• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

what is a drop in replacement for a T5

90stanger

have a 90 Mustang GT with T5 trans, need something stronger , is there any 5 speed trans that is a replacement for the T5 that's a drop in replacement, if not what is required to go to another type 5 speed trans, I want something that is pretty durable and can hold 400 hp and 375 torque and be able to powershift without blowing it up

90stanger

What all parts would be needed to install this in place of my T5, Looking at going with the tko 600 series Tremec 3550

347HO

3550 and tko600 are a bit different with the case appearance and internals as well as cost.
My tko600 also has 2 shifter locations.

The 3550 is "drop in", however I suggest an aftermarket bell with front and rear driveshaft hoops.

You must insure the input shaft dimensions are correct for your installation with any aftermarket transmission.

I suggest you research your options at any of the tremec dealers so you kniw what you're getting.

Good luck

broncojunkie

G-Force and Astro both produce stronger gear sets and shafts for the T5. Also, G-force makes an aftermarket case. Everything is direct swap.

You might give Paul Cangialosi a yell at 5speeds.com or contact Hanlon Motorsports. I believe Summit and/or Jegs sells the G-force parts, if you find someone locally to rebuild yours. Or there are some good videos out there for DIY. Iirc, the G-Force or Astro builds can reach the 6-700 lbft torque rating and still shift smoothly.

347HO

I almost suggested the astro mod but I didnt get good results IMO.

I used a astro prepped t5 in my drag set up.
Acquiring parts was a long and drawn out process.
They explode around 500lbs torque and bang shifting.
I gave up after the 2nd setup.

If parts are now available, and not using drag slicks, I encourage the above mods to your existing t5.

My tko600rr has taken severe abuse on my new 650lb tq, 650hp setup.
I like it, but it is spendy initially.
I like that I can up and down shift in the upper rpms.

broncojunkie

Did you see where Tremec has a new 5 speed out now? They're claiming smooth 7500 rpm shifts and (iirc) 600 lb ft. Pricey, just like all the others... but sounds like a nice gearbox.

I have a t5 behind my 331 with a few cheap mods and it's holding up fine. It hasn't really seen a lot of abuse yet, but I suppose it will this spring lol!

347HO

Yes Bronco, I recently received an email ad from a shop I don't remember.
I'll try to find it in my deleted file and look at the specs and cost.
It read like a good "gap" transmission from stock to tko600, vs tr3550?
If I remember correctly, my first reaction was... Hmmm, why not just get the t56 if a new driveshaft is in the budget...