• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Headlight Assembly

Jichan

I have a '91 2.3L in dire need of new headlights. Any input where online I can purchase the whole kit 'an caboodle (headlights, park lights, corner lights)? Thanks in advance!

John2002

Yep, Late model is where I found mine (OEM look with an extra light)...The fit was spot on but I had lots of trouble getting the old ones off. PBPblast any bolt you can see a day before attempting to loosen them, I had to cut away part of the passenger side housing around the turn signal socket to get that out. I had to get new turn signal socket and headlight adjusting plate bracket too. Mine seemed to have been involved a right front fender bender before I got it. The socket that held the turn signal bulb was glued in place. Get a set of new light bulbs too, made a ton of difference with my car....

Good luck...

Last edited:

broncojunkie

Agreed on the screws that mount the housings. Mine were a pain to get out. A couple of them stripped out and wouldn't back out of the threads. Hard to get to most of them, too. Just soak them down a day or two in advance. I think if I had done that, it would have taken me half the time to replace them.

John2002

I was set to start my interior take out today but that was halted with the cold I caught Tuesday...Its about 28 degrees here and being outside for a few hours dripping snot all over the place didn't seem like a good idea..

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
I was set to start my interior take out today but that was halted with the cold I caught Tuesday...Its about 28 degrees here and being outside for a few hours dripping snot all over the place didn't seem like a good idea..
That doesn't sound like any fun that's for sure.

It was 61 degrees here today.. Burrrr ;)

John2002

With any luck its going up to 45 by Monday, might get a chance to wash the wifes car before Christmas....I have to.....I washed my car Monday after work and she noticed!!!!

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
I'm washing my Truck and the wife's SUV tomorrow since it's been rain off and on the past couple of weeks and they're saying it'll be 64 degrees tomorrow and 69 degrees by Tuesday.

John2002

Lots of street and sewer construction going on around work, there are two quarrys I drive past and the streets in and out of both of them look more like mud trails. I've been zig-zagging on my way home just to avoid them but what the birds left on my back window and trunk lid was the strarw that made me drag out the hose and buckets...The news said light rain all day Wednesday changing to a heavy wet snow into Thursday...I usually wash the cars in the garage but I have the Mustang up on jack stands till about April.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas....
Next...2015...aren't we supposd to have flying cars by now????

Last edited:

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
My truck was just road film from driving on the freeway the wife SUV was a different ball game.
She has to drive 2 mile on a 2 lane road before she gets to her work where the big rigs trucks carrying produce pull out with mud between the duels and the farm workers who leave the fields with mud on there tires , so between that and the rain it looks like she takes her SUV 4 Wheeling almost everyday.

John2002

The weather guys called this one right, 40 degress this morning and rain....all day....its warmer now then it been all day.... My wife gets the inside of the car dirtier then the outside...when I ask her how that happens.....I get the "I don't know, it musta been when I spilled.....never mind...We just got a note from our gas company about their year long plan to replace the meters and supply lines from the street to our house...in the whole neighborhood...all 1155 homes on their plan....we just ended a sewer project connecting some of our north-south streets to the Deep Tunnel Project the city of Chicago statred in 1975 to help control flooding...What a dusty 2014 that was. I guess with NiCors project 2015 is going to be just a filthy....

John2002

My parents live in Chicago, Peoples Gas did that to them about 2 years ago, along with Midway Airport having their noise abatement program going on...With in about 3 months from start to finish they had new gas supply lines down the entire street, service line to the new meter outside the house. They tore out about 3 foot wide by 20 foot long trench from about a foot off the curb. The trench was almost 4 feet deep. All PVC pipe...
They wond up having to call the city back to fix a sunken part of their front yard . The crew removed a tree in front of my parents house but didn't remove the stump low enough or the roots that grew along the ground. After a few months the ground and sod they planted washed away. I'm sure thats what NiCor is going to with us, I had one tree removed from the front of our house and replanted sod myself. I just hope they dont have to cut up my driveway...that would suck big time...The gas line comes into the house about 9 inches off the west side (front) of our basement and the driveway runs along the south (side) of our house.... all 125 feet...

Jichan

Guys,
While removing the headlight assembly, there was a lot of dried grease and sludge on the electrical connector/socket from the parking/turn signal bulb. Best way to clean or remove that gunk? Any type of chemical cleansers that won't damage the wiring?

John2002

Thats what cause most problems in the switches, its dried die electric grease... its almost plastic by now but it takes a few times with a very thin hobby knike to get it out. You might be safer getting a new switch??? No telling if the socket has melted near the ends of those pronges...check them out on-line, these are from LateModelRestoration.com $25.00 for the LX $29.00 for the GT. Not sure if the local parts stores still have them on there shelves anymore

Attachments

• lrs-11654a_3081.jpg
    lrs-11654a_3081.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 3
  • lrs-11654a_1668.jpg
    lrs-11654a_1668.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Jichan

John2002,
I got most of the gunk and dried grease out per your suggestion--thanks for your advice. BTW, are the new headlights supposed to be completely flush with the corner lights? My headlights (right & left) seem to protrude out about a quarter/half-inch from both corner lights . . .

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
John2002,
I got most of the gunk and dried grease out per your suggestion--thanks for your advice. BTW, are the new headlights supposed to be completely flush with the corner lights? My headlights (right & left) seem to protrude out about a quarter/half-inch from both corner lights . . .
They should be flush with your corner light ... try making them flush and then adjusting them .

Adjusting your headlights:
The adjustment screws are upper inside and lower outside screws. If the headlights were re-assembled properly, they will have a 5/32" hex on the screw. You can use a 1/4" ratchet with a 5/32" socket. The upper screws can be reached with the hood up, while the lower screws may require you to lie on the ground in front of the car and reach them from the bottom. To align the headlights, find a level spot with a wall 25-30 feet away.
Disconnect the driver light or cover the headlight so that no light beams shows on the wall and align up the passenger light so that the light pattern is slightly below of the actual centerline of the headlight. This is to illuminate the right hand side of the road.
Reconnect the driver light or uncover and disconnect the passenger light or cover the headlight so that no light beams shows on the wall
The driver light should be aimed so that the light pattern on the wall is inward about 6" and slightly below the centerline of the headlight. This keeps you from blinding the oncoming cars.
OR putting something like a fender cover over the headlight that isn't being aligned makes adjusting the headlight you’re working on a lot easier to adjust.
Reproduction headlights may shine in several directions at the same time, making it very difficult to align them if both lights are on at the same time.

The diagram below is from my 2006 Ford F-150 pickup but gives you a good idea of what I’ve tried to explain.

Head Light Adj 5 32 Socket.JPG

Jichan

Almost Stock,
Your diagram and narrative really explains the "how to" re: the adjustment of the headlights. What you said is far better and more detailed than the videos that some of the aftermarket sites offer. Good job! I'll make the necessary changes soon . . .