• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Stroker T5 swap questions

521Stang

Built a all forged 11 to 1 AFR 205 headed 347 stroker with initial C4 intentions. Plans have changed and I have aquired a 99 T5 out of a v6 mustang. My question is since this is an internally balanced stroker, and I currently intend to use the 3.8 bell housing with long input shaft what are my options for flywheel specifications (ring gear count and neutral balance) / clutch kit specification (10 spline, 3.8L 11" disc or 5.0L 10.5" disc, ECT).

I am stuck with a T5 because of space restrictions in my vehicle.

Hoping someone has done this before.

521Stang

Clarification as to why I ask.

From reading numerous posts I gather the following:. If I'm messed up in my thinking please correct me.

If I use the 3.8 bell housing it requires a 164 tooth flywheel for the starter to engage the flywheel. I'm not aware of any 164 tooth flywheel which bolts up to the 5.0 that is neutral balance capable.
The 3.8 input shaft is the longer style so if I swapped out the bell housing to a Fox Body 5.0 bell housing I will have to swap out the input shaft, input shaft bearing retainer and clutch fork.

I am at the point that I am ready to purchase my clutch kit and flywheel. The input shaft bearing retainer housing is toast so I have to buy one of those anyway.

broncojunkie

I believe the 3.8 is internally balanced, but the flywheel has a different bolt pattern. The f150 was available with the correct bolt pattern and tooth count, but I'm also not aware of one that's readily available with the correct zero balance.

If you can find a flywheel with removable weights (to go from 50 to 28 oz), I'm thinking you could just leave the weights off. I have a billet flywheel made like this, but it's 157 tooth. You're other option would be to buy a 28 oz flywheel and take it to a machine shop, who may be able to rebalance it. I don't think it would be feasible to re-drill a 3.8 flywheel for the correct pattern, but you might at last look into that anyway.

521Stang

I believe the 3.8 is internally balanced, but the flywheel has a different bolt pattern. The f150 was available with the correct bolt pattern and tooth count, but I'm also not aware of one that's readily available with the correct zero balance.

If you can find a flywheel with removable weights (to go from 50 to 28 oz), I'm thinking you could just leave the weights off. I have a billet flywheel made like this, but it's 157 tooth. You're other option would be to buy a 28 oz flywheel and take it to a machine shop, who may be able to rebalance it. I don't think it would be feasible to re-drill a 3.8 flywheel for the correct pattern, but you might at last look into that anyway.
The 3.8 has a 28 ounce counter weight.

I am currently looking at a Speed Master PCE229-1034 which is 164 tooth, 23 pounds, billet, SFI Certified and for a SBF. 28 oz balance but no word on if removable. Every other flywheel I have seen by them has a removable weight.

broncojunkie

Where did you find info saying the 3.8 is 28oz? I've looked several times and everyone either says they can't find the info or that it's internally balanced. Doesn't seem like it would be the best choice here, regardless, but I'm pretty curious. You're the first person I've spoken with who said it's 28oz.

You're probably correct on the speedway billet flywheel you're looking at. Can you contact someone to verify before ordering? And if you want to go with a standard oem style, it may have weights that are welded to the edge. You could remove them and have a machine shop verify/balance if needed.

Also, I just looked on Summit's site and it looks like they have a couple options.

521Stang

Where did you find info saying the 3.8 is 28oz? I've looked several times and everyone either says they can't find the info or that it's internally balanced. Doesn't seem like it would be the best choice here, regardless, but I'm pretty curious. You're the first person I've spoken with who said it's 28oz.

You're probably correct on the speedway billet flywheel you're looking at. Can you contact someone to verify before ordering? And if you want to go with a standard oem style, it may have weights that are welded to the edge. You could remove them and have a machine shop verify/balance if needed.

Also, I just looked on Summit's site and it looks like they have a couple options.

I have always been under the impression that the 3.8 V6 was 28 oz balance. Here is a link to a replacement.

I am definitely going to verify the balance information before I order it.