... But dam this things fast! I have a small income if I had to pay some one to do all the work well it would still be a 4 cyl lol.- blown347 seams to be very good at pinpointing small things. And pretty dang smart on building up a good motor as a few others are in here. BTW I think I'd run a 10:1 compression with turbos what do you say Blown347? I think you have a bit more knowledge in this.

83stang

BTW you might look at dropping in a C4 tranny- depending on the HP the T5 even with G-force gears not sure how long it would hold up- may be a
T56 beefed up if your on a budget.

junkyard fox

I'm not going to lie. I'm on a small budget myself so this is going to take some time and a lot of my own elbow grease. The good thing is I work at a ford dealer so I can use the lifts. I had thought of a C4 or a lentech aod or power glide. It seems like most guys like the C4. Still have a ways to go before I get to the drivetrain. My picture makes the car look better than it really is. The guy I bought it from let it sit for a long time so everything went bad. Trying to get the rollcage and minitubs installed and then maybe work on the engine bay.

junkyard fox

I'm not going to lie. I'm on a small budget myself so this is going to take some time and a lot of my own elbow grease. The good thing is I work at a ford dealer so I can use the lifts. I had thought of a C4 or a lentech aod or power glide. It seems like most guys like the C4. Still have a ways to go before I get to the drivetrain. My picture makes the car look better than it really is. The guy I bought it from let it sit for a long time so everything went bad. Trying to get the rollcage and minitubs installed and then maybe work on the engine bay. How fast do you guys run with your rides?

Blown347

Staff member
If your going to boost it you should stay between 8-9.5:1. Pushing it more then that you risk detonation especially in a street motor on pump gas. Ask me how I know lol.

If you wan to keep the t-5 I'd recommend the astro performance A-5 gearset. It's absolutely bulletproof. A t-56 is a good option as well.

If its street driven at all I would advise against a powerglide, although that is by far the strongest automatic trans you could use. A c4 will do fine and even an AOD will hold the power you want properly built, and that'll give you an OD gear for highway use.

Blown347

Staff member
Something to keep in mind with boost is not just compression but the extreme cylinder temps the motor experiences. So upping compression will just cause problems that you don't want. And at around a 4% power increase per 1 full compression number, it's just not worth melting stuff for an extra 20 hp. Running something on the track only you can make it last with a higher compression with boost and a high octane fuel, but that is simply because the cylinders aren't under stress and heat for the time they are on the street