• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Newbie. My 88 LX 5.0 convertible does not want to go into first Help.

Daniel T.

I'm new to the forum. My 88 LX 5.0 convertible that I bought new has been sitting in storage. But I finally have to time to address some its cosmetic issues. I started it no problem but... It doesn't want to go into first gear. If you shut the car off I can put it in first gear and the other gears easily. I'm no professional mechanic but I need to fix it. Ideas suggestion? I would welcome all that know the inside mechs of what's going on. Big thank you up front. I want to get this fixed before I do the interior and top and paint.

Thanks
Daniel T.

broncojunkie

It sounds to me like the clutch isn't disengaging all the way. Does it have the stock clutch and quadrant in it? (Or maybe someone has added a firewall adjuster?) .... I'm also presuming we're talking about a manual transmission.

RCMUSTANG

Check your fluid and make sure it's not gear oil. If it's the stock clutch cable setup pull up on the clutch pedal to self adjust.