• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rear end alignment

Cabe302

To all the lowered foxes out there. So what I have is a 1989 GT lowered with typical Ford racing 1” drop springs with UPR upper and lower control arms. I have energy suspension bushings for the upper bushings in the rear end housing. My rear end is shifted 1/2” to the passenger side of the car. Will adjustable uppers correct this issue

broncojunkie

It was always my understanding that adjustable uppers allow for pinion angle adjustment, while adjustable lowers allow for setting the front-to-rear position of the wheel/tire within the wheel arch/opening. One half inch isn't all that much, so I would be checking a few things out. Check for damage in the torque box areas. If that looks ok, then check for play in the axles themselves. Try turning the car around and parking in a different spot and then measure again. You'd be surprised how much the rear end can shift just from being moved. Damage from accidents, suspension wear, or even factory "allowances" can all affect the rear axle alignment.

Cabe302

It was always my understanding that adjustable uppers allow for pinion angle adjustment, while adjustable lowers allow for setting the front-to-rear position of the wheel/tire within the wheel arch/opening. One half inch isn't all that much, so I would be checking a few things out. Check for damage in the torque box areas. If that looks ok, then check for play in the axles themselves. Try turning the car around and parking in a different spot and then measure again. You'd be surprised how much the rear end can shift just from being moved. Damage from accidents, suspension wear, or even factory "allowances" can all affect the rear axle alignment.
The car is currently on stands. I’ve had the control arms out reinstalled and tightened up with the weight of the car on them just to make sure nothing was binding. I’ll give it another look