• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Our new 88 GT

Rick82

Hello everyone, my wife and I did a thing and bought a 88 GT! I am a disabled vet that cannot work so this will hopefully fill my time and keep me from going too crazy! Lol. The car is in really good condition considering it’s age. I’m not entirely sure on the mileage of the car as the owner couldn’t give me much info. It does run and runs pretty well and that’s all I care about at this point. Some interesting things are going on under the hood. It has a MAF sensor but no hookup and I can’t find the cable, they removed the A/C, and the coolant catch doesn’t have a cap nor the sensor wiring. He did install an aftermarket temp gauge but I haven’t investigated how he hooked it up.
Anyway, I know that’s a lot of random info so here’s the pics! Sorry for the mess we are dealing with some bad storms right now.5F369E86-4FA4-491F-A20E-D55A36910E42.jpeg4C666B6D-D18D-4E46-837E-88EF3D9BB808.jpeg78ACDEEA-86C0-4326-8835-7690124EF498.jpegF4F94C3F-DDB0-4A35-8ABE-E58EF0513777.jpeg

broncojunkie

Thank you for your service!

That's a nice looking fox! In 88, only the CA compliant models were maf. Most were still speed density. In 89, all of them were maf. I'm not sure how to tell if yours is a California model, but I'm presuming there should be a tag on it somewhere. I'm guessing it's not, but someone added the maf intake tube and sensor (possibly in preparation for a maf swap). The best way to see what's going on is to look at the ecm in the passenger kick panel. You may have to remove it. There will be a tag on it. Just Google the part# and you will know if it's for maf or speed density. Nothing wrong with SD until you start getting into some real upgrades that require more fuel/air than it can handle. Bigger injectors, certain cams, forced induction, etc. I did the swap on my 88gt because I went from the stock 19# injectors to 24#, along with better heads, upper/lower intake, bigger throttle body, etc. The swap was fairly simple.

Rick82

Thank you for your service!

That's a nice looking fox! In 88, only the CA compliant models were maf. Most were still speed density. In 89, all of them were maf. I'm not sure how to tell if yours is a California model, but I'm presuming there should be a tag on it somewhere. I'm guessing it's not, but someone added the maf intake tube and sensor (possibly in preparation for a maf swap). The best way to see what's going on is to look at the ecm in the passenger kick panel. You may have to remove it. There will be a tag on it. Just Google the part# and you will know if it's for maf or speed density. Nothing wrong with SD until you start getting into some real upgrades that require more fuel/air than it can handle. Bigger injectors, certain cams, forced induction, etc. I did the swap on my 88gt because I went from the stock 19# injectors to 24#, along with better heads, upper/lower intake, bigger throttle body, etc. The swap was fairly simple.
Thanks for the info. I looked that up last night and that’s the plan today. I’m going to check out the ecm and go over the entire engine to see what all has been done. I’m not planning on doing anything major to the engine and trying to keep it as close as possible to stock so it may be better if it’s not fully converted.

broncojunkie

Mine ran pretty well with speed density. I believe I could have chosen a different cam and stuck with the 19# injectors and make about the same power. I was worried about duty cycle with the stock injectors, but they would have worked fine. I actually have 4 foxes right now...3 mustangs and a mercury capri. Only one is a running, driving car. The rest are works in progress. I drive my 79 pace car around occasionally but it's really set up as a weekend drag car...low gear, too much cam, loud, no power steering, etc. My plan is to set up my capri as a cruiser. I'm at the point where I would get way more enjoyment out of a mild road car that I can just putt around in. Just having a radio/stereo that I can hear would be awesome lol!

Blueknights75

Hello everyone, my wife and I did a thing and bought a 88 GT! I am a disabled vet that cannot work so this will hopefully fill my time and keep me from going too crazy! Lol. The car is in really good condition considering it’s age. I’m not entirely sure on the mileage of the car as the owner couldn’t give me much info. It does run and runs pretty well and that’s all I care about at this point. Some interesting things are going on under the hood. It has a MAF sensor but no hookup and I can’t find the cable, they removed the A/C, and the coolant catch doesn’t have a cap nor the sensor wiring. He did install an aftermarket temp gauge but I haven’t investigated how he hooked it up.
Anyway, I know that’s a lot of random info so here’s the pics! Sorry for the mess we are dealing with some bad storms right now.View attachment 3236View attachment 3237View attachment 3239View attachment 3240
Beautiful car!! Congratulations on the purchase!