• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Coolant overflow tank / resovoir?

89stang1

you lost me there, if you leave the valve open and on the bottom, wouldnt any coolsnt run right out?

no its no different then the recirculating can that has an open valve on each end, besides the bottom of my catch can is lower than rad overflow port under rad cap. You need and open line at both sides from bottom of can to overflow line by rad cap so after you shut car off the coolant cools down and gets drawn from catch can back up line then into rad, my concern was would it work with mine being a non recirculating can but switching the lines then leaving bottom valve open worked great.

madspeed

i have that sam can i ordered from jegs. when i install it, do i want the valve at the top and left open or valve at bottom open with line from radiator coming into it there?

89stang1

i have that sam can i ordered from jegs. when i install it, do i want the valve at the top and left open or valve at bottom open with line from radiator coming into it there?

looking at this pic
sum-g1472_w.jpg
the adj valve on right hand side will be on bottom. The line from rad will go to bottom leave valve in open position and run a line down to bottom of fender from top of can. I filled rad all the way with coolant then i put a couple onces into bottle so far everytime i check coolant level in the morning rad is filled to top, it works great ive had it this way for over a year. Before i swapped the lines my can was just a catch can it didnt recover coolant to rad it was a pita i would always have to add coolant to rad and the can would need emptying coolant was going in and not going back to rad, the biggest pita was i pushed the probe for my controller only a couple inches down from top of rad then the coolant level would go below probe and give me unreliable temp readings. Dont know why anyone would want a non recirculating can on the street i can see if it was a track car only.

madspeed

Its all good! Of course I have't run the car since we have too much snow here! Funny, just noticed your sig, 89 GT w 333, me too!

madspeed

I swapped the lines around like you and added one to the top port running down inside the fender for draining. Thanks for the help!

89stang1

I swapped the lines around like you and added one to the top port running down inside the fender for draining. Thanks for the help!

glad i could help! i was running can just as overflow for a little while really sucked cause i would have to add coolant and even had to drain can a couple times when it filled, much easier when it recirculates no adding or draining. yup we are both 333 which are 331 that are 40 over instead of 30

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
still don't know were to place mine.. On the left side fender the windshield water reservoir is in there, not much room...

madspeed

overflow hose comes from radiator into the bottom of the overflow tan with the petcock left in the open position. Hose coming out the top of the overflow tank runs down along the tank inside the inner fender. You can see the end sticking out a bit beside the fender. Its run a little nicer now. In this pic I just had it tucked out of the way, as i was running some other lines under that fender.