• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

upper and lower intake

d90gt

Anybody know if these will work together ? 1990 mustang gt 5.0
RF-XL2E-9425 (UPPER)
and
RF-F87E-9K461-BA (LOWER)
and any idea on the years and what they are from

d90gt

pics, the difference I see is the EGR?

Attachments

• lower.jpg
    lower.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 5
  • upper.jpg
    upper.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 5

d90gt

thanks I read that and another one I think the lowers correct but my upper is wrong for the lower

broncojunkie

thanks I read that and another one I think the lowers correct but my upper is wrong for the lower
I believe you're right, but I don't see why you couldn't plug the egr hole in the lower and use the 2 together. Does that look like the only difference?

d90gt

to me it does but I think the upper should be flat all the way across the ports, I picked up a stock set up for this year, just trying to get it to run right, starts , and runs good when cold but when you shut it off and come back in a half hour after driving for a half hour it floods out and will not start for at least an hour, I think the current injectors are to big think they are 24lb I have new set of stock 19lb that are going to go in, any ideas on a hard start problem after shut off when engines warm, temp gauge does not move much and being computer controlled would this add extra fuel thinking the engine is warm?

broncojunkie

I believe it is more likely to add more fuel when the engine is cold (or the ecm thinks the engine is cold). The 24 lb injectors, however, will cause it to run rich unless you have a 93 cobra ecm OR a maf that's calibrated for 24lb injectors. But in all those cases, the car should still start and run. I would start with the basics. Warm the car up and then shut it off. Try to start it. If it won't start, check for spark...then check for fuel. Easiest way to do this is to spray a little shot of ether in the intake and see if it fires. If it does, then you're getting spark, but no fuel. If it doesn't, you can suspect a no-spark issue. This test probably won't really tell you if you have a weak spark or low fuel pressure, so keep that in mind. Either way, I would suggest keeping a fuel pressure gauge around. You can buy one for about $20 or so and it's money well spent.

Some common problems that occur after the engine's warm: ignition parts breaking down under heat (tfi module, pickup coil in distributor, the ignition coil). Fuel- dirt/gunk/rust in your tank which gets sucked up into the strainer sock on the pickup tube, dirty fuel filter, weak pump

These aren't the only things that could cause your problem, but they are all common issues with these old mustangs. Engine management parts can also cause some problems. Dirty maf, dirty/faulty iac valve, dirty throttle body, bad 02 sensor, temp sensor (there are 2 of these...one for the temp gauge and the other for the ecm). There is also an intake air temp sensor, but to be honest, I think it's more for fine tuning the fuel mixture. I've never had an issue with mine and currently, it's literally just zip-tied up underneath my upper plenum. Car runs great as-is, so I don't mess with it lol! Just about every other thing I've mentioned above has broken or malfunctioned at some point in my 88gt and I've only owned it a few years.

One more issue I can point out is with the fuel pump relay. I've never had an issue with mine, but I know it's a common problem. I don't think it would be affected by the engine temp, though. Same with the ecm relay. Usually not an intermittent problem.

d90gt

THANKS!!! fun with efi, I miss my 69!!!, my guess is the previous owner installed 24lb injectors and it still has the original MAF, it does have a Holley TB, it had a BBK SSI intake thats now laying on the garage floor

broncojunkie

I honestly don't recall how that works. Seems like it would be easiest to produce them without the hole and let you drill it out if needed.

broncojunkie

looks cool!!, suppose I have to pull distributer to get the lower off? miss my 69
Last time I had the lower off was when I rebuilt the motor. So I don't really recall. We pulled my friend's loser intake off his 83 (carb) and had to pull the distributor, so I would say it's either required or it makes it a lot easier.