• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wheel and tire size questions

badassmullett

Hi Guys I have an 1988 GT. Car has been lowered (I purchased like this). It measures 6 inches off the ground. Tire size is 215/55/16. It looks nice, but scrapes everywhere if
I'm not careful. Just wondering whats the best size of Tire to either Raise on existing wheels., Or Raise with Bigger wheels and Tires.

Can you post a picture of how low the car sits (side view)? Do you know what springs are on the car? Generally, in addition to making them scrape, lowering these cars too much will make them handle worse. There are lots of variables that come into play when you change your overall tire diameter. In my opinion, I don't think solving the issue with tires is the best solution. Is this a street car, or do you plan on using it for performance driving?

badassmullett

I'll add a better picture tomorrow. Not sure what kind of springs are in it, but person who sold me car through in original springs. Thinking about just putting stock back on. I like the way it looks. I just don't like going over speed bumps. This is a street car of course.

From a handling perspective, that's lower than I would recommend. There's not a lot of suspension travel left. I've always been a big fan of the Ford Racing C springs. For a street car, you might want to try the Ford Racing B springs (progressive rate). I also recommend Steeda spring spacers up front. If you check out my Fox Body Autocross Project thread on this forum, you can see how my Fox sits with C springs and spring spacers. There are several videos, the suspension mods are in Part 3. You can also see how the car sits in Part 6.

Last edited: