• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Vehicle Dies When Braking

2.3Lvert

My car (1988 2.3L Lx convertible) has been dying after i come to a stop and/or get lower into rpms. After it stalls, it work crank over until i move the car in neutral either backwards or forwards. I also notice the fuel pump doesn't prime after it stall unless i do what i mentioned before. Just replaces the fuel filter not even 3k miles ago and spark plugs less than 200 miles ago. It does leak oil but it hasnt happened until after i had my transmission rebuilt. Its my daily and i really have no other options so i would really appreciate any help.

broncojunkie

You might take a look at the ecm. The capacitors will leak and disintegrate the legs so that it doesn't make good connection to the board. Doesn't cost anything to check. You just have to pop it open and look it over.

Unfortunately, the issue you describe can also be caused by several things. Vacuum leak, dirt/rust in tank (clogging the strainer), fuel pump getting weak. Often, you'll find it may just need a good tune-up. Have you taken a look at the plugs since you replaced them? I'm curious if they look like it's running rich.

The issue with it not turning over sounds more like a neutral safety switch.

2.3svx

May be the brake booster or booster check valve hit the breaks causing vacuum leak engine adds fuel to compensate till it floods out and dies and since your slowing down (low rpms) it then stalls in a flooded condition and becomes hard to start. Next time it does when you restart floor it while cranking.. this puts ecm in flood clear mode.. if it starts then it could be that... There are other possibilities but given the examples this seems like a good place to start!!