• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

One Owner

One Owner 1982

Good morning! I’m new to the forum but I’ve been following comments for a while. My car is a 1982 Hatchback GL. I purchased it new from Burchet Ford in Lebanon TN. It’s 4 cyc 5 speed. It’s been in storage for 15 years and I’ve just begun get it back on the road. So far I’ve stripped and polished the original 190/65/390 TRX wheels. Ordered new tires. I’ve changed the front struts, ball joints, break lines, rack and pinion, tie rod ends, rear brake lines and rear brake cylinders, changed differential oil, transmission oil, engine oil, new gas tank, sending unit and fuel pump, blew out the fuel line and flushed out break lines.

Started it up and running great! Can’t wait to get my tires and then front alignment.

I have a lot of other things to repair and replace on it but it sure feels good to drive it after all these years.

Erkenbrand

It's great you're bringing it back to life! Have any pictures?

I'm working on a 1980 that I bought from a person who had it sitting in a garage for a bit over 20 years. Slowly bringing it back bit by bit. :)

Erkenbrand

Yep, just replaced the upper steering column bearing and I’m still waiting on my tires.
Sounds like fun! If you didn't, take a look at the rag joint, too. I didn't, and my first test drive almost went south when the car wouldn't track. The rag joint was pretty much gone with just a bit of bolt still holding it together. I replaced it with an improved shaft that has a U-joint rather than the rag joint. Handled great after that.

One Owner 1982

I replaced the rag joint a while back. I’m trying to upload pictures but the site keeps telling me they are too big. I will keep trying.

One Owner 1982

I was finally able to get some pictures loaded.

Attachments

• IMG_5302.jpg
    IMG_5302.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5415.jpg
    IMG_5415.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5463.jpg
    IMG_5463.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5464.jpg
    IMG_5464.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5465.jpg
    IMG_5465.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 2
  • PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • PICT0021 (Small).JPG
    PICT0021 (Small).JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 2

One Owner 1982

I bought it in Jan 1983. I guess no one wanted it because it was a 4 cylinder, and I needed a car with good gas milage at the time. My wife and I dated in it, went on our honeymoon in it. My oldest son learned to drive in it. It was parked in a garage in 2007. I started reviving it this year and I intend to drive it for fun mostly.

Erkenbrand

That's a wonderful story. Keep it tuned and on the road. A close friend of mine had a similar Mustang . . . 82 or 83 that she learned to drive in. But it eventually rusted away around her to the point that the passenger door fell off one day when a hinge pulled away from the post.

One Owner 1982

That's a wonderful story. Keep it tuned and on the road. A close friend of mine had a similar Mustang . . . 82 or 83 that she learned to drive in. But it eventually rusted away around her to the point that the passenger door fell off one day when a hinge pulled away from the post.
Now that's a sad story. I will post more pictures as soon as my TRX tires get in and i get the original wheels back on it.

One Owner 1982

I’m working on another common problem with Fox Body cars. My driver’s seat outboard aft mount has broken out of the floor. I ordered LMRs repair plate. Just bolted it in and it’s already strengthened the floor and mounts. Preparing the car now to get the plate welded in. I’ve attached a couple of pictures of the plate and it bolted in.

Attachments

• 80EEDE0B-6805-4CC7-851A-D635F111B5A5.jpeg
    80EEDE0B-6805-4CC7-851A-D635F111B5A5.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 12E21771-1210-4925-A1B8-1DE7249E68A3.jpeg
    12E21771-1210-4925-A1B8-1DE7249E68A3.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1

broncojunkie

Awesome car! So many of the 4 cyl cars got parted out or converted to v8. Yes, the 2.3 was underpowered, but great engines. In fact, as common as they were, they're getting tough to find these days. A lot of them were used for racing and my understanding is that they're pretty strong motors. I've seen boosted 2.3's with over 300hp. I'd just like to find one to drop in my 82 capri, but I've just about given up. I can find the fuel injected one but not the carbed version. I have a few 302's lying around, so I guess I'll go with that.

So how much are the tires going for now? Is Coker still the only company producing them? I have a set of the aftermarket trx-style wheels in 16", which should be a little cheaper when I get around to buying them.

One Owner 1982

I got a set of 19/65/390’s including road hazard warranty for $1400.00.

Only problem is the wait. They are shipping in April and I should have them by May. Michelin only runs them once a year and only at the France factory.

One Owner 1982

I got a set of 19/65/390’s including road hazard warranty for $1400.00.

Only problem is the wait. They are shipping in April and I should have them by May. Mitchlin only runs them once a year.

Attachments

• BC353B30-C30C-4299-9813-7C907EB2D6CD.png
    BC353B30-C30C-4299-9813-7C907EB2D6CD.png
    124 KB · Views: 0

One Owner 1982

My car is an original Carbureted 4 Cylinder. It has a little more power than original though. I bored it 30 over, put a slightly lifted cam in it and a header. Removed all the smog junk off it. I can spin tires in second if I want to. I use to go to a lot of car shows in my 20’s so there’s a lot of chrome under the hood and most of it is in bad shape. Nevertheless I just want to drive it now when the weather is good and I’m in the mood for a Sonic milkshake.