• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Headlight Assembly

John2002

Like I said, mine was hit in the right fender, the head light on the right was hard to get to point forward. The left didn't give me any problem. I was able to get all the adjustment screws to work after a lot of WD 40 and lithium grease, but the new bulbs did the trick...Man was I driving in a fog with the hazed lens and the two silvered over bulbs.... My new head light sit back a bit from the markers and the turns but getting a oem set was not going to happen....I used the lower door panel of my garage, the crease line between that and the panel above it worked out for me. I don't think aftermarket lights have the same spec's as oem caust the head light is in a lot of different Ford cars. One size fits all but not perfect...

Attachments

• J2560x1920-01722.jpg
    J2560x1920-01722.jpg
    708.1 KB · Views: 5
  • J2560x1920-05763.jpg
    J2560x1920-05763.jpg
    860.8 KB · Views: 5

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Like I said, mine was hit in the right fender, the head light on the right was hard to get to point forward. The left didn't give me any problem. I was able to get all the adjustment screws to work after a lot of WD 40 and lithium grease, but the new bulbs did the trick...Man was I driving in a fog with the hazed lens and the two silvered over bulbs.... My new head light sit back a bit from the markers and the turns but getting a oem set was not going to happen....I used the lower door panel of my garage, the crease line between that and the panel above it worked out for me. I don't think aftermarket lights have the same spec's as oem caust the head light is in a lot of different Ford cars. One size fits all but not perfect...

I'm gonna have to disagree with that..... I bought the 6 pcs aftermarket headlight that fit the 1987-1993 Mustang in 2002 and I used the same factory bulb and the same method to adjust my aftermarket headlights as I posted above (without the diagram ) to adjust the headlights.
Not saying that all aftermarket headlights are the same with fit and quality..

Not arguing but the fit of my 6 piece aftermarket headlight I have is just as good as the OEM in my opinion as you can see for yourself in the picture below.
Quality? they're just as clear as they were 13 years ago IMO.
This picture was taken 2 years.
IMG_4187.JPG

Last edited:

John2002

When I got my new set about 5 years ago (with the extra light in the head light) I was looking to save money, but when I got the right side old ones out I found that I needed to replace the right alignment brackets aswell I knew I was going to have to spend more $$$$. It was a late winter project and not on my need to do right now list. When I did finnally have time in late April early May to put them in I just used my eye to mount the head lights flush with the corners and turns but when I turned them on....Marty Feldman came to mind... I think the set of 6 cost me $169.00, a shop by my houes was selling just 2 oem head lights for $200 and they had only one the right marked light for $90... Having to buy the correct right turn signal socket, new head light bulbs, turn signal bulbs, marker bulbs., alignment brackets and I think I aslo got the new gaskets it ended up still costing me less them those used oem lamps from the shop...It was one of those projects that I hope I never have to do again.... put together with glue from an accident with previous owner, trying to get 25 year old bolts and alignment screws to turn and needing a broken in half hack saw blade to get the turn signal socket bolt out of the front right lamp assembly was not what the way I though it would have to be done....I guess it comes down to those written reply we see on web site, I always get that "yeah right" reaction when every reply is "Yes' I would recommend this' on something that was easy...but and this is on just about everything I know isn't an everyday thing like aftermarket head lights with so many types out there...I always see. "Would you like to be the first to write a reply" meaning the bad replies out weighed the good replies so they never posted any replies for fear thier product won't sell or no one else gets themselves into trouble with simple projects going wrong in a hurry like I do... This is the only front end picture I have of the car before the new lights went on, from the get go they seemed to be for two different cars. ...so I had to get new ones...never had the lights on...never drove it at night yet...but I needed new ones....

Attachments

• J2560x1920-01703.jpg
    J2560x1920-01703.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
^^^^^ That does sound like it would be a PITA to have to go through all that no doubt!
In my case I was replacing the front bumper cover and thought it would be the perfect time to go with different lights so I pulled the old bumper cover and headlight reinforcement/ header panel unit out in one piece and ordered the Stalker bumper cover.
I found out later that with the Cervini Stalker bumper cover you didn’t need the headlight reinforcement/header panel http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-8284A/1987-93-Mustang-Header-Panel so I decided to check the fitment of the Cervini Stalker bumper cover (before I sent the car out for paint) and see if the headlight, turn signal light and side marker light were going to fit perfectly because of all of those on different Mustang sites who ranted about what a great product Cervini’s makes……. and of course they didn’t fit …. I had to elongated a few holes on both sides to make things fit, which I believe is exactly what you’re saying about a product always seeming to have those positive comments you read on the products website.
I could go on about Cervini’s and how everyone rants about what a great product they have but I’ll leave that along for another day.
My $.02 and nothing more is that 50 % of the people who reply to a thread and tell you how great a product is replying because it’s what they’ve read and have no actual experience with that product.

John2002

I got an e-mail from LMR about the distributor I got last month all ready, its still in the box and as soon as I get it in I'll comment about it, but it did get here real quick I replied to them...No commment from me about that on the customer views...I think the fitment of my lights was do to a different front bumper cover to. There are some spots on it that show yellow under the paint and primer like it was replaced when it got hit.