• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Plastic Dash Repair

FatblockFord

Has anyone repaired spots like the two screw holes in the dash bezel shown in the pic? If so, what did you use to build it back up?

Attachments

• 1988 Dash Repair.jpg
    1988 Dash Repair.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 4

broncojunkie

I recently saw a thread in another forum that looked interesting. I'm not sure I would use it in a high-stress area like mounting screw tabs, but it's worth mentioning for the cosmetic repairs. You can find a used/broken piece of plastic from the same or similar car. Find a part that matches the color. Break off pieces of plastic and dissolve in acetone, till you get a paste-like consistency. Put it where you want it and it will set back up to a hard plastic. This only works for abs plastic, I believe.

You may be able to use this with another method. Possibly use a piece of stainless mesh/screen and build up the acetone/abs mix to adhere it to the part. It wouldn't be hard to experiment before trying it on the part in question.

FatblockFord

I recently saw a thread in another forum that looked interesting. I'm not sure I would use it in a high-stress area like mounting screw tabs, but it's worth mentioning for the cosmetic repairs. You can find a used/broken piece of plastic from the same or similar car. Find a part that matches the color. Break off pieces of plastic and dissolve in acetone, till you get a paste-like consistency. Put it where you want it and it will set back up to a hard plastic. This only works for abs plastic, I believe.

You may be able to use this with another method. Possibly use a piece of stainless mesh/screen and build up the acetone/abs mix to adhere it to the part. It wouldn't be hard to experiment before trying it on the part in question.