• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Newbee to site!

4eyeJay

Just want to introduce myself. This is actually the first forum I joined. I have a 1986 mustang gt convert that is all stock. Trying to get info on some handling and performance upgrades. Thank you!! I have had it about a month and I put in a cold air intake. Don't see much of a difference with that. Anyway the previous owner had only put flow master mufflers on it. So now I have those 2 mods on it. Any input on what to do next would be great! Nothing to expensive please. I think I want to do something about the handling. Real boat like. Want to stiffin it up. I here subframe connectors and sway bars will do the trick. I will post a picture as soon as I can.

Blown347

Staff member
How radical are you trying to go?

So far as cheap performance stuff, electric fan and underdrive pulleys will free up 20ish HP. The serpentine system is very parasitic.

Next cheap one is an explorer intake manifold, you will see a significant power gain for pretty cheap. You should get a larger throttle body to match as well.

A decent set of shorty headers and a hi flow catted h pipe will sound great and give you some more.

And it doesn't free up power, but new rear end gears will give you much more acceleration andante the car feel like you gained a bunch. If you daily drive it I wouldn't go any higher than 3.55s stick, 3.73s auto.

All of the above will cost you around 850 in parts. The exhaust is the most expensive pieces.

Explorer intake can be had for 80 bucks. Underdrives 80ish bucks, fan around 80 bucks, brand new gears are 200.