• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

upgrade alternator

foxycandycane

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere at some point in here but I'm new to the forum so I had 2 89 lx hatchbacks many years ago and I upgraded the alternator for the stereo systems. My memory is not what it was but I don't remember having to cut into a housing to make the new alternator fit and running new wires to a block and then to a solenoid to make it work. I just bought my wife a 91 gt covertible all stock and everyone says you have to do that now. Am I missing something is my memory that bad can someone please answer this do I have to make these modifications or can I just buy a bigger alternator and bolt on and go. Please any help is appreciated and I'm not a mechanic by any means so no negative comments please

broncojunkie

They used to (maybe still do) sell an upgraded heavy-duty alternator. It was barely an upgrade, but it did the job. That was before the 3g came out. A 3g alternator swap is easy and light years ahead of the old style. Plus, it gets rid of the flat plug that was a fire hazard. Note: some 3g swaps retain the original main power feed wires, which are the two black/orange stripe wires coming from the old alternator. If you do the swap (you should), get rid of those wires and install a heavy cable from the lug on the back of the 3g to the starter relay or battery.

87SSP

I did that newer one wire alt years ago and it charges great, made my own cable that runs from the back of the alt to the starter relay. Pretty easy to do.

Erkenbrand

I did the 3g upgrade along with the wiring adapter kit from LMR. It was straightforward, and the charging capacity has been a great help.