• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Power door locks only work with iginition on?

Foxnotch28

Getting ready to tackle the keyless entry install for my notch. This leads me to a question. Is it normal for the power door locks to only work when the car is running? They don't work in my car unless it is running. Seems like I remember my '87 GT having pdl and they worked when pressing the button without any key even in the ignition. Just want to clarify how things are supposed to be. I haven't owned a fox Mustang for over a decade.

Blown347

Staff member
No they are supposed to be hot at all times. There are two power leads that come off of the switch, one for the windows, which is ACCY/RUN, and the locks are supposed to stay hot.

I'm deployed and don't have my car in front of me or I'd tell you which one it is. In the tech section you should be able to find it in the wiring diagrams. Something has obviously been spliced up. I'll search a little and try and tell you for sure which wire it is an where it should get power from.

Foxnotch28

To update: The car doesn't have to be running for the locks to work, but the button only works with the door closed. I will likely find out more about what's going on when I get inside the doors tomorrow. I will be replacing the window guide bushings and the window run channel weatherstrip.

Foxnotch28

Follow-up: There was a broken wire in my door harness. This is why the locks only worked with the door closed. I got a door wiring harness from a '93 in my local junk yard and solved that problem.