• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

T5 swap do i need to switch rear end gears

hunterb302

Hi I have a 91 mustang 5.0 with the AOD transmission in it thats having issues. I am really interested in t5 swapping it and I have found most the information on how to do it and what I need. But I was wondering if I would have to change the rear end gears and what I should change them to. I have a 8.8 rear end in my car with 2.73:1 gears and I'm just not sure if or what to change them to. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited:

broncojunkie

You don't have to change gears. Most of these t5 cars came with the 2.73. However, keep in mind that it's a highway gear that is meant for increasing mpg. It's great for the wallet and for keeping rpm down on longer trips, but if you want a fun weekend car, definitely change to a lower (numerically higher) rear gear. Choose the gear ratio that will most likely suit whatever you're using the car for. If you like to drive them on trips but still add some pep, a 3.55 is great. My pace car has a 3.73. It's fine for short highway trips to town, but I wouldn't want to take longer trips. Track car? Look at the 4.10.

Last edited:

hunterb302

You don't have to change gears. Most of these t5 cars came with the 2.73. However, keep in mind that it's a highway gear that is meant for increasing mpg. It's great for the wallet and for keeping rpm down on longer trips, but if you want a fun weekend car, definitely change to a lower (numerically higher) rear gear. Choose the gear ratio that will most likely suit whatever you're using the car for. If you like to drive them on trips but still add some pep, a 3.55 is great. My pace car has a 3.73. It's fine for short highway trips to town, but I wouldn't want to take longer trips. Track car? Look at the 4.10.
Ok good to know and thank you