• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

turning signal questions

Sksimmortal

so i have an 87 gt 5 speed (dont know if it matters whether its 5 speed or auto but) i can turn my left tun signal on and it works perfect. when i turn my right turn signal on it blinks outside the car slower than the left but the green arrow indicator on the dash does not come it. once in a while the dash arrow will flash but not very often. im having the same issue with my high beams. they come on but the indicator light on the dash sometimes comes on and other times it doesnt. also it seems like half of my gauges dont want to light up. only half of my speedo (around 55) lights up and most of the tach cept for like 5-6k and the gas and oil doesnt light up. if i hit the dash fuse box sometimes all of the cluster lights up but turn signal and high beam indicators still dont work. do you think this would be a wiring issue or maybe the cluster going bad?

John2002

I had some of those issue with just about everything working slow when I was at a stop light with the head lights on and trun signals flashing... a new 90 amp alternator fixed that. I upgraded my dash from the 85 mph to the 140 mpg and replaced all 13 light bulbs while I had it out. Like yours some of mine were blown or not as bright as the others. Not sure but I've read lots of issue with worn out light switches causeing some power issue. Its not hard to remove the dash and replace the bulbs and the light switch is pretty easy to find online. Just goggle "dash removal for 88 Mustang" and you'll find lots of help. American Muscle has a 12 minute video on it. No special tools needed.. The stock alternator is barely making 75 amps at idle and if the car isn't moving your draining the battery because the alternator is not charging the battery.

Hoonigan

I had some of those issue with just about everything working slow when I was at a stop light with the head lights on and trun signals flashing... a new 90 amp alternator fixed that. I upgraded my dash from the 85 mph to the 140 mpg and replaced all 13 light bulbs while I had it out. Like yours some of mine were blown or not as bright as the others. Not sure but I've read lots of issue with worn out light switches causeing some power issue. Its not hard to remove the dash and replace the bulbs and the light switch is pretty easy to find online. Just goggle "dash removal for 88 Mustang" and you'll find lots of help. American Muscle has a 12 minute video on it. No special tools needed.. The stock alternator is barely making 75 amps at idle and if the car isn't moving your draining the battery because the alternator is not charging the battery.
First
so i have an 87 gt 5 speed (dont know if it matters whether its 5 speed or auto but) i can turn my left tun signal on and it works perfect. when i turn my right turn signal on it blinks outside the car slower than the left but the green arrow indicator on the dash does not come it. once in a while the dash arrow will flash but not very often. im having the same issue with my high beams. they come on but the indicator light on the dash sometimes comes on and other times it doesnt. also it seems like half of my gauges dont want to light up. only half of my speedo (around 55) lights up and most of the tach cept for like 5-6k and the gas and oil doesnt light up. if i hit the dash fuse box sometimes all of the cluster lights up but turn signal and high beam indicators still dont work. do you think this would be a wiring issue or maybe the cluster going bad?

Carefully remove the headlight switch and check for any corrosion, splitting, burnt, etc. wiring. Also check your fuze box. Are there any burnt fuzes? Do you have any upgrades to the car like an after market sound unit or anything that would draw more power from the stock alternator?