• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Paint prep for exterior plastic?

broncojunkie

Just wondering if you guys have any tips for dealing with the plastic pieces. In a few weeks, I plan on starting work on the body of my 88. The previous owner had it repainted at some point, but it is peeling in spots. Some of the side molding is coming loose. The front and rear bumper covers have flaking/cracking paint as well as some slight deterioration of the plastic itself. The lower body kit is in similar condition.

Is it worth repairing all of this? I'm considering replacing the front bumper cover and side moulding, although I'm having some trouble finding replacement moulding. I figure about $400 just to replace them... and I'll still have to deal with the lower plastic and rear bumper cover (not sure those are still being produced).

I'm trying to figure out if it's just more cost/time effective to replace what I can, instead of trying to fix it. I figure the paint will need stripped completely, which I've never done on plastic parts.

broncojunkie

I ended up finding a nice used set. Both bumper covers and side skirts along with a bunch of other parts for $150.