• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Stalling on takeoff

Rich0123

Ok so I got my 302 back with 400 horse and dropped it in my 85. Had a problem with my new mechanical pump so I put a small Holley electric on it and eliminated that problem. Now the car will start and idle very nice at around 1000rpm. Throttle has no hesitation when idling but when I put it in gear and release the clutch to take off the car stalls. Almost as if I’m losing fuel. After stalling it is very hard to get it running again. Anyone have any wisdom to share??

Rich0123

Carbed or efi?
Regardless, my first thought is you have a vacuum leak.
I’m running a 650 qft slayer. I actually found the problem yesterday right after posting. I put a brand new tank on the car along with new braided lines. However I learned now not to trust a new tank. It must have gotten moisture in it in the warehouse or during shipping because it had rust in it and pushed it all into the bowls of my carb gumming everything up. Thanks for the reply!