• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wiper compartment flooding

Kevin88GTBurch

Here is an odd one. My GT was sitting out and I decided to bring it under the carport for a good wash. It was pretty leaf covered, so I did something I wanted to do for a while; that is, remove the grille over the windshield wiper compartment and give it and the compartment a thorough cleaning.

I was surprised that WAY back under on the drivers side, toward the fender, a virtual pool of water had collected. I soaked some of it out with a towel, and planning to suck the rest out with my wet/dry vacuum. This concerns me as this compartment is metal and I dread the thought of rust starting there.

Is anyone familiar with how this is supposed to drain? Is there a drain hose that gets plugged? Access perhaps from underneath the car?

It worries me as it collected a surprising bit of water just from a wash, no rain.

broncojunkie

I've never really got that far into it, but I've had it clog up with leaves and crud before. This is mostly on old project cars I've picked up or had sitting around outside for a while.

Removing the cowl grill and blasting it with a pressure washer (or even a regular garden hose) has always done the trick for me. You can also remove the hood hinges and get some crud out through there.

tycosp23

If I Remember correctly there should be drains on both sides that send water down by the fenders its been a while but I know its something around that area. Regardless where the drain is is clogged and if you don't get it cleared up it will rot that entire area out.

Kevin88GTBurch

If I Remember correctly there should be drains on both sides that send water down by the fenders its been a while but I know its something around that area. Regardless where the drain is is clogged and if you don't get it cleared up it will rot that entire area out.
Yes, I think I will get under the car and explore.

Happily, a few minutes after I wrote that most of the water had disappeared. So I think I have a slow drain!!!